2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Free Dance

LadyB

Record Breaker
Not so experimental for Piper and Paul this time. Somewhat lyrical. Nice, but not interesting.

I agree with the experimental bit, but I’ve never seen them as lyrical! I usually love their quirkiness, but I sure fell for that one for a change. It got me quite emotional. And Paul... :luv17:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Piper/Gilles's free dance in one word: Febreze.

AND I LIKE THAT! :laugh:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I'm still sniffling over Piper and Paul's performance. That was beautiful. First tears shed over a program this season. C'mon, kids, who's going to make me cry next? I can't wait to find out.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Isn't this the first comp. since Piper's moms passing? I was just captivated by their skate, as they owned the ice and are finally getting the scores they deserve.

Well done Piper & Paul!

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Piper and Paul, what a lovely program! Completely different from what they usually present. I expected something in line with their previous programs, and here surprise: we have a very soft and lyrical program. I hope they will finally move in the rankings and obtain medal at major ISU championships.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Did I miss something with C/P's twizzles? She got a level 4 and he got a level 2 and judge 4 gave them a GOE of -1? I'm no expert so I probably didn't spot a glaring error but a minus GOE is surprising (to me at least)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Grr I had an emergency and had to miss this. Everything's fine and thank goodness for posted videos.

Piper and Paul have always tended to peak early, then level off for the midseason, before pulling back up for the very latter part of the season. If they really are looking good this early, that's not necessarily a good thing.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Piper and Paul have always tended to peak early, then level off for the midseason, before pulling back up for the very latter part of the season. If they really are looking good this early, that's not necessarily a good thing.

They did say in this interview that they weren't training to peak early - I think they basically said that the programs wouldn't be totally finished until later in the season when they want to peak - heres hoping this is their season!!

Winnie

Rinkside
Did I miss something with C/P's twizzles? She got a level 4 and he got a level 2 and judge 4 gave them a GOE of -1? I'm no expert so I probably didn't spot a glaring error but a minus GOE is surprising (to me at least)

Looked like he bobbled the third twizzle to me when I watched in real time, but I haven't learned all the rule changes to know how it should affect the score/GOE yet.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Not so experimental for Piper and Paul this time. Somewhat lyrical. Nice, but not that interesting. 116 score for FD. 1st total.

Yeah, I think this is them saying "if you can't beat them, join them" :D

Piper and Paul's FD was really lovely and imo so much better than H/D's

I feel both of their programs are better than H/D's programs this year. And yet I am almost sure the judges would never let them come ahead of H/D.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Unfortunately the youtube video link for G/P's Van Gogh program is a mess. Grrrr. Hopefully I'll be able to find one that doesn't have a plethora of technical issues.

Her dress is gorgeous though. Just the right amount of "Starry Night" without being in any way kitsch.

Lester

Final Flight
Unfortunately the youtube video link for G/P's Van Gogh program is a mess. Grrrr. Hopefully I'll be able to find one that doesn't have a plethora of technical issues.

Her dress is gorgeous though. Just the right amount of "Starry Night" without being in any way kitsch.

Here

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Young Ponomarenko has skills in him, he is a great partner, their FD for me is better than RD, there is less unecessary dramatism here and less 'face play', Christina looks more stiff and forced at places than Anthony, she is good performer though and I really like her hands' finishing in poses.

Parsons are really pushing this program in a good direction, looking from one performance to another they are steadily working out any kinks in this FD making it smoother and more sound in expression. I do think that it lacks a bit of originality and 'wow' factor as a whole, but this is a very flattering aesthetic for them as fine technicians with sublime movement quality, subtle finishing of it. I can look at Michael skating crossovers all day, between him, Jean-Luc and Paul Poirier I cannot decide who I love more, all three just write poetry by how they skate for me:)

