2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance | Page 85 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Haikush

On the Ice
I don't care in the slightest about the costume malfunction (what, are people 12? The pearl-clutching is a bit much), except that it clearly distracted P/C and marred their presentation of the program. No, it doesn't warrant a costume deduction, nothing fell on the ice and they kept going. But it did detract from the overall program in that it made them tentative.

However, can you read the score sheet properly? Judges gave P/C +3s for those obviously, visibly to the naked eye without slow-mo flawed twizzles and the lift where once again, there was a visible struggle. In no universe is that OK. If that ends up being the difference for the gold medal, that's a big problem and a huge knock to the sport's credibility. I for one would like to continue seeing it be part of the Olympics, not discredited by shoddy manipulation.

Just dismissing this as "oh, fanwars" yawn is a disservice to the sport.

Perfectly said. Not only did the twizzles get postitive GOE with an obvious mistake even the layman can see they actually won the PCS with such a distracted, not engaged performace. Judges kept them close so they could win the FD and gold...so so obvious

Haikush

On the Ice
People are up in arms while conveniently forgetting that this wasn't V/M's best sd of the season. A little scratchy, a little slow, skating further apart and not the nicest set of twizzles.

considering how the French were gifted, yes gifted with that ridiculous score for that hot mess of a program I have no issues with VM score, should be at least 3 pts higher

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Well actually, Marie-France was with PC and Romain before their SD. She wasn't in the kiss and cry with VM, Patrice was so that's why he wasn't with PC before their SD. Patrice hasn't been in the kiss and cry with PC all season so really no surprise there. And then Marie-France was probably with HD right before their SD which was directly after PC.

Actually, I read somewhere that in the Olympics you cannot have more than 2 people in the Kiss&Cry with you, and I think it might be the same with the Big competitions ? Because now that I think about it, I've never seen more than 2 people in the K&C. And Marie France is clever not to go with her #1 and #2 :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
About P/C twizzles, their mistake put them closer together on the twizzles, and skating as close as possible is always seen as plus, so...

A living proof : it's about the programs, teams just capitalize on what they do best. That's why V/M do drama/theatrical/man and woman relationship, H/D do sultry blues, P/C do contemporary, C/L do Italian Romantic comedy (but their FD is different this year though).

Regarding C/L, the first half of Life is Beautiful, the film, is an Italian romantic comedy. :biggrin:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
considering how the French were gifted, yes gifted with that ridiculous score for that hot mess of a program I have no issues with V/M score, should be at least 3 pts higher

I don't remember watching a hot mess of a program. Care to elaborate? How would you distribute the 5 pts difference?

Second part deleted

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
I don't remember watching a hot mess of a program. Care to elaborate? How would you distribute the 4,74 pts difference?

Also why are V/M fans so aggressive? I thought Canadians were supposed to be laid back and nice. The only thing that is worse are the yuna bots.

You’re not familiar with B/K fans from the 90s/00s are you?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Ah, but here's the other side of the coin. If there is no harsh penalty, it could (and I say would) become a tactic, if you didn't start your program well, to have something on your costume that you can "oops", head on over to the referee and presto! start again, wiping the slate clean. We'd see a rash of costume malfunctions.

Like in many sports, the athletes are responsible for the condition of their equipment, in skating, that includes the costume. It's entirely fair.

Oh. Like maybe a dancer would have her costume built with the equivalent of a nursing bra so that she could conveniently open it up if she messed up her twizzles, despite the fact that the competition was being broadcast worldwide and that she would likely receive rude comments on Twitter? Seriously?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I don't remember watching a hot mess of a program. Care to elaborate? How would you distribute the 5 pts difference?

Also why are V/M fans so aggressive? I thought Canadians were supposed to be laid back and nice. The only thing that is worse are the yuna bots.

Okay I'm with you on that. I feel like we watched 2 different things. 2-point difference considering skating quality is okay. But looking at things, apparently P/C stripped and danced riverdance off the beat of Shape of You. It was strong. A bit hesitant/tight in the end but still very strong especially skating wise.

Also, Canadians are supposed to be the nicest people on earth (and are, considering the ones I met) but when it comes to V/M, it's nuclear war.

I wish P/C were Canadians :dev2: (At least besides the fans, they'll get exposure).

MIM

Medalist
I had to watch on my phone, so couldn’t join the forum until today. It was interesting short dance event... I tried to understand the scoring/judging better simultaneously as the dance goes on. My iPhone screen gets divided by score info below, so I didn’t catch the details of the dances. (I was busy and sleepy at the same time) so please mind my observation is superficial and not accurate.

1. Shibs were great, but their program does not give me anything new and fresh anymore. It has been staying there where it started in the beginning of the season.

2. Madison’s dress is nice and stylish to my eyes. She isn’t afraid of the color and pattern and I always find that her fashion sense is very out there and she knows what looks good on her. But their dance comes in second in my priority after figuring out her costume, while watching their dance.

3. Virtue and Moir’s Olympic anxiety, nerves were shown in the beginning but nicely transformed into excitement and sharp movements in their performance. I like the team who grasp the (seemingly) negative energy into a positive one.
I still like their Canadian National Sd the best, but this one is the close second. I like their dance every time I see. And this golden/black sheer leopard dress is the best rendition amongst her other dresses to this dance.

4. First of all, I didn’t notice her dress malfunction until the very end due to the small screen. But I could feel their nervous energy didn’t totally transform into the positive excitement in their dance partly due to the lose top. Gabi looked like a wooden stick sometimes compared to Tessa. I assumed she was nervous but now I feel that she had to tense her body to keep the top where it had to be. She and he did the best they could have done under the circumstances. I respect her for that. And when they went auto pilot- during the pattern dance, it was marvelous.

5. Maddie and Zack!! I like that Zack ditched the purple top! Decorative black V shirt looks good on him;) their dance builds so nicely and their projection is top with their Montreal team mates. I honestly like their dance the best at his point. They bring out their best performance every time I watch them.

6. Russians did get Lv 4s in real-time. I couldn’t believe because it only happened with V/M but I didn’t feel the same sharpness with this team. After they were finished, I saw the corrections made and the tech number dropped.

7. Italians were cute and sharp! Their bodies and limbs were where they should be, but compared to the top teams, the excitement or volume of dance (?) lacked.

+ I like how well fit Tiffany’s dress is. She has a terrific figure, compared to other female dancers having an athletic or boyish chest. And the dress (top part) is impeccably hugging her torso. I find her look charming!!

+ Sara from Spain is my everything! They skated to Santana. Her dress is something I wanted to wear. Her teaming up with Kiril is promising! I hope this team keeps developing. She is the starlet of the event,IMO!

+ after Tessa and Scott retire, can my dear WP move up to Montreal? They have to give at least one sepot to the Canadian!! Imagine what they can do to this talented but plain (at this moment) team?

+ I cracked to read the posts especially during the resurfacing+ Warm-up. I wasn’t the only one who had to binge watching the figure skating event! And one poster was defriebded (jk) for her missing bronze medal comment on VM. LOL.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Btw. am I the only who was quite distracted at times by over the top performing of Scott Moir? I know that you can sell and prove furthermore how secure you are so you can do it simultaneously doing difficult technique but for me it was quite jarring.

Spanish and my dear Poles had very satisfying skates btw.

Sara & Kirill really caught my attention and they were super solid.

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
Btw. am I the only who was quite distracted at times by over the top performing of Scott Moir?

Spanish and my dear Poles had very satisfying skates btw.

Definitely not and sometimes I do wonder if it’s a tactic because he definitely is a stronger skater than Tessa

rain

Record Breaker
Oh. Like maybe a dancer would have her costume built with the equivalent of a nursing bra so that she could conveniently open it up if she messed up her twizzles, despite the fact that the competition was being broadcast worldwide and that she would likely receive rude comments on Twitter? Seriously?

Seriously. You really think some people aren't competitive enough to do it? And you're presupposing the problem would be in the breast area — it needn't be, especially since we're talking about men, singles, pairs, and ladies disciplines. And if we took the original suggestion, skaters could stop immediately after the issue, thus there would be no danger of exposing oneself.

You seem to think it's ridiculous that a skater would ever decide a do-over was worth a costume issue. But I think it's highly likely if, say, a skater went out for the SP in ladies or mens and missed their combo — would they take a chance to wipe the slate clean and repeat? Hell yes.

rain

Record Breaker
Honestly, I’ve prepared myself for v/m to get silver as soon as they were announced as the flag bearers. Every time a Canadian figure skater Carries it they get silver or worse.

Ah, but not Rosie MacLennan, Summer Games flag bearer who went on to repeat as Olympic champ in trampoline! :)