2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^ :agree: Mahler, for example, has stood the test of time so far.

Eh, agree to disagree. I think there have been quite a few "legendary" programs in ice dance since CoP, and I also generally prefer CoP ice dance to pre-CoP ice dance. P/C's "To Build a Home" happens to be my very favorite, but there's also D/W's Notre Dame and Scheherazade, V/M's Mahler, Carmen, Prince, and Moulin Rouge.

Meh, I guess. There have been a few programs that have been interpreted as well as they could be given the restrictions, but the rules make it the most boring discipline.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Well Dima Aliev skated to To Build a Home last season and made the piece his own. I think there might more compasism to him than P/C, their program was great but it's probably not a sginature or legendary piece. I think it will depend on them. I think though I will think of Dima hearing that music from now on.
As it was already said, Aliev is not an ice dancer, and neither he is a World or even European champion. So, if the question is, who P/P are more likely to be compared to - him or great ice dancers, three times World champions who also skated their FD to this music when they won one of those Worlds, I think the answer is obvious. And it has nothing to do with which program you personally liked better.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Adding that the second piece in McNamara/Carpenter's RD is Quejumbroso. The first one, Desde El Alma, is a vals - a tango with waltz rhythm. I was wondering if anyone would use a vals and it works beautifully!

Videos (thank you Vinyame for posting them in the Lake Placid thread):
M/C
RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIyMiTP5Sg
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUbgGVwaShg

P/P
RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYqZa0QnIk0
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HSaY7dnbzw
Thanks a lot, pearly. I am not sure about the RDs yet, but I can say that I like M/C's FD better than P/P's after the first watch, although the style is somewhat similar. Perhaps partially it has to do with Parsons choice of music - there are beautiful moments in their FD, but still I can't help but compare. And, while the choreo is nice, the feeling is just not there, at least for me. But I guess I also like the build in M/C's FD better.

Artemisa

Final Flight

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
My opinion that no one asked for, on the men :

Aliev’s FS sounds interesting. Hoping he can emote it.

Not sure I like the direction (or lack of direction) Jason is taking.

Good on Paul Fentz for keeping Game of Thrones, since if I had to skate a FS at the Olympics I would pick the GoT music. He needs to show everyone else it’s great music for skating, as movie and TV series scores often are. I know it’s not a movie but it has the production value of one.

LOVE Gogolev’s SP. It’s almost too good to ‘just’ be a junior program. I hope he’ll bring it back as a senior. And Sherlock Holmes soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, again good movie music for skating.

Boyand Jin doing basic pop ballad, I don’t I will love it, I don’t think I will hate it. Although I did hate Patrick Chan’s recent Beatles SP.

Jimmy Ma doing a Tango, choreo by Nikolaï Morozov? Sign me up!

Nam… Sinatra, really?

Kevin Reynolds, I have no idea what these musics are and I have nothad the time to listen to them, but if they are both video game musics it sounds promising.

Keiji Tanaka is more of the same, so I’m not too eager to see the programs

Shoma! Very eager to see his SP, his FS less so after having seen a snippet where he doesn’t really follow the change of tempo with steps. But I’m sure it will be nice.

Nathan : I don’t like the type of program that his SP is, but he looks like he can sell it. Not too sure about his FS, some parts look great, others less so, but it is still early for adjusments. I think he is better suited for lyrical than for edgy. Woodkid doesn’t suit him as well it does Gogolev.

On the ladies
:

I like Fire Dance, but I’m not sure Karen Chen is the best suited to it.

Disappointed by Wakaba’s program choices. I thought the music Energia had a lot of potential but the video of the program that surfaced was pretty sobering. I don’t like old fashioned Piaf for her either.

Marin Honda’s music choices are fine without being great. Not sure the programs make enough of a splash, which is what she needs. Although I don’t know the remix for her SP so if it’s some heavy dubstep she could stand out.

I’m indifferent to Clair de Lune for Kihira. Her FS however looks like it has a lot of potential.

Alysa Liu’s programs sound great.

I don’t like either of Medvedeva’s choices. The SP is far from my style, and although you guys say Yo Yo Ma is a big change for her, to me it sounds like more of the same violin music. Not the most fiery tango.

Mai’s SP… And she kept last season’s forgettable ‘Oboe’ as well…

Can’t wait for Satoko’s SP, the long program I feel like we have already seen this kind from her. Hope she can bring something new to that tango style, maybe a little more fierceness.

I think Bradi has potential as Juliet. Juliet wasn’t some kind of angel, and Bradie won’t pretend to be a sweet ingénue (or at least she can’t, not at 20-21).

Not sure about the tango for Tusynbaeva.

Young You is such a greater skater and those programs sound so forgettable – but at least she’s getting those out of the way before she turns senior!

I don’t mind Alina’s choices. I thought Phantom had more potential than Carmen but after seeing part of it from THE ICE I hope Carmen is better.

For pairs, J/C look promising. I'm sure Cizeron is an awesome choreographer.

