2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish there were more bronze medals to hand out. So many wonderful skaters who will go without:(

ChanClan

On the Ice
hmm... I don't think Scott over-emoted at all. It literally just looks like he's having the time of his life to me. Maybe that's over-emoting but that's the kind of over-emoting I enjoy.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Seriously. You really think some people aren't competitive enough to do it? And you're presupposing the problem would be in the breast area — it needn't be, especially since we're talking about men, singles, pairs, and ladies disciplines. And if we took the original suggestion, skaters could stop immediately after the issue, thus there would be no danger of exposing oneself.

You seem to think it's ridiculous that a skater would ever decide a do-over was worth a costume issue. But I think it's highly likely if, say, a skater went out for the SP in ladies or mens and missed their combo — would they take a chance to wipe the slate clean and repeat? Hell yes.

As someone who used to compete in another field where costumes were more than a little important, I would say that yes, your suggestion is ridiculous. If something is going so badly that a do over is necessary, chances are it won’t go any better after an interruption for a costume malfunction.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I don't know if this has been said yet, but great job on every skater in the short dance for not having a single fall or complete meltdown in the twizzles.

MIM

Medalist
Btw. am I the only who was quite distracted at times by over the top performing of Scott Moir? I know that you can sell and prove furthermore how secure you are f you can do ut simultaneously doing difficult technique but for me it was quite jarring.

Spanish and my dear Poles had very satisfying skates btw.

Sara & Kirill really caught my attention and they were super solid.

About scott’s evolved (?) performance, haha i totally see your point.

They have spoken over and over Tessa is more artistic vs. Scott is Technical in the past interviews. I almost got an impression that Tessa is in this “art”bubble, while Scott and the tech coach works on keeping and raising the Levels. It kinda was summarized in their gala at the Vancouver olympics which described Scott as a street boy and Tessa as a delicate ballerina.

After their return, they said they try to develop the artistic/performance side further by moving to team Montreal. Watching their MR YouTube clip, the conversation between the off-ice dance coach and Scott was interesting. He is part of the artistic conversation now. The coach breaks down the story for Scott and what kind of emotion he has in mind to choreograph that segment. Scott gets him and even during the off-ice rehearsal he was totally into the character and emoted throughout. It was a nice breakthrough I think for them. Tessa doesn’t have to converse to the blank wall anymore ( I know I exaggerate.) I think this quality, the conversing and sharing, caressing (to some degree;) ) is the charm and strength of the Team Montreal. And P/C is the living example of theirs. I adore that VM are courageous to come back for the 3rd olympic medal and that they are smart to know what they need and where to find it.

Yes, Scott could tone down and emote in a sophisticated or elevated manner like the French. But, it will take another season or Olympics to see that happen. Hats off to team Montreal’s wiseness for picking and packaging the raw and wild programs for Tessa and SCOTT.

Andrea82

Medalist
3 judges called "costume and prop violation" to Min/Gamelin. What was wrong with their dress?
No-one (different panel) called it during the Team Event when her costume was dropping but are they calling it now?

1 judged called "costume and prop violation" to Bobrava/Soloviev, 2 judges to Weaver/Poje, 1 to Guignard/Fabbri, 1 to Wang/Liu.

Violation of Choreo was called by 4 judges to Chock/Bates, 1 to Gilles/Poirier, 1 to Min/Gamelin, 1 to Lauriault/Legac, 1 to Msyliveckova/Csolley, 1 to Agafonova/Ucar, 1 to to Nazarova/Nikitin, 2 to Tankova/Zilberberg

Looking at the protocols, I almost wondered if one judge was clicking something by mistake!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
3 judges called "costume and prop violation" to Min/Gamelin. What was wrong with their dress?
No-one (different panel) called it during the Team Event when her costume was dropping but are they calling it now?

1 judged called "costume and prop violation" to Bobrava/Soloviev, 2 judges to Weaver/Poje, 1 to Guignard/Fabbri, 1 to Wang/Liu.

Violation of Choreo was called by 4 judges to Chock/Bates, 1 to Gilles/Poirier, 1 to Min/Gamelin, 1 to Lauriault/Legac, 1 to Msyliveckova/Csolley, 1 to Agafonova/Ucar, 1 to to Nazarova/Nikitin, 2 to Tankova/Zilberberg

Looking at the protocols, I almost wondered if one judge was clicking something by mistake!

If a piece of costume falls on the ice, it is a 1.0 costume violation. I just learned this in another thread.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There were two straps (thankfully because otherwise it would have completely dropped down to her waist the second it untied) holding it around her arms/shoulders; That's how it stayed on. And they had no time nor real opportunity to try to fix it during their program. It was Guillaume who tied it back after they were finished.

Plus I believe there was a strap across her back as well.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I read somewhere that Jayne Torville also pointed this one out on BBC live broadcast.

On BBC iplayer replay (usually just recording of the live broadcast), there's no Jayne Torville. I don't recall she comment on British Eurosport either last night...

BBC lady did mention P's Janet Jackson moment. They apologised to the viewers regarding to the 'expose', and said they are not in charge of the cam shots but by the broadcasters.

Robin is firm P/C should be in 2nd for him before they announced the marks. Said not even close ... make what you will. They noted there's no deduction for costume malfunction.

Personally, for me it's no big deal, it is just a very unfortunate incident, we are all adults here, but when things like everything SHOULD matter in the pressentation of sport and there are rules for decency and etiquette in place, the French should have received a deduction at the very least. I remember Daisuke received deductions for a feather fell on the ice during his ending pose which is positively mild compared to this. Rules are rules.

lavender

Record Breaker
Btw. am I the only who was quite distracted at times by over the top performing of Scott Moir? I know that you can sell and prove furthermore how secure you are f you can do ut simultaneously doing difficult technique but for me it was quite jarring.

Spanish and my dear Poles had very satisfying skates btw.

Sara & Kirill really caught my attention and they were super solid.

This is how feel...I don't get what's happening. Scott use to come off so smooth to me and I did enjoy watching both. Now I cringe watching his leg movements in the short especially. His facial expression isn't natural and I hate him in a onesie. I told my mom how I'm having trouble watching them (V/M) as a couple on ice.

I remember Daisuke received deductions for a feather fell on the ice during his ending pose which is positively mild compared to this. Rules are rules.

A feather falling off is a safety issue, The next skater might trip over it.

By the way, there is no comparison between Papadakis' unfortunate accident and Janet Jackson halftime entertainment show. Jackson's so-called wardrobe malfunction was choreographed like that, and she wore pasties.

peepsquick

Final Flight
On BBC iplayer replay (usually just recording of the live broadcast), there's no Jayne Torville. I don't recall she comment on British Eurosport either last night...

BBC lady did mention P's Janet Jackson moment. They apologised to the viewers regarding to the 'expose', and said they are not in charge of the cam shots but by the broadcasters.

Robin is firm P/C should be in 2nd for him before they announced the marks. Said not even close ... make what you will. They noted there's no deduction for costume malfunction.

Personally, for me it's no big deal, it is just a very unfortunate incident, we are all adults here, but when things like everything SHOULD matter in the pressentation of sport and there are rules for decency and etiquette in place, the Frehnch should have received a deduction at the very least. I remember Daisuke received deductions for a feather fell on the ice during his ending pose which is positively mild compared to this. Rules are rules.

Exactly! Nothing fell on the ice, so NO deduction!

LandShark

Rinkside
Great entertainment. Shibs were out of the park , how Hubbell/Donohue are above them , don't get it. Cappellini/Lanotte were better than I expected , but not sure if their free dance can keep them up. Enjoyed Bobrova/Soloviev , but she needs to stand up properly and stretch out when she's skating.

Many congratulations to Coomes/Buckland on a top 10 finish in the SD , let's hope you have a great free guys.

P/C to go past V/M in the free if all goes well? Sorry , not convinced by Moir as a Latin dancer.

LandShark

Rinkside
Also, while I remember, great skating posture from Mr Sporydiev from Poland in the Sd. Bolt upright and hips right below him all the way through. Impressive.

xzhang12

Rinkside
I think we should leave the technical aspects to the experts. As an avid but unprofessional viewer, I find V/M very confident in movement (for example, their step sequence is super fast, aggressive and precise), but they do raise a lot of ice and I'm not sure what that means in terms of skating technique and edge quality. The French are called butter smooth for several reasons, and one of them is how light of a touch they have on the ice.
Second, let's count the errors: they had an out of sync entry on the second twizzle set, but they exited them in sync, so that's not a huge deal. They were scarily close during the execution, but that's typically a plus in terms of GOE. Also, no question in terms of whether they were L4 or not. The other one was a balance problem during the lift but Gaby masked it super well with her arm movement, so I can see why the majority of judges didn't see it.

In regards to the PCS, I'm not sure what people wanted to see. You can't ding them on SS, TR or CO since they didn't change their program. They weren't off timing wise either, so that only leaves Performance and part of the Interpretation mark, where they were lower than V/M, but according to some people not enough, so what exactly should we see, low 9s, high 8s? When does that ever happen in skating for a top couple or individual skater?

Might not be better (though the ability to generate speed through edge-work is typically a good plus for SS), but it sure is impressive to view. And if you think that won't impact the PCS marks... I'm not sure what to say.

agree

Axel Rose

On the Ice
For me it's the 3+ GOE that's the issue. P/C have a wonderful, peaceful glide, but if they are off sync during twizzles, why are they getting bonus marks? I think of all the top but lower ranked teams who were in sync, but did not get such extra bonus points. And that's not okay. If P/C had done perfect twizzles, how much room for extra bonus marks would have been left?

xzhang12

Rinkside
People are up in arms while conveniently forgetting that this wasn't V/M's best sd of the season. A little scratchy, a little slow, skating further apart and not the nicest set of twizzles.

Yes. PC’s score should be one to two point lower but VM’s score should be one point lower as well. Twizzle is off and choppy.