2018 Olympic Free Dance Play by Play

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
2018 Winter Olympics - Figure Skating
ICE DANCE
FREE DANCE​

Lauriault / Le Gac

Starting off with an interesting choreographic spin. Nice cartwheeling entry into a rotational + stationary lift. Very unexpected choreography so far. Not very fast rotation in the twizzles but safe and secure (Level 3), very nice exist out of the 1st set just showing that edge. Elegant entry into the combo spin in two directions. Some good curves in the circule step sequence (Level 3). Good flipping in and out in the curve lift. Fairly good edges through the diagonal step but a bit flat in some parts (Level 2) and a good choreo lift to end.

I think that the Queen medley doesn't particularly mix with this team. The costuming is far less rock and more contemporary or romantic in look to me. There were a few moments of two-foot skating, and they could have more assertively emphasized that beat in the second half more to me since Everyone Bites The Dust is so iconic. I think they did have more energy in the second half and that their choreography is interesting, particularly in the first minute or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Mysliveckova / Csolley

Interesting rotational lift, somewhat stationery as well. Circular step to Mein Herr could be jazzier and meet the character more (Level 2). First set of twizzles were out of sync and they got very close together (Level 4). Good lift though to emphasize the end of the musical passage. Curve lift was a bit rough with the changes of position. Alright combo spin which could have better centering. Diagonal step was bit flat-footed and not that difficult (Level 2). Alright choreo rotational lift to end.

I actually had the time to watch Cabaret last month and, well, they weren't big enough to match that Fosse jazz, though not many people can. It's sort of an intermission performance. They're going to get dinged a bit on the step sequences since their edges were adequate and hold changes were a bit rough in places.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Lorenz / Polizoakis

Very good sync, light set of twizzles (Level 4). Circular step very traditional in nature with some open spots not in hold (Level 2). Smooth choreographic spin element and good flow through the rotational lift. Good balance point on his knees through the straight line lift. Nice positions through the combo spin (only Level 2). Diagonal step had fairly good edgework and nice balance of steps (Level 3). Nice curve lift with her away from his body, and a soft choreo lift to end the program.

A classically romantic performance to Pride and Prejudice. They had good flow and glide with a good connection between them. I think they could have more intricate holds and more speed across the ice, but a serene, uncluttered interpretation of the music.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Min / Gamelin

Low spining stationary lift with a great position from Min. Fairly simple circular step with holds that could be tighter (Level 3). Good speed through the combo spin especially the second part. Nice cartwheeling entry and through-the-legs exist in the straight line lift. Slight hiccups from Gamelin on the twizzles on the second and third set (Level 2). Diagonal step sequence was alright, a bit simple but well done with good edges (Level 3). Good rotational lift with simpler positions (only Level 3). Soft, nicely held choreo lift and spin to end the program.

Some hitches in the twizzles, but a competent performance to Arirang which both North and South Koreans will appreciate. I think they'll be happy just performing this free dance in front of Korea and celebrating the country with a traditional song. They have some simple connections and positions, with some two-foot skating here and there. I think they can improve over the next four years with more speed and more depth in their edges.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Agafonova / Ucar

Nice choreographic spin to highlight the Egyptian theme. Almost unnoticeable entry into the rotational lift. Fairly good edges through the circular step but could be faster (Level 3). Alright speed through the combo spin, a bit heavy on the exit (Level 4). Nice flip over, behind the back lift. Another nice rotational lift. Interesting layout of the twizzles going back and forth, a little problem on the balance in the first set (Level 4). Also good edging in the diagonal step (Level 3). Very cool choreographic moment at the end.

A neat concept of the Egyptian music flowing into Woodkid (giving me shades of Papadakis & Cizeron there). I'm not sure if the music really makes sense as a story. They could use more speed and have fewer two-foot skating/crossovers. I found their choreography and interpretation interesting but not very clear and not with that much impact.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Guignard / Fabbri

Nice catch layback spin in the combo (Level 4). Long curves through the circular step with nice edging that fills the rink (Level 3). Very fast through the twizzle sequence (Level 4). Good wrap-around spread straight line lift. Great speed through the rotational lift. Good speed as well through the midline step sequence. Soft curve line lift with an interesting balance point. Smooth pair of choreographic elements to end the program.