And in ID the Parsons must really love 'To Build a Home' to choose that music for their FD.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting George Harrison was inspired by the Chinese ICHING as an exercise in randomness inspired by the Chinese I Ching. The song conveys his dismay at the world's unrealised potential for universal love, which he refers to as "the love there that's sleeping".

Thank you so much, OS, for posting this! What an interesting choice for Boyang!

I'd never heard of this movie, and I'm going to go right out and find it. I love the Miyasaki films, so that bodes well. My favorite is Howl's Moving Castle. It's a good book, too, by Diana Wynne Jones. A boy in 4th grade gave her the idea, when she was a featured speaker at his school.

Great Choice... I love kubo and the two strings movie so much! I remember it feature as one of the great end credit song/sequenceof 2017. Clearly inspired by Miyasaki/Ghibli films, but just as poignant and moving.
I highly recommend the movie to anyone.

Frampton version is a macho, rocking guitar and less melancholy version from the film ost. Wonder if they will pick from various version of the song into a program. Beatles. George Harrison/Eric Clapton

WesleyFox

Rinkside
Did I hear on TSL, Sunday that Gracie is working a SP to I Put A Spell On You?

Any confirmation on it? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but as long as she is enjoying it..

I was excited about Gracie skating People.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Sunghoon Park KOR
SP: Your Song; choreo by Drew Meekins
FS: The Phantom of the Opera; choreo by Akiko Suzuki

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi:

SP - The Sheltering Sky by Ryuichi Sakamoto (choreo. David Wilson)
FS - Pale Green Ghosts (by John Grant?) (choreo. Benoit Richaud)

The music is unique and sounds amazing! I have a feeling we're all in for a treat!

Daisuke Takahashi:

The music is unique and sounds amazing! I have a feeling we're all in for a treat!

OK, good. Person number 2 I am excited for.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did I hear on TSL, Sunday that Gracie is working a SP to I Put A Spell On You?

Any confirmation on it? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but as long as she is enjoying it..

I was excited about Gracie skating People.

We first heard about “I put a spell on you” from a skater who has skating friends at Gracie’s rink. He was the first on Twitter that I know of to report Gracie’s move to the IceWorks rink, so his friends have been right in the past. I have no idea if they are right now. Gracie has not announced.

Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, please, it would be epic and I mean it.:)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: Oh I hear there is 1 more Carmen coming from team Russia :laugh: On Vaytsekhovskaya's blog she mentioned it just randomly. No clue who yet but apparently it's from CSKA. Also on the ice was a waltz and a "dance" rap.

Oh and I think I figured out who is skating to what based off Vaytsekhovskaya's clues (Denis Ten, rap, waltz, Carmen). Makes sense since they all share the same practice session so unless Buyanova switched them up then the first 2 are obvious (Voronov-Ten, Kovtun-rap).

So that only leaves Gubanova (Waltz) and Danielian (Carmen)! :devil: There's 2 additional clues that say Artur will be Escamillo (interview + CD sitting on table yes, I blew it up) :devil: but if I'm wrong it was fun :laugh: What can I say, I do like a challenge :handw:

I'm going to be so excited if Carmen is a boy!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
As it was already said, Aliev is not an ice dancer, and neither he is a World or even European champion. So, if the question is, who P/P are more likely to be compared to - him or great ice dancers, three times World champions who also skated their FD to this music when they won one of those Worlds, I think the answer is obvious. And it has nothing to do with which program you personally liked better.

Why are you attacking me for expressing that I, I say again, I, will remember Aliev more than P/C? I did acknowledge that P/C program is famous, although perhaps not legendary yet. Also, why does it matter that Aliev is not ice dancer? That's a genuine question. Do you think ice dancers interpret music better? Also, there is one simple fact why some people might remember Aliev rather than P/C - and that's the simple fact that while P/C skated to it 2 years ago, Aliev used it last season. Also, I don't think Aliev is such an obscure name, that despite the fact he's hasn't won any mayor titles, people won't remember his programs in years to come.

Edit: I reacted way too much, I stand by most of my comment but you weren't probably attacking me, just expressiong your point of view, sorry.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Oh and I think I figured out who is skating to what based off Vaytsekhovskaya's clues (Denis Ten, rap, waltz, Carmen). Makes sense since they all share the same practice session so unless Buyanova switched them up then the first 2 are obvious (Voronov-Ten, Kovtun-rap).

So that only leaves Gubanova (Waltz) and Danielian (Carmen)! :devil: There's 2 additional clues that say Artur will be Escamillo (interview + CD sitting on table yes, I blew it up) :devil: but if I'm wrong it was fun :laugh: What can I say, I do like a challenge :handw:

I'm going to be so excited if Carmen is a boy!

Them detective PointDexter skills :bow::bow::laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi:

Thanks a lot Mrs. P for posting - indeed, the music choices alone pose for me a big potential for Daisuke, if it has to be only one season, make it in style!:)