2018 US Int'l Classic Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 US Int'l Classic Free Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I had the same reaction to the sudden death ending. It was like they were trying to decide whether to tell the R&J story or to give their modern dance on it.

Also didn't they learn from Tessa and Scott's FD from last year that sudden death endings isn't exactly a big win?

You know people kvetched about Marlie, but look at the sheer range of their programs: Bollywood, yankee polka Giselle, tango, Broadway razzledazzle, Viennese Waltz with an American twist. Everything with H/D is sex and romance. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You know people kvetched about Marlie, but look at the sheer range of their programs: Bollywood, yankee polka Giselle, tango, Broadway razzledazzle, Viennese Waltz with an American twist. Everything with H/D is sex and romance. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Well I suppose that is why Marlie are OGMs and cashing in the riches of it -- Meryl's a freakin' spokeswoman for Vinmo, how silicon valley is that and Charlie's shaking things up on SM with his political chatter.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a fan, but I do hope the Shibs opt to come back cause I need some freakin' balance cause I have a feeling the entire U.S. Nationals podium will be man-lady/romance programs. :/ (Though maybe the Parsons can shake things up a bit).

And actually to bring it back -- I enjoy Manta/Johnson's FD. It's far too complicated for their skill set, but it has some entertainment value and I kinda like the LGBTQ pride nature of it. (Now that Adam's not competing this season (or ever again?), somebody has take over the club role!)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And H/D's program is different from every other program they've done in Montreal how? The only difference I could see is it's done at a slower tempo and the voiceover/poses, especially at the beginning, are just downright corny. So is the sudden "death of Juliet" at the end. Though to be honest, it's such a generic program that if you hadn't told me it was R&J, I would have no clue. Same old mush, served at a slightly cooler temperature.

The lifts are better though. And their edges.

Now surprise us and do something with that improved technique that has nothing to do with romance and sex.
i didn't find any romance nor sex in there... just a slow acting poison putting me in eternal sleep

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Maybe it would be less boring if there was some romance. They’ve built their success strictly on sex and it’s getting redundant. Imo, they should cut their losses and scrap this program.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
As I said in the new programs thread when they first announced that they were skating to R&J, I predicted that this was going to be a step backward for them. They have finally gotten onto the World podium and it's time that they solidify themselves as World #2. I don't see much potential in this program. Yes I agree Leo's voice at the beginning is distracting and the second piece with prolonged vibrato just dragged it on. This is one of the times where I actually want an extra music cut from them. :laugh:I don't exactly like how they put all choreographic elements in a row at the end, although I think they have a good character step sequence.

Regarding H/B, I think they withdrew from ACI.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Regarding H/B, I think they withdrew from ACI.

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot. Anyway, I just heard their FD music and I actually think they might give us something interesting! Too bad I have to wait LOL.

In other news, Team KoKo looks pretty good for that World spot now that Muramoto/Reed are no more. :cry:

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a big H/D supporter, but I honestly don't know what to think of this program.

Maybe it will grow on me in time, but right now it just looks like something P/C would skate to.

When everyone started flocking to Montreal, I was afraid that the personalities would merge.

I want the old smoldering H/D, the one that made me want to smoke a cigarette after the program.

That grabbed the attention. And no one else can deliver that kind of program.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm a big H/D supporter, but I honestly don't know what to think of this program.

Maybe it will grow on me in time, but right now it just looks like something P/C would skate to.

When everyone started flocking to Montreal, I was afraid that the personalities would merge.

I want the old smoldering H/D, the one that made me want to smoke a cigarette after the program.

That grabbed the attention. And no one else can deliver that kind of program.

I feel the same way. I'm still unsure about this program.

A part of it is that the program seems like it doesn't have a lot of speed across the ice. The sliding movement nearly stops at the end, the choreo step has a lot of stop movements in the middle of the rink, and I find that the music can flatten everything because of its sultry lengthiness. The combination lift also felt stuck, like they were struggling to maintain the momentum from the curve lift into the stationary lift.

Emotionally right now, I feel like it's not so much like kissing as it is touching for the first time, if that makes any sense. The song is about a deep, longing, almost soul-crushing embrace and it currently feels a bit too, um, drowsy. Maybe it's just the altitude, that's it's early in the season, that they're new to the choreography.

And yes, the lyrics at the start don't help. I think they're capable of showing a story without telling it so blatantly from the start.

oly2018

Final Flight
I also felt like they looked really slow out there and I think it had more to do with the music than them as skaters. However, I have disliked about 80% of the sliding choreo we have seen so far.

pearly

Record Breaker
Lajoie/Lagah have a beautiful choreo slide, it goes so well with the music.

I agree with you guys regarding H/D. Gah. I loved them last year.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Had a chance to re-watch Hubbell/Donohue's FD... For me, it is a two steps back repetoire-wise and a let down in terms of standing out, especially comparing this program to last season's one. Here is the thing: in a training centre like Montreal, where so many teams are coached, so many top-tier ones, I feel that a team has to have some individual vision, thought for themselves, their image to stand on their own and form that personality and this FS kind of shows me that Madison and Zach have had none of that. I mean, liking the music is for me not enough reason to pick one, especially admitting that they had no other idea - and it is a shame, because they are talented and skilled, with last season's free that set them a part so much and was so memorable. And there is nothing striking about this FD as for now, not even a costume, it is a pretty, solid skating to music used many times - for me, it is just not enough. Watching ID for past 2/3 quads taught me to appreciate experiments and searching for an identity, to value a challenge, a vision and some kind of evolution in a team. Sadly, Madison and Zach seemed to stop evolving and started to search for a comfort zone and safety in their work. The saddest thing is that I can picture almost every team skating this FD whereas last season I had only them in mind with spicy, characterial dance they had, it is a very 'loose fit' and a forgettable choice.

