2017 World Ladies SP | Page 110 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I think Karen has my favorite skate of the night.

Mai is my fave, and I'm sad she fell. I realized she was my fave when I was the most nervous watching her skate, and nerves don't lie.

I like Laurine, but she feels very regular modern dance girl to me. I'm not sure it's quite as avant-garde as some proclaim.

does anyone know why MB Meite wasn't replaced? They could have sent the french championships bronze medalist

Evgenia and Kaetlyn were both pleasant moments that passed in a woosh and that I don't remember much of

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But, I've seen enough. it's not just the loose calls, it's the GOE being thrown out.

There were some questionable calls, but I think the GOE scores looked accurate. The three combos getting massive GOE were Evgenia's, Kaetlyn's, and Gabby's. All had steps and speed into and out of the combo. Evgenia had two variations in air position, while Kaetlyn and Gabby had terrific height. Those were worthy of +3 because they needed to be scored well ahead of the others on quality alone.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Karen's 3T looks rotated to me in slow mo because I can see where she took off. Her total air time revolution is at least 2.5x, which is more than enough for back-end triple toe. Most other girls pre-rotated the hell out of the backend 3T. If you compare it to Anna's 3T, Karen's had more air revolution. Go back and check.
She's fine. The problem with her 3T is she always rotates on ice at the end. It's like she can't stop the rotation. The extra ice rotation is over-rotated part of the triple. Someone needs to work with her to fix that technique because it looks suspicious all the time.

marlet

Rinkside
Mai ... why... :( anyway good luck for your fs...

I really like Osmond, she looks really elegant :)

Evgenia is incredible, so consistent, I actually like her rippon 3t more than all her tanos but she was great!!:luv17:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yep, Anna just didn't get the GOEs this time. Didn't get the free leg out in her jumps fast enough or not a lot of ride out, and the spins were just a bit slower today. But she's still one of my favorites to podium.

Yes ... not her best day, but not bad at all. In strong contention for podium. Still that was (together with Kaetlyn) ex aequo my favourite performances of this SP.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Evgenia is incredible, so consistent, I actually like her rippon 3t more than all her tanos but she was great!!:luv17:

That's because you can't helicopter a rippon.
Evgenia is really a beast. She's shutting down those talks of Alina's being the best TES grabber real soon.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were some questionable calls, but I think the GOE scores looked accurate. The three combos getting massive GOE were Evgenia's, Kaetlyn's, and Gabby's. All had steps and speed into and out of the combo. Evgenia had two variations in air position, while Kaetlyn and Gabby had terrific height. Those were worthy of +3 because they needed to be scored well ahead of the others on quality alone.

I wasn't particularly referring to the top ladies. Although, I will say that I prefer bigger jumps to arm variation on smaller jumps.

In general, my feeling is this: If microscopic examination is required to determine if a jump got all the way around, then it wasn't done well enough to warrant positive GOE.

da96103

Record Breaker
So you only have a problem with Kostner's ranking, glad we sorted that out. In which place would you have her? Throwing cabbage for 1-2 points only seems a bit severe to me. We still have the FS.

I would minus 2 marks off Kostner's PCS and put her between Elizabeth and Dabin.

da96103

Record Breaker
It's there. She has an an obscene amount of attention to detail and not even the slightest bobble. We don't have to like the programs but she is a solid rock that doesn't seem to make errors. Kaetlyn gets away with a flutz so let's not criticize too much considering if that were called she could lose 3pts in TES right there although Zhenia flutzes too just slightly less noticeably. Should I break out the Jumpamatron :laugh:

I vastly prefer Kaetlyn's program to Zhenia but that's just my personal preference. My last girlfriend urged me to unfriend Kaetlyn on Instsgram because she was too pretty and too high on my previous searches so maybe I'm a bit sweet on Kaetlyn too :laugh:

So your girlfriend became an ex because you chose Katelyn over her.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was an Anna fan before it was cool to be an Anna fan....and I thought the -3T was as close as Karen's and Ashley's. Lenient caller helped a lot of people, but people only want to pick on the skaters they don't like.

I would like to compliment you on your fairness. I like both Anna and Ashley, Kaetlyn and Gaby and Carolina and Evgenia for all different reasons. I feel the judges basically got it right. The gals 3-7 are clustered quite close. We will see what the free skate brings.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Boy, I think Medvedeva and Osmond (and Gabby to a degree) are a bit overscored on tech and PCS. I think Karen Chen deserved a bit more on PCS. I think Ash Wagner is being way under-rated, and Sotskova way over-rated, especially on PCS. No way Sotskova should be ahead of Wagner by percentage points. I think Ash deserved somewhere at least 71+ based on the way the scores were being handed out. But coming in as second place American isn't helpful to her.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the fp, both with performances and with the judges' scoring

Last edited:

leafygreens

Final Flight
Someone said Mevedeva skates bored. And I, in return, am always bored watching her. This type of Bambi-ish, lanky, huge boot flopping around skating just doesn't do it for me (and Zagitova is waiting in the wings to continue it.) Med wins by exploiting the points system and for some reason the judges give her matching PCS which I don't think is deserved. Another day, another Med win/world record or whatever. Zzzz. But totally expected all the same.

UR for Ashley is not very clear to me. Karen's looks like she overspun/hooked the exit making it look shorter (optical illusion.) But if you look at the take off point the landing is not UR from that point.

I see what Ashley means by saving up her fire for next year. That's a mistake. Last year she was had a fire and spark on ice. This year, it's like that spark is gone and she's going through the motions. I think the judges see this and are holding back on her scores.

I think it is her extremely underwhelming, lackluster SP music/choreography choice. There is nothing exciting about this music for her to build a good program off of. Any good results she gets from SP are despite of the program, not because of it. She overplayed her world silver medalist hand for this season. She should have played it more straight through the Olympics and save the techno for retirement or the less competitive post-Olympic year. It's not the techno itself that's so annoying but probably the "same-ness" from start to finish. No highs, lows or emotional points and then the music just cuts off with no build-up.

Last edited:

KMK0902

On the Ice
WOW - just logged on and saw the standings after the short. I have not seen any skates, but WOW, way to go Canadian Ladies!!!! Hope they can hold on to get 3 spots for next year!!!

skatinggold

On the Ice
I think Karen was way underscored compare to some of the other ladies. She got the best spins in the competition but is she getting the credit for it compare to some of those spins performed by the top ladies. That program was magical from Karen. Plus look at those ladies who prerotate their jump. Her jumps were huge. Look at the height and distance of that axel she got. She is the only US lady who I think will land a triple axel cleanly. Karen should be given credit for not prerotating and unlike like some top skaters who cheat on their jumps.

Last edited: