2017 World Ladies SP | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm super tired after putting in 3.5 hours of watching skating but I would have it no other way! My quick thoughts after the SP:

Evgenia: Just as expected. The tano-rippon feature in her combo was nice. Despite her clean skating I'm always a little sad that she doesn't excite/move me more. Still, great to see her lay down another flawless skate. She's on her way to back-to-back titles

Kaetlyn: So thrilled to see he knock it out of the park! She had the skate of the segment for me. So much speed, power, personality and still elegance and grace. Loved her! I always worry about her FS but at least she has a solid lead over the rest of the field. If she can just semi-keep it together in the FS she should land in the top 5.

Gabby: So happy to see her throw down as well! That lutz was hella tight but she nailed it and finished everything strongly. She's definitely in podium position if she can maintain.

Anna: Her jumps weren't as big and secure as the Canadian women which is why she didn't score higher. Still, to skate last behind a whole group worth of solid/great skates is a major accomplishment. Anna has a better shot at silver than the Canadians based off of her consistency alone but if either of them skate cleanly that could change.

Karen: Praise Jebus, she came through! I was so worried about her and lo and behold she's the top US finisher so far. I thought her combo would receive a UR but she was definitely right on that 1/4 turn mark; it could have gone either way and I'm glad she got the call. She's usually relatively solid in the FS so fingers crossed she can deliver again.

Maria: Solid performance from her. I find her to be pleasant to watch but I do think she should have been behind Ashley based on performance alone

Ashley: I really expected to see URs or dropped levels to account for the lower TES score but she got credit for all of the jumps and got level 4 on all of her spins. I think her performance was wonderful but the slower spins and footwork probably affected her overall look on the ice. Plus, the program is just not as strong as last year's. Still, she did her job and is in a good position to still land in the top 5 where we need her.

Carolina: Pretty rough skate for her but she's still in a good position to land in the top 10 which is all she needs.

Really strong skating from the top women and that final group. Canada and the US are in good position for 3 spots; Japan will likely only get 2 next year. With the exception of Evgenia, I expect to see 2nd through 8th shuffle quite a bit in the FS. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I don't get all the harping on Ashley's SP music/choreo? How can anyone dislike a song as cool as Sweet Dreams? And her choreo fits that song well, she performs with great energy. She was one of the most engaging ladies, at here in the arena.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mai ... why... :( anyway good luck for your fs...

I really like Osmond, she looks really elegant :)

Evgenia is incredible, so consistent, I actually like her rippon 3t more than all her tanos but she was great!!:luv17:

Evgenia is the best right now, but I do think she is getting massive gifts on her second mark.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Did u even watch Carolinas program? Lots of mistakes. She was over scored.

What mistakes? Tight landing on flip which is less costly than no clear steps into solo jump which a lot of girls have problem with.
Her one mistake is the spin.

PCS are not TES

Last edited:

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I missed all this due to the nasty complication of a thing called work. Now going to have to catch up on videos, but I admit I am so excited. I never thought I would see two Canadian ladies in a medal position. I am not counting on it carrying over, but for now I can just be happy.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't get all the harping on Ashley's SP music/choreo? How can anyone dislike a song as cool as Sweet Dreams? And her choreo fits that song well, she performs with great energy. She was one of the most engaging ladies, at here in the arena.

Yes, and the audience was into it, too. Her PCS should have been comparable to, or better, than Med's.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I kind of get the lower PCS for Karen. She has bent knees a lot, and it is particularly noticeable on her spins. Her spins (speed) and jumps are great, but I feel like she does lack polish.

I don't think it's a lack of polish for Karen so much as her needing to project more confidence. Hopefully that will come. Mariah could have placed better without the unecessary mistake. I would be so glad to see a ladies skater come along who has all the gifts along with an edgy style and confidence. I wonder if it's too much to ask the Skate Gods to give Gracie Gold the confidence next season to go along with her humongous talent?

The Russians are always so over-rated. They are good with tech generally, but their PCS is uncalled for. Medvedeva has a lot of talent, but it is not being guided and developed properly. They really should take off for those unsightly head-hugging arm wraps and the terrible choreo with overbearing music. Med's two arms overhead jumping pass is pretty. She needs better overall packaging. She's always so over-scored. Maria Sotskova can skate, but she has nothing about her that stands out as unique or special.

Gabby and Kaetlyn are bonafide. I hope the Canadians, and Karen, Ash and Mariah hold it together in the fp.

I don't care as much for Alaine Chartrand, but she's a talented skater. I just don't think she's as talented as Gabby and Kaetlyn. And I prefer Gabby over Kaetlyn, although when she's clean Kaetlyn does shine. It's just that Kaetlyn tends to be inconsistent. That's what I mean about wishing to see someone with tremendous talent really come out working on all cylinders in the ladies division. Certainly if these standings hold similarly in the fp, Alaine will have the opportunity to make the Canadian Olympic team for next season. And Japan is in danger of only being able to send two ladies to the Olympics next season. At this rate, Canada will be mining for team gold at the Olympics!

If Medvedeva actually was packaged better and stopped with the histrionics and if the Russians in general would stop being over-hyped and always looking so desperate and entitled at the same time, I might be able to enjoy them better.

I suppose Mai Mihara was feeling some pressure coming in as 4CCs champ, and with Satoko Miyahara out injured.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I wasn't particularly referring to the top ladies. Although, I will say that I prefer bigger jumps to arm variation on smaller jumps.

