2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

pearly

Record Breaker
There's almost one music cut dedicated to every single element, some even for the transitions only. In the middle section for example, the Overture from Phantasia is used for Alina's layback only, skips to POTO theme right when she is exiting the spin, this piece used just for the steps preceding the triple flip, and then abruptly changes to Music of the Night as she takes off for the jump. The first and last few seconds are different cuts as well. It's hard for a skater to display flow and continuity when the backdrop to the program is so disjointed. I agree she deserves better and hope this is just a work in progress.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Swan Lake was almost just as choppy in terms of music. Unless judges give her a clear NO, it won't change. And judges don't care. Case in point: Candyman.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I wouldn't hold my breath. Swan Lake was almost just as choppy in terms of music. Unless judges give her a clear NO, it won't change. And judges don't care. Case in point: Candyman.

I think it's risky to leave the music the way it is. The cuts are currently tailored for specific elements. The sound effects are there for whatever reason, whether to create drama, transition between cuts, or to create a distraction at breathing points. A music cut may highlight an element, like the Music of the Night for the flip takeoff. However, a problem arises if she is behind the music, from perhaps a fall on a jump, which can throw this program into disarray. For example, if she is late on the flying camel spin, the shattering glass sound would be heard during the spin, making it even more gratuitous. At the very least get rid of those tacky sound effects. Simple fade in, fade out is fine as a transition.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched Alina's new program a few times and really don’t understand all the criticism. Not my cup of tea for reasons I’m sure no one cares about but its a program that will work very well for her her. Nothing unexpected here for me.

Eteri likes to incorporate those hip swing turns though it would seem :laugh:

century2009

On the Ice
Alina: She does look very mature with the hair and dress, so it is a nice change. Cant say anything about the music. I agree about the music cuts are all over the place, and random. I thought this was a Show program and not for a competition. She deserves better and just made it look generic and out of place, especially with the bad music cuts.

Shoma: I appreciate Shoma's work with classical music, but I am a bit bored. Going into 4 seasons now and a new season, I wish he can try something a bit different. Just something to experiment with. I am at the point where I cant tell his programs apart as they are all "samey". I really just wanted more from him because it is a bit lackluster.

Nathan: Definitely something new that is unlike others. Its a nice change, and I do like the modern tone. Has a lot of potential. Its a solid choice and he can speak to it, and fits him well while trying to be different. I do hope for more costume, but it is Nathan.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Saw bits of The Ice on video. Oh Alina.... I really can't agree about how nice the dress is, it looks like she forgot her costume and had to make do with her great-aunt's daggy underslip instead (I agree, the music is horrible too, she should go and clobber whoever cut it with their own cassette).

I didn't watch Nathan's skating but the clothes are pretty bog-standard "I'm a serious student to be and I can't afford nice things, got this at the nearest Cheep and NotCheerful"... which is... ironic. But Shoma's latest really amused me, he looks like an adorable scruffy blackbird and then a tiny punk flamingo for the Stairway bit (I think the video I saw was a cut) and given the horrible Spirits things, that's a huge improvement :) On the other hand, couldn't he get a decent performer for the Sonata? dull dull dull. I may have to spend much of the new season with the mute button firmly in hand.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I'm watching The Ice right now. My first thoughts were that Marin's new SP is jaw-droppingly great. I'm a sucker for that cover in every circumstance, but I would never have thought of it for Marin. But, I thought she really did amazing with it. The choreography is great, Marin sells the hell out of it, and it's a real showstopper.

I wish Mai Mihara would take a step like that. I like Mai, she's sweet and graceful, but ... all of her light feminine princessy programs are really blending together in my mind. It's Magic is just more of the same, it seems like. I don't really know what I want from her, because even her Libertango program last year didn't really work for me. IDK. Maybe something with a sense of humor about itself?

itoja

Rinkside
Zagitova's SP full video (The Ice) https://youtu.be/GsZDzNiAoH0

Oh Daniil, :palmf: and I had such good opinion about you... What were you thinking with that cuts...

Just... take that randomly inserted layback spin with the "music box" music and put it at the beginning of the program. Starting with "ballerina in the box" could be a nice reference to Alina's last season programs (and her opinion as the ballerina), then she can get "scared" as it starts now, and maybe the program will get some sense...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Watched The Ice performances and am left a bit unimpressed and somewhat baffled with some programs. Most of the ladies are doing instantly forgettable and/or boring pieces of music and my attention starts to wander in less than a minute. It's Magic was perhaps the worst one - Mai is ok to watch, but she simply does not have the performance skills or the charisma to carry such an unhappening piece even for 2,5 minutes. Satoko manages to save sth in Song for the Little Sparrow with her magical performance powers, but that stuff leaves a lot to be desired after last year's fabulous program. POTO and Satie's Gymnopedie No 1 with lyrics leave me absolutely cold - in latter case Kaori has the same problem as Mai, she is not good enough to carry that piece of music. Zagitova will be only interesting for seeing whether she has been able to maintain her jumps with that new height and body. Eunsoo Lim with that fairly non-descript movie music looked ok so far in Asian Open.