Very smooth and good speed through the program. They were quite connected technically speaking and they very good flow between elements to fit the Muse music. Exogenesis is a good piece for their style. I think they could project more to the audience and have a few more wow moments, but the program had a spellbinding quality and they should be very pleased with that performance. Clearly into first place so far.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kaliszek / Spodyriev

Nice flapper-like position for Kaliscek in the stationary lift. Clean traditional holds through the foxtrot circular step (Level 3). Good speed through the rotational lift with her on his shoulder. Good set of twizzles on the same edge (Level 4). Combo spin is a bit tight but nice that it goes in both directions with shades of Sui/Han (Level 4). Straight line lift could be bolder. Fairly simple choreographic lift but good rotation. A little mistime in the second step with some flat edges here and there (Level 2).

I actually thought the faster Great Gatsby parts in the first half was quite good but the second half has so many changes of music that it's difficult to keep pace and understand what they're trying to do. I felt their pep and snappiness, but not really the elegance so much in the second half where the edge quality degraded a bit. The choreography and transition could be more interesting, to match the concept of the program, but nice holds for the most part and alright speed.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Muramoto / Reed

Slightly off-sync in the twizzles but still well done (Level 4). Nice edging and smooth circular step (Level 3). Nice illusion out of the combo spin, could have a bit more speed (Level 4). Beautiful around-the-neck changes of position in the stationary lift. Smooth exit out of the spread eagle lift. Diagonal step sequence had good quantity of steps and nice lobes (Level 3). Great choreographic lift right to the end of the music.

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" Wonderful piece of music that I listen to in my spare time sometimes. I like the silence through the music that they were able to capture without ruining the moment. Their phrasing and edge security was better than their effort in the team event. It's nice to have program be set to a single piece of music with natural changes in tempos in the music that editing two together. Of course, it could be faster and have better body lines, but a strong performance from them today.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Zagorski / Guerreiro

Also starting off with the choreo lift. Nice extension from Zagorski on the stationary lift. Good unison with the foot placement in the circular step, could have more speed (Level 4). A bit of a problem on the first two sets of twizzles, particularly with Zagorski on the first set (Level 3). Nice leap into the curve lift (but only Level 1). Combo spin could have more speed and a better upright spin but still high level (Level 4). A little out of sync in places in the midline step but good edges for the most part (Level 3). Good rotational lift and nice use of spread eagles into a simple choreo lift to end.

Compared to Guignard/Fabbri with another Muse program, it didn't have as much speed or power, but they do have stronger body lines and extension at times. Some mistakes on the twizzles and that one curve lift (not sure went wrong just yet), but I think they should go into second so far. They could still use more speed and a deeper connection between them.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Hurtado / Khaliavin

Love how they start with speed and tight holds. Good flamenco styling through the twizzles (Level 4). Nice phrasing and ice coverage of t he circular step (Level 3). Interesting first position in the combo spin, could be slightly faster (Level 4). Good straight line spread eagle lift. Nice tapping into the stationary lift. Twizzles could be a bit smoother in the diagonal step (Level 2). Good positions through the last rotational lift (only a Level 3) and a nice choreographic lift to end the program.

A strong performance for the Spanish team. I felt that they started boldly with a lot of speed and fierce determination. The feeling dissipated a little after the stationary lift with a few mistakes on the diagonal step and the last minute. But the concept and expression of Don Quixote were clear and the flamenco flourishes were precise and unmistakable. I definitely want to see this team grow further.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Gilles / Poirier

Beautiful costumes in the yellow and the suit.

