2019 Junior Worlds Men's Free Skate | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2019 Junior Worlds Men's Free Skate

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I did not agree with Gogolev's PCS 70.06. His program was severely interrupted with two hard falls. His performance score was only 0.5 less than Tomoki's and interpretation was 0.57 less than Savosin. In my opinion, his performance should have been in 5s-6s, and interpretation could be in 6s in today's FS. His skating looks juniorish and he is good for jumps and techs. Was he rewarded PCS because he is a quad jumper? His skating skills (jumping skills) were not good tonight because of bad mistakes on his jumps. I thought his high PCS score was insult to other skaters who skated before him and the skater who skated fairly well right after him, received less PCS. Gogolev finished FS in 3rd? I did not get it.

Stephen only had 1 fall. I think his PCS should’ve only been 3-4 points lower. I don’t agree with Savosin’s PCS.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So happy for TOmoki but I wasn't surprised he won. A bit of an American melt down though - yikes. Oh Canada - couldn't do it when it counted both boys! Didn't get three for next year.

Michetta

Rinkside
Sorry if there was only one fall. I just remembered there were 2 interruptions. As I am away from computer, I will not be able to look at the video until later. Basically what I wanted to say was that I did not think his performance was deserving of a small medal for the long program. I do not usually discuss scores because unless I trust the judges, I cannot enjoy the sports. But I felt I had to voice my opinion this time. (I felt his PCS for his SP was high too, and I agree with you that I would not have put Sabosin first, but that is just my opinion).

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Skater Boy;2356[B said:
098]So happy for TOmoki but I wasn't surprised he won. A bit of an American melt down though - yikes. Oh Canada - couldn't do it when it counted both boys! Didn't get three for next year.
[/B]

Who cares when stephen comes back next season and wins everything!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Wheee!!! Way to go, Tomoki!

Talk about a great example of sticking with it through the obstacles and challenges and growing as a competitor. I don't know how many times he has gone last in the past couple seasons, but more often than the odds. Must have been preparing him to deal with the pressure today. I'm thrilled.:dance2:

Really wanted it for him, but this being the men, the odds are so tough. Good on him.

And what a great skate for Roman! Also has stuck it out through so many tough challenging skates. Getting close and missing the big podiums. Earned his spot there today for sure.

Hot mess of an event, per usual; but the guys brought their stuff. So many of them going for jumps they've never had during previous seasons. It's fun to see them coming into their own.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
[/B]

Who cares when stephen comes back next season and wins everything!

It was better for him not to win this time---if he did, he mightn't feel the need to improve his presentation, which he needs to do to be competitive with the older, more experienced skaters.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
My baby...the baby of the boys didn't.

But lessons learned one hopes and on to next year.

Proud that he soldiered on after that awful fall.

you can be still a proud mama :biggrin: he achieved so much in his first jr year, he is basically a wonder kid and think that he will improve further, so many years of happiness are ahead of you :biggrin:

Now I'm hoping Matteo Rizzo gets 10th at Worlds so that Grassl can go to 2020 Worlds.

remember sr men are a mess too :biggrin: so matteo could get even higher than 10th, i'm confident we'll get 2 spot for 2020 (i don't want to think how underwhelming other italian men are...)

Is everyone still watching the medal ceremony? Tomoki's split jumps! :love:

Also, Italy must be so proud - men's bronze at Junior worlds two years in a row!!

and gold at universiade :cool: i'm proud :biggrin:

Okay, how many points did you guys get in your predictions?

I got 10. Go me.

I got 15 points, I had Daniel in third.

15...mama love :biggrin:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
What a weird podium.

Besides Grassl which i've always thought he had the potential to be JW medalist, the other two were completely unexpected. The favourites here were disappointing and the caller was also a bit weird. (a little picky with some and lenient with others)

Hiwatashi has always been a great talent but always inconsistent, great to see him winning here. He should start to work on more quads going into seniors.

Shout out to the whole team working with Savosin cause i remember him 4 years ago and he was super unpolished, very much like Samarin and with worse jumps. They've been working hard on improving everything, and this season he had two great programs, much more mature artistically, and the jumps are getting better, especially the quads. I hope they keep this style of packaging moving into seniors.

remember sr men are a mess too :biggrin: so matteo could get even higher than 10th, i'm confident we'll get 2 spot for 2020 (i don't want to think how underwhelming other italian men are...)

Bring em on, i think competition is always good, Matteo Rizzo has been doing great, but Daniel Grassl also pushes him to work more. They are both showing that being top single skater in Italy is not impossible.