The biggest disappointment to my mind is Marin Honda. I love Marin and I love Seven Nation Army (though the original), but together they were not love at first sight. The song used with lyrics is a bit problematic because basically it is about media and fame and the gossip and stories about the White siblings at the beginning of their career and how they dealt with it. So not a very easy topic to put into a SP. The bits they have included have a bit of the defiance of the whole lyric in it, but the choreography simply ignores the lyrics and goes on a different tangential with a sort of imitation of sleazy s**y kitten. They could have exploited the female empowerment and/or defiant feel of the music, but no... This is one of the reasonn why I am happy that my preferred music gets used in skating only very rarely.

Men were a bit of a letdown also so far. Shoma does only Shoma whatever the music is, his mannerisms are always there, no matter what style or music he uses. I have already lost hope. Boyang is seemingly trying to evoke Hanyu's Parisienne Walkways in many ways and I did not like the original either - those hard rock cliche moves when the music is bluesy and melancholy??? Please, no! Nathan's SP is the most promising piece so far - the choice of music pleases me and the choreo matches its quirkiness well. Those bent wrists are a detail they coud get rid of, though. But his FS is plain weird so far, difficult to say where it will go eventually. I hope it will not be all 7 jumps in a row like in The Ice version.

Living in hope that it will all be miraculously better when the competition season begins in earnest.

E

ErgoProxy

Rinkside
I think I like the IDEA of Boyang doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" more than the actual program for now but I'll be curious to see how he'll grow into the program. Right now he seems like he's skating a jazzy piece and that doesn't fit in with the mood of the song, in my opinion.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From Asian Open,

Cheng Peng & Yang Jin CHN
SP: Ophelia by The Lumineers
FS: La vie en rose

and Ryom & Kim are using last year's music for both programs

Tae Ok Ryom & Ju Sik Kim PRK
SP: "A Day in the Life" by Paul McCartney, John Lennon, performed by Jeff Beck (reprise of 2016-17 SP); choreo by Julie Marcotte (last year's)
FS: "Je ne suis qu'une chanson" by Diane Justler, performed by Ginette Reno; choreo by Julie Marcotte (last year's)

pearly

Record Breaker
I think it's risky to leave the music the way it is. The cuts are currently tailored for specific elements. The sound effects are there for whatever reason, whether to create drama, transition between cuts, or to create a distraction at breathing points. A music cut may highlight an element, like the Music of the Night for the flip takeoff. However, a problem arises if she is behind the music, from perhaps a fall on a jump, which can throw this program into disarray. For example, if she is late on the flying camel spin, the shattering glass sound would be heard during the spin, making it even more gratuitous. At the very least get rid of those tacky sound effects. Simple fade in, fade out is fine as a transition.

I hear you, but I do not see it happening. DQ was equally bad if she misses music (see Worlds FS), but I'm ready to bet they won't change it. These cuts, good god...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Shiyue Wang & Xinyu Liu CHN
RD: Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack
FD: "Meant" by Elizaveta

century2009

On the Ice
Boyang SP: I really like the idea of him doing this music as it is very different and might be a nice avenue for him. After seeing it, it doesnt really look good. I like the costume, but it feel like he is just skating and not really adding to the music. It might get better later as he grows into it, but his weak skating skills does show more in this choice.

Marin: i like the music and it is very fresh for her, but it does look like this was meant for Ashley and she was the backup to use it. It doesnt feel like it is for her.

Shoma SP: If we must keep it classical, this is a better choice, but I cant tell any difference in movement from his other classical program. Again, I cant tell his programs apart anymore. He is capable of more than this, and just disappointed. I do like the costume and works well for him.

Nathan SP: Very unique and different. It seems like a very fun program and will give him respect for something new from warhorses. I like the various movements in the beginning and throughout, and he seems like he is enjoying this program a lot. This is a nice change for him, and very modern even thought the music feels traditional. He can grow into this, but is it asking too much from Nathan to have a more jazz costume. It is so "common" and want a fun costume for a fun program.

composer

On the Ice
As far as Alina's costumes goes there's already been discussion on her fan fest that it is Diana Davis' old costume, so she will probably have a different one for competition.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Shiyue Wang & Xinyu Liu CHN
RD: Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack
FD: "Meant" by Elizaveta

Thanks Doris! Here are the corresponding videos from Asian Open:

RD (fancam): https://twitter.com/fang_minji/status/1025641095571550209
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ94blfckpM

I wasn't too sure before whether Montreal was the right school for them but now I am loving both of their programs. Marie-France and Patrice have given them two excellent vehicles to further push their emotional depth, projection, and range. Great way to build momentum to start the new quad to Beijing with a win :clap:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Here is Eunsoo Lim’s SP from Asian Open.
https://youtu.be/8DvCBK9ldVw
I have to say, this program looks stunning. I’m really excited to see it keep building throughout the season and it may very well become one of my favourites. 31 PCS for a senior debut is pretty great!

Ahhh, I love this one! It really plays to both her elegance and refinement and her speed (I noticed here that she covers ice faster than most and that pairs well with the sweeping quality of this music). Can’t wait to see how she grows into this as the season progresses.