And Piper and Paul... For me, this direction and how the program actually looks and feels are quite unexpected, this tranquill lyricism, a sense of nostalgy and melancholy, the program for me is their most 'personal' one, definitely closer to them than their usual creations on ice. And I love it - this sense of intimacy, high emotion being theirs, not fully belonging to characters of the dance; they managed to make this piece personal and made a more of 'open' story out of it. There is still their signature quirk, but not as exploited as more raw, instinctive side of their skating and performance this time I feel, there is more place for creating a new emotion than just play it out in line of the program - and for me it shows in these slower moments, simple gestures, softness. The musicality of the choreography is just incredible, every high and low of the music is illustrated by movement, an element which itself perfectly reflects on rhythm/tempo change (e.g. twizzles), the opening and ending sequences are eye-catchers, delicate yet powerful and their 'sliding movement' is my favourite of all teams: it fits the music, the mood, the movement and looks natural there. Both step sequences could use more polish and detail though in my opinion, making them more impactful in the whole FD context.
I love how non-literally this concept was executed into program, how moment the song creates is captured by the dance without deliberate fuss around it with something clear, honest and straightforward in it. I felt touched by their performance, not overwhelmed, impressed, amazed - just touched by the combination of song, movement, expression, emotions carried by this soulful performance.

Lester

Final Flight
And Piper and Paul... For me, this direction and how the program actually looks and feels are quite unexpected, this tranquill lyricism, a sense of nostalgy and melancholy, the program for me is their most 'personal' one, definitely closer to them than their usual creations on ice. And I love it - this sense of intimacy, high emotion being theirs, not fully belonging to characters of the dance; they managed to make this piece personal and made a more of 'open' story out of it. There is still their signature quirk, but not as exploited as more raw, instinctive side of their skating and performance this time I feel, there is more place for creating a new emotion than just play it out in line of the program - and for me it shows in these slower moments, simple gestures, softness. The musicality of the choreography is just incredible, every high and low of the music is illustrated by movement, an element which itself perfectly reflects on rhythm/tempo change (e.g. twizzles), the opening and ending sequences are eye-catchers, delicate yet powerful and their 'sliding movement' is my favourite of all teams: it fits the music, the mood, the movement and looks natural there. Both step sequences could use more polish and detail though in my opinion, making them more impactful in the whole FD context.
I love how non-literally this concept was executed into program, how moment the song creates is captured by the dance without deliberate fuss around it with something clear, honest and straightforward in it. I felt touched by their performance, not overwhelmed, impressed, amazed - just touched by the combination of song, movement, expression, emotions carried by this soulful performance.

Yes, yes, and to think how I thought it would be lame when they announced the music.

Always trust Piper and Paul :D

Lester

Final Flight
The new protocols are so confusing to me. What is OFStL & OFStM? Some step sequences?

Edit: I got it, its a sequence done on one foot.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yes, yes, and to think how I thought it would be lame when they announced the music.

Always trust Piper and Paul :D

I do think that a lot of people may thought that they will go all out, more dramatic or full-on quirk, accommodating Van Gogh theme harder - yet they continue on surprising us with another change in stylistical direction, disovering another side of themselves as performers, interpretators, creators, artists... What got me into their partnership is this very adaptation to different aesthetic feature, but kind of putting a personal spin on everything, originality and innovation in terms of movement and presentation.

This is another step on this journey, I think that this program captures effortlessly maturity, thoughtfulness with a bit of youth, airy feel in it, making that reflection, an impression of emotions they carried into the program mixed with how they change along with the music, lyrics, movement. It is a bit of a moving painting.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Bless you!

Well, G/P certainly did play it straight. And with this music, you really sort of have to, no? I would be very surprised if they DIDN'T tinker with the choreography; some of it is pretty sketchy at the moment. But the ending, with the choreo slide into the stationary lift with a fabulously sculptural position is first rate. So is the first curve lift. And the music mix is first rate. The very extended twizzle sequence may be a bit too extended at the moment.

I think they can take more risks with the program as a whole. That ending is a very good example of that. It's going to be interesting to see if they push it in that direction. I hope they do.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Yeah, I think this is them saying "if you can't beat them, join them" :D

I feel both of their programs are better than H/D's programs this year. And yet I am almost sure the judges would never let them come ahead of H/D.
Saying this reminds me of how they got underscored during 2016 Worlds and the 2016-2017 season. Okay G/P made some twizzle mistakes, but H/D are make twizzle mistakes all the time and they aren't underscored like G/P are.