2017 JGP Brisbane Ladies SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Brisbane Ladies SP

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Aleksandra wins as she has the most difficult TES of all competitors here. Her BV is 2 - 5 points higher. That's Eteri's school! Her presentation though is a bit juniorish. And she also looked nervous during the first half of the program - her sit spin was rough. Then she found the confidence and the second half was much more impressive - kind of Nugumanova #2 with better jumps.

Gulyakova's skating is not what I like. Somewhat stiff with old style transitions. Jumps good though.

Japanese youngsters skated both quite well. The speed of Matsuoko's spins is amazing. Still she is not Lipnitskaya as her positions are not that difficult. And they also have to work on the jumps.

All in all I think that scores and placements are quite fair.

Kinda Disagree, i thought the gap between Sasha Trusova and Nastya should have been higher although the placements in general are fair.

The transitions on Trusova's SP were crazy difficult, easily some of the most difficult in ladies figure skating (including seniors), i thought the 3Ltz was +3 worthy for the transitions in and out, the height and the rippon variation
https://youtu.be/DtXMAr4mMk4?t=118

I don't know how judge n.1 gave her 5.75 on transitions. The program wasn't 100% clean (she lost speed in the first spin although i wouldn't call it rough, and the landing in the combo wasn't spot on) but very entertaining and she played with the audience which is soo rare to see in juniors.

Even Danill was shaking his head a little in the KnC when he saw the score, but i understand this is the first event of the season so if she shows consistency she will easily get higher scores, especially on the PCS in her case.

On the other hand Gulyakova had a clean SP (nice height and flow on her jumps), but the program itself was bland.

Riko Takino: Nice skater to watch, good skating skills, nice clean opening combo, the 3ltz a little messy, she was clearly lacking in transitions in the first half of the program: the first three elements with no transitions in and out. Nice to see Oda Nobunari as a coach.

Matsuoko: great spinner, jumps Satoko's like (always the question mark on the rotation). Programs from the two japanese are similar, not so original i would say.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Went back and watched Guliakova again, I liked her better on second viewing but I think the music is holding her back. I don't think it's the best choice for skating to. But she hit all or most of the beats nevertheless.

bookworm94

Rinkside
My thoughts on some of the Junior Ladies:
Sasha was amazing! The music choice, well. I am not going to comment on that. But she has this upbeat vibe that you don't expect from a Russian skater of Eteri's school? Nastya has excellent jumps, but overall I was a bit bored... maybe her performance skills will develop in the future. She's still young (like all the other girls :D)
I was also quite impressed by Riko Takino, good jumps and she could develop into a great performer in the future. She really attacked that music, a bit rough in places, but overall a very promising skater! Same goes for Akari Matsuoka, she jumps just like Satoko. I am looking forward to the girls' freeskates :)
Ting Cui, ah I enjoyed her performance. She has excellent technique and did anyone else notice the similarity to Yuna's dress back in the 2006/2007 season? The second American girl Kaitlyn shows also promise. She reminded me of a young Christina Gao, because of her lanky slightly awkward posture :D But shes's young, so I wouldn't worry about that yet.
Good luck in the freeskate to everyone!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I thought that Trusova was quite good. Perhaps even better than expected. I really liked how effortless her jumps seemed. She didn't stalk at all and the entries weren't extremely telegraphed like they tend to be for many junior skaters. I also liked the transitions after her elements. She also showed some impressive edgework that I believe has improved from what I saw last season. The Flip-Loop wasn't perfect and she couldn't gain any momentum off it, but still managed the transition while almost at a standstill, which also impressed me.

As a side note, I think that it's quite a joke that Gulyakova scored higher in PCS than she did. While Trusova still has a lot to work on in order to be as expressive and musical as Shcherbakova, for instance, Gulyakova's performance just did absolutely nothing and was very forgettable. I especially cannot understand her transitions being scored higher at all.

As for the rest of the competitors... Nothing to write home about, really. Only truly enjoyed Trusova here, and I believe that she can still offer quite a bit more.

Ah, right. Trusova's program itself I am not really a fan of, but I think that she might be able to perform that type of a program better when she's a few years older. Might have been better to go with something else.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the comments everyone :love:

It's been an interesting read ;)

BrazilianFan

Rinkside
I do believe that Trusova was underscored, but is her first competition of the season and also in the junior grand prix, the judges were careful with her PCs. I'm love with her and I believe that she is going to be the next Eteri Superstar

GoddessMinerva

Rinkside
I do believe that Trusova was underscored, but is her first competition of the season and also in the junior grand prix, the judges were careful with her PCs. I'm love with her and I believe that she is going to be the next Eteri Superstar

It's probably to do with the fact she was in the first group and the other Russian girl(Anastasia) was in the last group.