Good multidirectional spin with speed in the single Bielmann lift. Interesting balance point lift with a wonderful exit. Wonderfully matched leg lines and smooth curves through the circular step (Level 3). Secure twizzles - might be a hitch in the first set, but I don't think so (Level 4). Great cantilever spread eagles into the straight line lift. Good change of pace with the jazzy step with clean curves (Level 3). Good extension on the second lift. Fantastic choreographic lift and spin with that wow moment!

Shaken, not stirred, haha. Love the story with this Bond theme. It really came together by the Olympics with the change to the Bond music. They have always been great storytellers and I got the story of the Bond Girl, the romance, and the chase at the end. Very secure edges from Paul that really curved patiently. Lots of wow moments too.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Coomes / Buckland

Nice lobing movements. Smooth transitions through the curve lift.Good speed carried through the circular step (Level 3). Nice changes in elevation through the rotational lift. A bit of a hitch from Coomes on the second set of twizzles but it looks fine on replay (Level 4). Interesting connection into the combo spin and nice position with the camel and upright with the headless variation. Cool swinging straight lift with a difficult balance point on one foot. Good curves through the diagonal step (Level 3) and an interesting choreo lift to end.

I actually liked their previous program better, but I don't mind this Muse program either. The connections and choreography were very intricate in the holds, but I think they need to improve on their connection and project energy into the audience particularly with a piece of music that's this intense. The movements, shapes, and complexity was what made the program more than their expression and intensity compared to the music selection.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Weaver / Poje

Long curves through the circular step, may be a slight hitch on the twizzle from Poje, but very expressive (Level 3). Nice flow and transition into the spin with a fast layback (Level 4). Nice turning that lift into a choreo spin, and a good spread eagle lift with the balance point. Great flow through the diagonal step (Level 4). A little far apart in the twizzles and a bit of a hitch in the last set (Level 2). Good sense of freedom in the rotational lift. Wonderful balance point in the final lift. And a fantastic choreographic lift that shows off their abandon.

A bit of the opposite from Coomes/Buckland. I felt their expression and longing throughout the performance to Je Suis Malade. The sense of sadness and yearning was absolutely clear in the last minute of the program. They were a bit rough in the twizzles, but good on them for getting a Level 4 in the diagonal step. They sold the lovesick tone throughout and had wonderful connection between each other.

Twizzles were a Level 2. Far apart and some issues in the last set.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Chock / Bates

Wonderful Y-spin transition at the start. Beautiful stationary lift with great changes of positions. Nice curve line lift. Stable twizzles with good speed (Level 4). Well-balanced and unfettered circular step. A bit of a slip on the edge on the entry of the spin, but a fall from both of them! Oh no! I don't think the combo spin will count sadly. Great rotational lift with no holds. Wonderful edges in the step sequence (Level 3). And a nice choreo lift with her resting on his shoulder and a good choreo spin, light and airy.

Aw, I feel so bad for Chock and Bates. That darn spin entry had them lose an edge and they both fell on the ice, first real major mistake at the Games so far in the ice dance events. Apart from that, I felt that they were secure and had good edges. They were sensitive and well-timed with their lyrics. So sad that they weren't able to put it other there today. :sad4:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Bobrova / Soloviev

Good synchronization through the twizzles (Level 4). Smooth changes of position and exit on the opening lift. Amazing handstanding balance lift. (And the stream totally crapped out on me...) Silent edge changes through the circular step (Level 3). Not the prettiest spin but solid Level 4, could have more speed (Level 4). Wonderful extension through the back on the rotational lift. Diagonal step is a bit flat-footed, but he edges were alright (surprised at the Level 4 really). Choreo lift is a bit slow but quite expressive.

Love how clear the story is in this program. It's hard to have a story about disconnection, particularly in the eyes, but since it's about blindness, the choreography make sense. I think that they could have had more speed, but the interpretation and the choreography were smart and impactful. An emotional plot that shows off their strengths.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Cappellini / Lanotte

Great upside-down stationary lift with a drag exit. A bit of a problem on the twizzles on the first set from Luca (somehow still l Level 4). Great balance point on the straight line lift. Ease and stability through the spirited serpentine step (Level 4). Decent speed through the combo spin. Could be faster, but secure diagonal step and nice Bielmann drag as a transition. Very open spread eagle lift on a curve. Good choreo lift to end the program.

