2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Any mention of what Kostner is skating to this season? Thank you kindly!

There are rumors that her SP will be to 'Back To Black' by A. Winehouse (as she skated a show program to it with layout/choreo resembling SP), but nothing confirmed probably:)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From Lake Placid IDC

Eliana Gropman & Ian Somerville USA
RD: "Nuevo tango" by Cuarteto Nuevo Tango; "La Cascada"
FD: "Le Bien qui fait mal" by Mozart Opera Rock

Yuka Orihara & Lee Royer
FD "I Was Made For Loving You" by Tori Kelly; "Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran

deedee1

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi:

SP - The Sheltering Sky by Ryuichi Sakamoto (choreo. David Wilson)
FS - Pale Green Ghosts (by John Grant?) (choreo. Benoit Richaud)

The music is unique and sounds amazing! I have a feeling we're all in for a treat!

:yes: Thanks. So, Daisuke is really coming back, isn't he?! :love: Ohhhh maaaaiiii gouuu! :yahoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_ZQeWbc20 If that's the music for his LP, I am hearing 'Bells of Moscow' at the beginning. Very much interested whether Benoit-san has included that part or not. Anyway, I am excited! :dance3:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:yes: Thanks. So, Daisuke is really coming back, isn't he?! :love: Ohhhh maaaaiiii gouuu! :yahoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_ZQeWbc20 If that's the music for his LP, I am hearing 'Bells of Moscow' at the beginning. Very much interested whether Benoit-san has included that part or not. Anyway, I am excited! :dance3:

Probably the best news of the off season :yes2:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Why are you attacking me for expressing that I, I say again, I, will remember Aliev more than P/C? I did acknowledge that P/C program is famous, although perhaps not legendary yet. Also, why does it matter that Aliev is not ice dancer? That's a genuine question. Do you think ice dancers interpret music better? Also, there is one simple fact why some people might remember Aliev rather than P/C - and that's the simple fact that while P/C skated to it 2 years ago, Aliev used it last season. Also, I don't think Aliev is such an obscure name, that despite the fact he's hasn't won any mayor titles, people won't remember his programs in years to come.

Edit: I reacted way too much, I stand by most of my comment but you weren't probably attacking me, just expressiong your point of view, sorry.
I definitely was not attacking you. Such was not my intention at all. I was just stating what I think is obvious. While Aliev is not an obscure name, Papadakis/Cizeron are just more titled and better known, more famous among figure skating fans (except those who don't watch ice dancing at all). And, no matter that Aliev skated to 'Build a Home' more recently than P/C, I've seen more mentions of the latter's FD as a program that people see as very special - even lately.

Why does it matter that Aliev is not an ice dancer? It's simple, really - Parsons, whose music choice we were talking about, are ice dancers, and ice dancing programs are quite different (differently constructed because of differences in elements, more emphasis on dancing etc.) than singles programs, so I think it's natural that ice dancers are more likely to be compared to other ice dancers rather than singles skaters.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Horrifying. Rach is turning in his grave. A sure mute throughout the season

Agreed. I guess Rachmaninoff can't exactly point fingers - the theme by Paganini - but he had genius on his side. All the tangos and Carmens sound much better already.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Horrifying. Rach is turning in his grave. A sure mute throughout the season.
I like the SP choice.

Agreed. I guess Rachmaninoff can't exactly point fingers - the theme by Paganini - but he had genius on his side. All the tangos and Carmens sound much better already.
What is so horrifying about modern covers of classical music/modern music strongly inspired by classical music? This is only your personal opinion, your personal prejudices. There are no rules against that. I will even go as far as to say that it is a modern way of honouring those classical composers. So, even if there's a possibility that Rachmaninoff would be "turning in his grave" if he knew about this, it is also possible that he would understand the honouring and see it in the same way as I see it.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
What is so horrifying about modern covers of classical music/modern music strongly inspired by classical music? This is only your personal opinion, your personal prejudices. There are no rules against that. I will even go as far as to say that it is a modern way of honouring those classical composers. So, even if there's a possibility that Rachmaninoff would be "turning in his grave" if he knew about this, it is also possible that he would understand the honouring and see it in the same way as I see it.

I think I remember Julian Lloyd Weber playing his own version of "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" on the cello and he was performing it live at an ice show.

May have been about 20 years ago???

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What is so horrifying about modern covers of classical music/modern music strongly inspired by classical music? This is only your personal opinion, your personal prejudices.

Depends on the cover in question, as it does with any variantion - some are either wonderful in themselves or just joyously fun (I have quite a lot saved, I'm a massive comic music fan).

Some are indifferent - I freely admit that getting used to Notte Stellata took a lot of searching for a compatible Saint-Saen to put over the sound while I got used to it... and it was only love for Yuzu and his skating that got me used to it.

And some are pretty ghastly, just as some classical/jazz/folk variations on an earlier piece are (do NOT get me started on Percy Grainger! though again, I freely admit that could be utterly personal). Got nothing to do with it being modern.

I think I remember Julian Lloyd Weber playing his own version of "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" on the cello and he was performing it live at an ice show.

May have been about 20 years ago???

There are a lot of versions of that theme, I believe... pity Paganini's ghost can't get royalties.

Going the other way, in the 80s an Aussie TV show did some fabulous (on both the good and the bad sense) covers of Stairway to Heaven - everything from mass choir to disco to folk to funk to G&S to country to punk to Beatles to... you get it. I thought of it when Shoma's program was mentioned and have this wild desire to try seeing how it looks to the weirder ones (Shoma could pull them off, I think, he could so do deadpan comedy :))

But this is really getting off topic, humblest apologies folks, I'll shut up now.

labgoat

Wishing on a star
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sure if this is a good idea for them so soon after Papadakis/Cizeron's FD to Build a Home. Hopefully they and their coach and choreograoher have done something totally different with it. Still, comparisons are inevitable in any case.

This team continues to disappoint me musically with the Duchesnays music last year, Home this year. I worry they have nothing original to say which would be a shame for such a strong and powerful team.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
There are a lot of versions of that theme, I believe... pity Paganini's ghost can't get royalties.

But this is really getting off topic, humblest apologies folks, I'll shut up now.

Maybe Alexia Paganini is related and she can collect the royalties.:laugh:

Don't shut up --- I enjoy all the discussion about music.