I would go on with that music choice if the dance, choreography itself are mind-blowing, innovative, but it is also a no - watching them, it all seemed 'accidental', unkempt, an unconvincing try to evoke something bigger than this program is. A far cry from daring, punctuated, provocative choreography they had last season that felt purposeful in every little step or gesture. The sliding movement is one of the worst parts, very mess and totally with no fit to the program. Their skating itself is looking solid and with flow, but the way music is cut and movement is designer manages to hide their best qualities for me.

Musical arrangement seems quite pretentious in my opinion - I have no idea what Radiohead is doing there put over this dreaded voiceover piece... It does not sound coherent and choreo does nothing with this beat, movement wants to reflect the flow of the voiceover piece rather than accentuate these Radiohead reference. Putting more edgy rhythm into a sappy romance with voiceovers won't make it cooler altogether. And 'Kissing You' for the most part... Honestly, I would like to see more mature take on that theme, if they gave to pursue R&J: a little bit of Desree at the beginning, changing into something more dynamic, maybe Radiohead altogether and NO VOICEOVERS which make program looking crafty. Also, I noticed that their twizzling movement outside of actual twizzles element is quite weak and not synchronized; in general, choreography does not do them any favours, dull and forgettable. And the death in the end - very figurative, literal, too abrupt and with no deeper though given; I would rather see them take this music in move abstract journey, outside of R&J story, with no death pose at all. Overall, the program needs something, a push, a strike in some clearer aesthetic - but I don't know, if they will do that with scoring like that, the only aim will be to execute the program cleanly.

And a bit general thought after seeing this FD... If this is the direction Ice Dance is going when it comes to the top, I am just sad to see this kind of uninspired safety and lack of personal identity regarding repetoire. I know it is hard to break the mold, but even Hubbell/Donohue's last FD proved that originality can be effortless and can come out naturally in the field. And there are examples of Virtue/Moir who took a piece and idea out of their individual choice against all odds (quite literally) and made something memorable, personal, close to them out of it, Shibutanis example who turned their career and repetoire 180 degrees by having this trilogy idea which expressed them personally and help them improve connection with audience and between themselves and their material, Lauriault/Le Gac example, directly from Montreal, who despite not being everyone's cup of team regarding programs are pursuing something original second season in a row, making a statement. I mean, it is all possible, but it all depends on a team's agenda competition-wise I feel, sacrifice originality and challenge for results' sake.

pearly

Record Breaker
Great analysis!

Honestly I didn't know what to do with that program, how to watch. Ignore it's Romeo and Juliet or try to make sense of it somehow? Starting from the way they enter the ice, it's sultry and it fit perfectly with their last year's free. This year it's so out of place, I don't even know where to start. Thank you NNF for taking the time to write what so many of us are thinking.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Great analysis!

Honestly I didn't know what to do with that program, how to watch. Ignore it's Romeo and Juliet or try to make sense of it somehow? Starting from the way they enter the ice, it's sultry and it fit perfectly with their last year's free. This year it's so out of place, I don't even know where to start. Thank you NNF for taking the time to write what so many of us are thinking.

Thanks a lot:) :)

The problem really lies on expectation on R&J choice vs actual program vs how they performed it. Looks like they wanted to do their version, re-invented the theme, but with very vauge sense and clear direction where they want to take the story, the music. They wanted to make it more now and hip (Radiohead), yet they are sticking with touchy-feely choreo with sudden death pose finishing the dance... There are too many pinpoints place in that program, but with little purpose or thought given. As an effect, for me it does not feel either fresh nor repetitive - it is just with no favour and we won't develop one by ourselves if there is nothing really served...

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Thanks a lot:) :)

The problem really lies on expectation on R&J choice vs actual program vs how they performed it. Looks like they wanted to do their version, re-invented the theme, but with very vauge sense and clear direction where they want to take the story, the music. They wanted to make it more now and hip (Radiohead), yet they are sticking with touchy-feely choreo with sudden death pose finishing the dance... There are too many pinpoints place in that program, but with little purpose or thought given. As an effect, for me it does not feel either fresh nor repetitive - it is just with no favour and we won't develop one by ourselves if there is nothing really served...

I second pearly's comment - Great analysis! I finally had the chance to watch the program, and it feels completely uninspired and bland. There is no cohesion (The frenetic part is bizarre!), and it just feels blah - good skaters doing a 'nothing' program. I also am unimpressed with their costumes - Her dress is unflattering, and his costume is the typical anti-costume for men: black top and pants. I don't see any connection in the costuming as a result.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
H/D could have benefited from an outside choreographer here and I think at their level, the more input they receive the better. When V/M announced that they were skating to Carmen, people were not over-enthusiastic about their choice. However, they consulted Tessa's dance teacher, Jennifer Swan, to make that dance unique, innovative, and authentic, widely regarded now as a masterpiece. They have hit a rut and need some inspiration. I think even spending a few weeks with Camerlango, their former coach, could have brought this more to life.