In general, my feeling is this: If microscopic examination is required to determine if a jump got all the way around, then it wasn't done well enough to warrant positive GOE.

I would not call Medvedeva's jumps small. They're not that big / huge as with Daleman or Osmond but still above average for triples. I have to give her credit - they are better than let's say in late 2015. I find Osmond jumps more aesthetically appealing overall.

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
I find it absurd that since the GPF, Medvedeva's PCS margin in the short has only grown.

GPF (Medvedeva's 36.66 - Osmond's 34.92): 1.74
Worlds (Medvedeva's 36.91 - Osmond's 34.75): 2.16

Medvedeva skated better at the GPF, with more security & freedom. She was a little tight here in her performance and her PCS goes up. Osmond was great at both and her PCS goes DOWN?!? Osmond has GREAT transitions and her program checks ALL the component boxes. Definitely a superior program to Medvedeva's. Their PCS should've been the same overall, or even Osmond higher.

HOW did Medvedeva (+3 GOE) outscore Chen (+2.86) on spins? In particular, their flying camel spins. It didn't even look like Medvedeva got two stable rotations of her first camel position in. Chen had better positions, better speed, more rotations.

Why don't they just give Evgenia the medals now, so she doesn't have to bother competing with the rest of the lowly mortals on the ice? These scores don't reflect the reality of her performance versus the field's.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I find it absurd that since the GPF, Medvedeva's PCS margin in the short has only grown.

GPF (Medvedeva's 36.66 - Osmond's 34.92): 1.74
Worlds (Medvedeva's 36.91 - Osmond's 34.75): 2.16

It's not much of a difference. In the GPF, I think 2 skaters performed in between the two. Here, 5 did, and Kaetlyn and Evgenia were in different groups. Personally, I'd have them closer in PCS but I think a ~0.4 difference can be accounted for by the randomness of the skate order and personal preference of the judges.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I don't know why some people say that things ... "Evgenia's PCS is bad blahblah" ..... it's just funny to read.....

She has a lot of one-foot skating and transitions and few crossovers. Her program is packed with huge amounts of footworks. Also she executes every steps, turns and move precisely.
She has an an obscene amount of attention to detail and not even the slightest bobble.
She's doing the most with her blades and her body, comparing with other skaters..... It's quantity and QUILITY which judges should aword even more.
Nobady have to like her programs but she is a solid rock. Her SP is like a breeze of fresh air.
She's just on another level.  When she skates it's difficult take eyes off her.
She skates with natural elegance and genuine expression, with beautifully symmetrical revolutions to her jumps and spins that provide a dynamic because of their rapid acceleration and whip saw motion. In addition to her wonderful lines and extensions, her exquisite positions and elegant motions are natural expressions of her soul that are synchronized beautifully to the music. She also has smooth motion and erect posture heading into and out of her jumps

jaylee

Medalist
It's not much of a difference. In the GPF, I think 2 skaters performed in between the two. Here, 5 did, and Kaetlyn and Evgenia were in different groups. Personally, I'd have them closer in PCS but I think a ~0.4 difference can be accounted for by the randomness of the skate order and personal preference of the judges.

There shouldn't be any difference overall. Especially in the short program.

Judges need to score what's happening on the ice independently of other skaters, regardless of reputation, and random skate order shouldn't factor in THAT much. This huge score difference is because the judges have a fixed notion before the competition has even happened--Medvedeva is a 9+ skater in components, Osmond is an 8.5-9. Even though that is not at all true in reality or what happened on the ice.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't know why some people say that things ... "Evgenia's PCS is bad blahblah" ..... it's just funny to read.....

She has a lot of one-foot skating and transitions and few crossovers. Her program is packed with huge amounts of footworks. Also she executes every steps, turns and move precisely.
She has an an obscene amount of attention to detail and not even the slightest bobble.
She's doing the most with her blades and her body, comparing with other skaters..... It's quantity and QUILITY which judges should aword even more.
Nobady have to like her programs but she is a solid rock. Her SP is like a breeze of fresh air.
She's just on another level.  When she skates it's difficult take eyes off her.
She skates with natural elegance and genuine expression, with beautifully symmetrical revolutions to her jumps and spins that provide a dynamic because of their rapid acceleration and whip saw motion. In addition to her wonderful lines and extensions, her exquisite positions and elegant motions are natural expressions of her soul that are synchronized beautifully to the music. She also has smooth motion and erect posture heading into and out of her jumps

Here's an analogy you understand. When you draw poo, doesn't matter how many details you put into your drawing, it's still poo. Your poo can be the most elegant and genuine and symmetrical and emotional, and yet, still poo.

Evgenia is capable of doing better programs. What people are having problem with is the system rewarding her poo programs.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2017 Worlds: Ladies SP Highlights

Highlights with mixed zone quotes here.

Feel free to discuss thoughts here.

icybear

Medalist
Zijun was totally robbed in PCS today. Maybe there is actually a conspiracy against her - from the judges.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I was there live~ and I think Anna and Karen had the skates of the night (day?) for me. I love the music change for the step sequence in Anna's SP! Karen is really fast and fills the ice really well. Gabby had a HUGE combination, it almost looked like she was levitating.

I like Zijun, but I think when I see her live, she is visibly slower than other girls, so that could explain her PCS, but I still think she was underscored!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhenia's detractors are relentless :laugh:

If Medvedeva actually was packaged better and stopped with the histrionics and if the Russians in general would stop being over-hyped and always looking so desperate and entitled at the same time, I might be able to enjoy them better.

I'm sure you're trying your best. :cheer: