2017 Internationaux de France Free Dance | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017 Internationaux de France Free Dance

Alba

Record Breaker
The agreements are already clear! Total destruction of Russian ice dance for Russian ladies while America gets dance!

That's what I was thinking. Russia has 3 ladies in the final, so "sacrificing" one is not a big deal, in exchange for one team in dance.
To be fair though. The destruction of the Russian dance is totally on the Russian federation.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Well best FD of the nights :

1)P/C
2)Guignard/Fabbri
3)Step/Bukin

2 and 3 maybe for debate. But Guignard/Fabbri blew me away. That was so next level to a point where I think their lifts and (especially) their edges are a country mile better than C/L (I know it's my opinion but I have noticed this for a while now... and I love C/L a lot). A lot of you say S/B should be no.1 in Russia, that issue is starting in Italy then...

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
With the results here, the three American dance team are back at the GPF. Am I right?

And possibly no Russian dance team again. C/L of ITA can easily bump B/S of RUS out of 6th place IF they win silver at SA with their score similar to NHK. Correct? That would be the tie-breaker.

Here's my figuring:

Definitely in:
30: Tessa/Scott
30: French
26: Chock/Bates

Presumed in:
Shibs (15); they'll make it with 4th or higher at Skate America

*24: Hubbell/Donahue; TV said they're already in, but there are 3 teams with 9 points (most notably Piper & Paul) who mathematically could knock them out with: a shock win (9+15 beats 13+11), the Italians have a very high 2nd-place score (11+13) & the Shibs are 3rd or 4th (15+11 or 15+9).

But looking about 99% likely for 3 USA teams in the Final.

Winnie

Rinkside
well, in the olympics 2014, I didn't even knew that P/C existed.

Well, PC had fans back then and it was a story that the French Fed worked against them to keep them from going to the Games so you probably just weren't an obsessive ice dance fan at the time. It was their first senior year, that's true.

I do agree things would have been different if I/K hadn't split.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That's what I was thinking. Russia has 3 ladies in the final, so "sacrificing" one is not a big deal, in exchange for one team in dance.
To be fair though. The destruction of the Russian dance is totally on the Russian federation.

I agree the destruction of Russian ice dance is on russia. They knew they had more talented ladies than ice dance teams so decided to focus on ladies! Their dance teams are coached by people like zhulin, Tchaikovskaya, svinan and zhuk and other assorted nobodies and has beens! They don’t want to be seen doing anything for dance. They must protect the ladies. All of them!

Alba

Record Breaker
Well, PC had fans back then and it was a story that the French Fed worked against them to keep them from going to the Games so you probably just weren't an obsessive ice dance fan at the time. It was their first senior year, that's true.

I do remember P&C in Sochi, and before Sochi. They used to have some modern programs which I actually liked. After Mozart program, which was a masterpiece, they have gone a bit too cheesy for my taste though. This is the only criticism I have. But then again, V&M have disappointed me with their "conservative" choices also. I was expecting much more from them. May the best of the night win though.

Giselle

Medalist
So as of now, P/C have the top 4 FD scores right?

IIRC V/M's record is 117+ when P/C scored 118+ at 2016 worlds, 119+ at both 2017 Worlds and 2017 Cup of China and now 120+ here.

Ender

Match Penalty
I wonder if the watches for 2nd and 3rd are smaller than the watches for 1st. *watching the medal presentation with bemusement*

- - - Updated - - -

If they got dropped and they were glass that could be disastrous.
Yeah I am sure they’re plastic again, for safety...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I do remember P&C in Sochi, and before Sochi. They used to have some modern programs which I actually liked. After Mozart program, which was a masterpiece, they have gone a bit too cheesy for my taste though. This is the only criticism I have. But then again, V&M have disappointed me with their "conservative" choices also. I was expecting much more from them. May the best of the night win though.

I really miss Pink Floyd/Woodkid Papadakis and Cizeron. I get those programs aren't maybe conclusive to their strengths now...but I'd love to see some of that edginess come back. I saw some of that edginess in the FD last year.

I'm glad to see Virtue and Moir because of their superb skill as dancers and expression, but some of their program choices have me scratching my head a bit, especially given their desire to come back to advance artistically. The Prince SD was very inspired though.

Last edited:

blancanieves

On the Ice
Here's my figuring:

Definitely in:
30: Tessa/Scott
30: French
26: Chock/Bates

Presumed in:
Shibs (15); they'll make it with 4th or higher at Skate America

*24: Hubbell/Donahue; TV said they're already in, but there are 3 teams with 9 points (most notably Piper & Paul) who mathematically could knock them out with: a shock win (9+15 beats 13+11), the Italians have a very high 2nd-place score (11+13) & the Shibs are 3rd or 4th (15+11 or 15+9).

But looking about 99% likely for 3 USA teams in the Final.

G/P didn't medal at their first Grand Prix, they have no chance of making the final. The tie breakers (highest total combined score, etc.) kick in only for teams who have the same amount of qualifying points due to earning similar medals, 2 silver, 2 bronze, 1 silver + 1 bronze, etc.

Barb

Record Breaker

The point is nobody was talking about they would dominate this quad. It was all about I/K. So, I don´t think is sure that P/C will continue dominating the next 4 years, especially because I realize that who dominate depends more on personal preferences and politics than actual skating/skaters.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The point is nobody was talking about they would dominate this quad. It was all about I/K. So, I don´t think is sure that P/C will continue dominating the next 4 years, especially because I realize that who dominate depends more on personal preferences and politics than actual skating/skaters.

And let's consider that four years ago, would have ANYONE imagined the Shibs would have won two more world medals and beat Chock/Bates again to get USA No. 1? Even as a big fan I did not see that happening.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Big Teams don’t really ever go down in PCs! P/c are getting 10s now and no one can match that for years maybe! Maybe not until after 2022 if p/c don’t retire.

Alba

Record Breaker
I really miss Pink Floyd/Woodkid Papadakis and Cizeron. I get those programs aren't maybe conclusive to their strengths now...but I'd love to see some of that edginess come back. I saw some of that edginess in the FD last year.

I'm glad to see Virtue and Moir because of their superb skill as dancers and expression, but some of their program choices have me scratching my head a bit, especially given their desire to come back to advance artistically. The Prince SD was very inspired though.

This. :thumbsup:
It's exactly that edginess I wanted from P&C. I thought they would go for that, after Mozart.
And yes, Prince SD is V&M best program, since their return. As you said, I thought they came back with the intention of pushing furthermore the ID artistically. Their FD this season is very difficult indeed, but there is nothing new or innovative artistically.

Guess what, the most innovative programs I've seen in the last two seasons, among top teams, were C&B SD and FD, and I am not even their fan. G&P have done some interesting things, but I do not consider them top team. The Danish couple did smth good 2 years ago. They've gone yawn now too, for me at least. I have no love for Dubreuil vision.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I think H/D are the obvious challengers starting next season. Their TES scores are very competitive. And of course some new teams always surprise us and rise after the post-Olympic wave of retirement.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Actually when they skated in 2013-2014, commentators raved about them. But after 2014, they finally trained properly by moving to Montreal (they couldn't before since France is too limited for ice hours, you have to wake up at 5 every day and you still don't have enough), and decided to put studies a bit aside.
Also, there were a lot of doors opened : no V/M, no D/W, no B/S (injured) and most importantly, no I/K. Then they had that superb free dance and people started talking about it, but it helped massively that C/L crashed at Cup of China 2014, and Shibs had so many level issues.
P/C just seized the opportunity quickly. Shibs did the same next season. It was supposed to be C/B, WeaPo an C/L dominating... and now it's V/M, P/C, Shibs (and maybe H/D if they are still consistent).

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think H/D are the obvious challengers starting next season. Their TES scores are very competitive. And of course some new teams always surprise us and rise after the post-Olympic wave of retirement.

Them and Stepanova/Bukin maybe. H/D always have huge TES.
I still don't know what the Shibs will do after 2018..