If Edoardo De Bernardis can find a good technician for his group, we would have more competitive skaters in Ladies too and for example that could push Lucrezia Beccari to try the 3-3 combo.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hiwatashi has always been a great talent but always inconsistent

But not inconsistent this post season. He has done the job at U.S. Championships, 4CCs, and Junior Worlds. Has really grown as a competitor.

Medaled in both JGPs as well and didn't let the JGPF derail his season. Had a tough FS at his senior B as well, but got the job done with his minimum scores. Accepted that the JGPF was a new experience and used it as a building block to learn from.

I'm really proud of him. You know it's not uncommon for it to happen this way with an athlete that has a lot of talent early on. They medal before anyone is prepared for them to do so--including themselves. And then, of course, they often don't have the competition skills to deal with those raised expectations. It takes time to develop those skills, especially with young athletes still developing their content and simultaneously growing & having to adapt to their bodies. Tomoki is still very small; but in his case, he had some major injury issues. Plus coaching changes. But ever since last year's JGP he's been on his way back. Learning & improving & whee! Here we are. He seems to have found a right fit for him with Allen & Christy Krall.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
But not inconsistent this post season. He has done the job at U.S. Championships, 4CCs, and Junior Worlds. Has really grown as a competitor.

Medaled in both JGPs as well and didn't let the JGPF derail his season. Had a tough FS at his senior B as well, but got the job done with his minimum scores. Accepted that the JGPF was a new experience and used it as a building block to learn from.

I'm really proud of him. You know it's not uncommon for it to happen this way with an athlete that has a lot of talent early on. They medal before anyone is prepared for them to do so--including themselves. And then, of course, they often don't have the competition skills to deal with those raised expectations. It takes time to develop those skills, especially with young athletes still developing their content and simultaneously growing & having to adapt to their bodies. Tomoki is still very small; but in his case, he had some major injury issues. Plus coaching changes. But ever since last year's JGP he's been on his way back. Learning & improving & whee! Here we are. He seems to have found a right fit for him with Allen & Christy Krall.

And he is a really nice guy who takes time for us fans...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I just wish Camden would switch to that coaching team.

century2009

On the Ice
Tomoki did a great job here as he set himself up for Senior next year.

He will need to add more quads and he can shake up the #2 and #3 spot for US men (Nathan is #1).

Camden need to move to a different coach. If he adds quads, he can also shake up #2 and #3, but not expecting a lot from him.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
So happy for Tomoki! Disappointed for Pulkinen & Krasnozhon but future looks good for rebuilding the US's depth in men's free.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
What a weird podium.

Besides Grassl which i've always thought he had the potential to be JW medalist, the other two were completely unexpected. The favourites here were disappointing and the caller was also a bit weird. (a little picky with some and lenient with others)

Hiwatashi has always been a great talent but always inconsistent, great to see him winning here. He should start to work on more quads going into seniors.

Shout out to the whole team working with Savosin cause i remember him 4 years ago and he was super unpolished, very much like Samarin and with worse jumps. They've been working hard on improving everything, and this season he had two great programs, much more mature artistically, and the jumps are getting better, especially the quads. I hope they keep this style of packaging moving into seniors.

Bring em on, i think competition is always good, Matteo Rizzo has been doing great, but Daniel Grassl also pushes him to work more. They are both showing that being top single skater in Italy is not impossible.

If Edoardo De Bernardis can find a good technician for his group, we would have more competitive skaters in Ladies too and for example that could push Lucrezia Beccari to try the 3-3 combo.

that would be so great! lucrezia already has all the star quality she needs, she just has to improve her tech and confidence (also i'm siriously hoping they keep her in junior next season, she still has a lot to learn)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
you can be still a proud mama :biggrin: he achieved so much in his first jr year, he is basically a wonder kid and think that he will improve further, so many years of happiness are ahead of you :biggrin:

and gold at universiade :cool: i'm proud :biggrin:

15...mama love :biggrin:

I think a lot will depend on the third American Jimmy, two Russians and the two Canadians. Those five beat Matteo and assuming Jason, Nathan, three Japanese men, Cha, it could easily be game over. Though if it is top 12 there would be a better chance - is it top ten or twelve.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
THe men are clearly pushing themselves. Tomoki had the best overall programs and short combined. Feel sad for Cam but he needs to get consistent. I didn't realize how hurt Gogolov was - so impressive he pushed on after the fall and stabbing himself.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I think a lot will depend on the third American Jimmy, two Russians and the two Canadians. Those five beat Matteo and assuming Jason, Nathan, three Japanese men, Cha, it could easily be game over. Though if it is top 12 there would be a better chance - is it top ten or twelve.

very likely, but you know anything can happen, we're talking about men after all. matteo's already beaten the two russians in question (let this girl dream :biggrin:) i think a 8th or even 7th place is not out of the realm of possibilities