2017 JGP Brisbane Short Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Brisbane Short Dance

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
peese thanks for the interesting bit of trivia. Now I get why Bruce also continues to play hockey. And why he was on skates at 14 months old.

azcalder

Rinkside
Polishchuck & Vakhnov, Lewis & Bye, Gropman & Somerville did not compete in the 2017 LPID International. They competed in the LP Championships (called domestic). The Russians in the SD and FD + a Mexican team in the FD were the only non American teams. I couldn't locate the list of judges or the protocols, but the SD scores were: L&B 59.02, P&V 57.39, G&S 55.46 FD scores were: P&V 77.60, L&B 73.86, G&S 73.64.

peese

Medalist
peese thanks for the interesting bit of trivia. Now I get why Bruce also continues to play hockey. And why he was on skates at 14 months old.

You're very welcome Mango. Certainly a very talented family!! Casey and Kittys' mom was also a coach at Cricket Club. All are redheads too.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Protocols are up. The judge n°3 (AUS) gave -GOEs to almost all of the teams...

Aussie judges seem to be notoriously hard scorers! Whenever I watch an old video on YouTube from the 6.0 era an Aussie always gave the lowest score. :laugh:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Just caught the tail end of this performance. I liked that lift!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Wait it's apparently over. :palmf:

Why did I think I was watching the stream live?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do not think I have ever seen quite so many calls for choreographic violations and music violations. I wonder whether this will be a trend for the season?

humbaba

Final Flight
I do not think I have ever seen quite so many calls for choreographic violations and music violations. I wonder whether this will be a trend for the season?

Yes, every team got at least one call for violation of choreography restrictions. Most got several calls and three teams received enough calls to get a deduction. I wonder what's going on. Communication problems between TPTB and coaches, or judges or what?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I wonder if it's the touching during the no touch step sequences or the permitted stops. I know they're allowed to have a permitted stop within the no touch step up to five seconds (so long as they don't exceed the number of allowable permitted stops...two five second permitted stops or one ten second one...and I wonder if some teams exceeded the length or number of permitted stops.

Giselle

Medalist
I think that you're probably right. According to the USFS chart:

For season 2017-18

After the clock is started with the first movement, the couple must not remain in one place for more than 10 seconds during the program:

Permitted stops (junior) up to two full stops (duration must not exceed 5 seconds each) or up to one full stop (duration must not exceed 10 seconds) are permitted. During a stop the couple may or may not touch each other and choreography may be stationary or slightly moving any direction. Stop options include:

- A permitted stop up to 5 secs in Not touching step sequence
- A permitted stop may be used anywhere in the program excluding within the Pattern Dance Element
- A Choreographic Spinning Movement which travels with not be considered a stop

Note: A violation of stop restrictions, pattern restrictions, touching the ice and separations must be penalized by judges for violation of choreographic restrictions.

I think that latin is much more prone to "static" choreography than say waltz or blues.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
the first canadian couple were overscored imo

Maybe not so much in Brisbane, but in Quebec, for sure. The overscoring in Quebec (65 in the SD) is why they were disappointed with their score here.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe not so much in Brisbane, but in Quebec, for sure. The overscoring in Quebec (65 in the SD) is why they were disappointed with their score here.

Actually, I think they were more disappointed with the mistakes on the twizzles. You could tell they were disappointed before they saw the scores. I doubt Quebec had much to do with it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

nope... they were disappointed because they made a mistake here...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I think that you're probably right. According to the USFS chart:

I think that latin is much more prone to "static" choreography than say waltz or blues.

Are these new, very recent rules? Seems weird choreographers wouldn't account for these things in these programs to the point every one of the dance pairs got at least 1 violation. Or are juniors, due to more inexperience, just more prone to make these kind of mistakes?

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
ooooooooo i really like that, favourite so far.
also he is a little bundle of adorable sass and it's great
I really liked them too. But why a "little" bundle :laugh:? He is 19 after all - really not so "little" anymore ;).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, I think they were more disappointed with the mistakes on the twizzles. You could tell they were disappointed before they saw the scores. I doubt Quebec had much to do with it.

They were a bit off on the pattern as well as the twizzles

STw3 twizzles level 3

1cc3+kpnyy, 2cc3+kpyyn This is the pattern dance.
Each pattern has 3 keypoints. y means they hit the key point and n means they missed it. They missed one key point on each of the two patterns.
If all the keypoints are met, the pattern is rated as 1cc4 or 2cc4. That rating is reduced for each keypoint in the pattern that is not met. If none were met, the rating would be 1cc1 or 2cc1.

NtMlSt3 level 3 on the midline no-touch step sequence (no one got level 4 on this element)

The second Russian team got L4 twizzles and all 3 keypoints on both patterns; the top Russian team got L4 twizzles and all 3 keypoints on the first pattern but missed one keypoint on the second.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Sorry CaroLiza....as 4everchan pointed out, they are brothers three years apart and not twins. Never bothered to check bios as I was told many times that they were. My bad...

George and Bruce are not twins. But George is a twin :) (who he used to skate years ago as well) I don't think George had triples (at least not in competition) and he stopped skating singles (maybe at Novice?) quite a number of years ago now -at least 3 or 4 IIRC .

Giselle

Medalist
Are these new, very recent rules? Seems weird choreographers wouldn't account for these things in these programs to the point every one of the dance pairs got at least 1 violation. Or are juniors, due to more inexperience, just more prone to make these kind of mistakes?

Not very recent, since 2014 I believe. The stopping/touching in the middle of the no touch step sequence is recent. Here's last year's chart.

I think that it really depends on the judge's interpretation of what a stop is. IIRC the Shibutanis got 1 violation in the SD at Worlds this year and they're clearly not an inexperienced team. I didn't have any consequences for them since you need at least 4 violations to have a deduction...