I think that's the best they can really do with that program. It's classic, simple, pleasant, and very Italian, very them. Fairly good technically, though the GOEs on some of their elements are a bit lower since they could have more speed and ice coverage. I felt uplifted at the end, but it's still not yet a wow. They might go over the Russian team on the PCS, we'll have to see.

Hmm... one of C/L's lifts was extended past the limit so they got a -1 deduction

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Shibutani / Shibutani

Very good speed on the change of feet in the spin (Level 4). Very secure and strong edge changes through the circular step (Level 4). Smooth changes of position in the straight-line lift. Strong stationary lift with calm rotation. Superb synchronization through the twizzles (Level 4). Great rotation in the blurry lift, very Meryl Davis (only a Level 3 actually for some reason). A little stuck in the second part of the diagonal step but good change to try to get a better level (Level 4). Strong choreographic lift and spin to end the program.

They have made a few changes in the program since Nationals, and for the better. The step sequences are more clearly at a higher level (wow, Level 4s on both!). That's pretty much the best they could really do with that program. They were a bit understated and more contained as they usually are, but I think they were able to release their energy much more after the twizzles. Great performance for them! Let's see if Hubbell and Donohue can match it!

Hmm... they lose a level on the lift of all things, strange. But they got Level 4s on both their step sequences, wow!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Papadakis / Cizeron

Just a tiny out of sync in the second set, but beautiful twizzles (Level 4). Great ice coverage on the spread eagle lift. Wonderful curves and smooth connections in the circular step (Level 4). Very fast stationary lift and into a combo spin with good speed (Level 4). Very secure on the straight line sequence (Level 4). Great picturesque lift on the straight line lift. And a peaceful spinning choreo lift.

A mesmerizing performance to Moonlight Sonata. Very clear Level 4s on everything. Very, very few timing hitches - an Olympic Gold-worthy performance. The audience was pretty much silent through it all. There's just a hair of margin for Virtue/Moir to sneak in with their lead from the short, because I won't be surprised if they get a world record here.

Well, 123.35. That's almost the perfect 124. This means Virtue and Moir will need something like 122 to win. Geez...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Hubbell / Donohue

Almost lost it on the second set of twizzles (Level 3). Wonderful serpentine step sequence with careful edges (Level 4). Wonderful center on the multidirectional lift (Level 4). Beautiful diagonal step sequence with deep curves (Level 3). Great curve line lift and a stunning, new stationary lift with many changes of position. Great ice coverage on the spread eagle lift. Wonderful series of choreo twizzles and spins, almost fell out of the choreo twizzles.

The twizzles don't seem to be as secure and the choreographic twizzles seems to have gotten no score, perhaps gone over the time limit. Yep, on the replay, it seems that Donohue lost it on the slip on the last twizzle sequence with a tiny fall there. Ouch, that's going to be costly. So sad for them. Such a shame on that last element. Poor Donohue...

It seems like Hubbell/Donohue have gone back to last year's spin for a clearer Level 4.

Donohue must be so heartbroken after a slight stumble on the twizzle and the technical fall on the choreo twizzle. That was all it took. I'm hoping that they make a comeback at Worlds with a medal

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Virtue / Moir

Beautiful stationary lift to open. Fantastic twizzles right on the music (Level 4). Aggressive curves through the circular step (Level 4). Fantastic somersault into the rotational lift. Wonderfully timed and good extension through the combo spin. Calm and secure step sequence (Level 4). Fantastic curve lift. And that beautiful change for the last choreo lift that uplifts the arena.

I will say that the audience has been more aroused than P/C. This will be very close since it seems as though P/C will win this on tech. The judges may make this very close in the PCS given that P/C has about a .6 lead in the technical score. *nail-biter*