2018 US Intl Classic Men's Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 US Intl Classic Men's Free Skate

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, what happened to the great program Josh did for him?

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Jimmy Ma (USA)

Oh no, slipped on the edge for the first jump! Beautiful 3Lo to follow, though. Spread eagle into a strong 3A+3T. Good centering on the camel spin. Good 3Lz+2T after the choreo sequence. Very strong second 3A! Managed a 3Lz+1Eu+3S, but popped into a 1F. Good level changes through the footwork, into a final spin that's a bit shaky near the end.

Shame on the slip and the pop. With his other elements, he would have scored quite high with his landings on his other jumps. He might have tried to put in an extra jump element because I don't think the first slip really counted at all. I think he was able to keep up with the music fairly well.

Free Skate: 132.89
Total Score: 206.10 (Currently 1st)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Slavik HAYRAPETYAN (ARM)

Landed 3A+2T with good height. Nice second 3A as well. Alright 3F. Popped 2Lz with a bit of stumble. Good recovery with the camel spin. Edges are a bit shallow in the footwork and not as energetic as the music behind it. 2Lo+1Eu+3S, likely <. Alright 3Lo into a fine 2A+2A sequence. Nice running moves into the final spins, though the last reverse spin likely won't count.

Slavik actually has good speed, though the transitions tend to be on the simpler side. I think he can project and commit more as he tends to look down at the ice at times.

Free Skate: 119.93
Total Score: 188.93 (Currently 3rd)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Nam Nguyen (CAN)

Good 4S+2T, don't think it was <. Strong second 4S, looks fully rotated. A bit high on the 3Lz into an alright spin. A slow but playful footwork sequence. Good 3A to follow and a 3F+2T, 3F may be <. Popped 1F. A bit slow on the flying spin. Fairly basic choreo step but at least energetic, and an okay spin. Popped the loop at the end into a single, how very ambitious to end with a jump though.

Not sure about some of the rotations and those two pops at the end nixed a lot of the credit he got for the two quads at the start. I do think this La La Land program is good for him since he has to relate to the music to pull it off. A strong work-in-progress for Nguyen.

Free Skate: 133.24
Total Score: 213.52 (Currently 1st)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Michel Brezina (CZE)

Great speed into 4S+2T, a bit forward on landing. Gorgeous 3A! Popped into 3S with a shaky landing. Nice centering on the first flying spin. Good upper body movement in the footwork right into a second spin with decent speed. Flip-out on the 3Lz, and a second 1A pop. Ouch, a fall on the 3F. Eek, a nasty fall to the side on the 2A, maybe 3A intention. Cool rock moves in the choreo sequence, a little late on the choreo step.

I really like this program for Brezina. I feels authentic, clear, and energetic. Sucks that the second half just didn't work out for him because he seemed to nail the opening jumps.

Free Skate: 128.70
Total Score: 208.27 (Currently 2nd)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm going to really enjoy this program later when he skates it fairly clean. I could tell he was almost "running out of gas" about halfway through.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I also dig Michel's free skate as well! He's really winning with the FS -- loved his FS from last season too!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jimmy Ma on the podium! Pretty much affirmed USFSA's decision to give him the SkAm spot.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Yanoslav Panoit (UKR)

Flip-out on the opening 4F attempt (looks <). Fall on the 4T but looked around. Very low landing for the second 4T+1T (could be < as well). Decent first spin right into footwork that could have more speed. Popped 1A, and another popped 1A, ouch. And another popped 1Lz. Second spin a bit labored and not a lot of speed at all for the loop, so only a 1Lo.

I just find the whining guitars rather droll, and the music doesn't show off his skating or personality or anything. With four pops, he's not going to be happy with this skate...

Free Skate: 90.82
Total Score: 165.79 (Currently 8th)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Congrats to the medalists Nam Nguyen, Michal Brezina, and Jimmy Ma!

waxel

Final Flight

I'm not sure why they hold competitions in locations at altitude. Many skaters were clearly suffering even though it was not for lack of conditioning. I guess a willing host is what matters most. And I totally get it. (But it seems almost punitive.)

Big congrats to Nam. Two exciting programs and regained confidence. Also enjoyed Jimmy Ma.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brezina is still competing? Ummm why? Also it seems like Vincent is a slow starter every season if he skated like he did at Nationals and the Olympic he should have run away with this competiton. 213 points should have been easy for him to beat.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Brezina is still competing? Ummm why? Also it seems like Vincent is a slow starter every season if he skated like he did at Nationals and the Olympic he should have run away with this competiton. 213 points should have been easy for him to beat.
He's coming back from a back injury, I gather.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have not watched the videos yet but wanted to Congratulate Nam for winning the Gold Medal. He has had a rough couple of season and fingers crossed that
this is all behind him now.

Congrats to Brezina for winning Silver and Ma for winning the Bronze!