Kara

Final Flight
I cannot get over how TINY Trusova is. She has passion in her for sure though, but man, she's small. Both of the Japanese ladies are listed as shorter than her on their bios, but Trusova still seemed tinier to me. The 3Lz was FIRE!!:eekn: The speed and height she got on it with that kind of crazy entrance was amazing. Her coach with her in the K&C was lowkey judging the judges for the scores though.:laugh: Wasn't feeling the program itself on my first watch, but it's quickly growing on me.
Guliakova had amazing jumps! Tip top quality. As for her program itself, I felt kind of bored. With her rippons, her jumps just look so long. Fill up the rink man.
Glad Riko went clean! She seemed nervous though. There were bits and pieces where she had her flair, but overall felt stiff to me.
Akari!!!:luv17: The speed on her spins is the die for. I think the lack of height on her jumps is going to be a problem going forward and not quite there yet on the presentation side, but she shines with those spins. Really hoping she's going to get another JGP spot.
Wow it's the first time I've seen Ting, but she really impressed me! Pity on her first 2 spins, but she has speed and power.
Can't find Kaitlyn's SP.:confused:
Aww Su been. She seemed so nervous so I hope she fights back in the free since this her only JGP spot. I desperately want to straighten her knees in her sit spin. Actually, scratch that, I want to straighten her knees in general. Liked her entrance into her 2A though.
Eun bi has a GORGEOUS costume! Love, love LOVE! The girls bringing it with the undeniably world class fashion.:hap10: Such a pity about the combo jump and off axel other jumps. Also hoping that she has a good free since as with Su been this is her only JGP spot. Also, I'm devastated how Su been had to sit alone in the K&C because she and Eun bi share a coach so since Eun bi was right after her obviously the coach had to be there. Only one JGP spot that they apparently had to pay for the expenses themselves and no one to even sit in the K&C with her after.:sad21:

Side note, but so good to hear Ted again!

andromache

Record Breaker
Nice to see the US ladies skate okay at a JGP - seeing them placing just below the Russians/Japanese - and ahead of the rising South Koreans - might mean our future isn't totally hopeless :p. But now I've probably jinxed it for the LP.

I'll have to watch the videos when I get home from work. Looking forward to Trusova, especially.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Thoughts after seeing video:

Jackson: she's very smiley. :)

Trusova: she's adorable and a great performer. Cool transitions too.

SB: not a fan of vocal SITC but it was decent besides the fall.

EB: sparkly... :p Apart from that, I liked her but her music annoyed me. :(

Matsuoka: she really does remind me of a mini-Satoko. Also, her spins are amazing. :love:

Cui: her dress looks like Yuna's Roxanne one. Apart from that, she's springy and has a lot of energy. I like that. :)

Takino: she also reminds me of a mini-Satoko, but I liked her better than Akari.

Nguyen: she seems kind of spindly to me and I don't know why. :slink:

Guilakova: she looks a lot older than 14. :p Apart from that, she's very powerful and fast.

And that is all. Anyone I left out?

LadyB

Record Breaker
Just watched the vids. Sascha Trusova is absolutely amazing!!! Can't wait for the FS! However, Guliakova has great potential as well. Looks like Team Russia does not need to worry about the future as far as ladies are concerned :cool2:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Nice to see the US ladies skate okay at a JGP - seeing them placing just below the Russians/Japanese - and ahead of the rising South Koreans - might mean our future isn't totally hopeless :p. But now I've probably jinxed it for the LP.

Those are the wrong Koreans for that comparison though... :slink:

Ender

Match Penalty
She skated early and she's tiny. People tend to give more attention to more mature ladies, and of course skate order play a part too.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
She skated early and she's tiny. People tend to give more attention to more mature ladies, and of course skate order play a part too.

Her transition scoring was a complete joke. They were extremely difficult and varied without much delay. The entries to the jumps were incredible and almost unprecedented for juniors. I'm honestly not sure how you can give her a 6.x for transitions, no matter the excuse you want to use. I can hardly come up with a skater with more difficult and varied ones apart from Medvedeva.