2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

happycamper2554

On the Ice
They are french or russian team ?

They are listed as a team in one of the zhulin coaches bios. No way drozd gets released from Russia after skating internationally last year. So they will skate for Russia. They also were going to skate for russia prior

el henry

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Copying from the Utashin Fan Fest:

Reports on Twitter that Japanese Ice Dancers Utana Yoshida and Shingo Nishiyama have split:

This is a tweet from Shingo:

https://twitter.com/shinnnnn_gooo/status/1351001616196001794

I don't read Japanese and can't copy for a translator because it's a photo. This Twitter user says:

"Shingo has just announced that he has ended his partnership with Utana. The reason is the difference in what they're pursuing (environment, principles, directions etc.) They had many discussions, but failed to fill the gap. Shingo is going to continue ice dance."

https://twitter.com/ShuPa93156524

😭😭😭😭

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Oh noooooo!!!! 😭
The translation is pretty accurate, but it's stock phrasing for teams splitting up. I imagine Shingo will have no problem finding a partner, though maybe not one with Utana's experience. What a bummer! Hope they can both continue in ice dance with new partners.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh noooooo!!!! 😭
The translation is pretty accurate, but it's stock phrasing for teams splitting up. I imagine Shingo will have no problem finding a partner, though maybe not one with Utana's experience. What a bummer! Hope they can both continue in ice dance with new partners.
Does this help Daisuke Takahashi's chance to go to the olympics in dance

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Megan Wessenberg is now paired with Blake Einsach.

Winter Deardorff / Mikhail Johnson have split, as Johnson has retired to go to med school via the military.
Tell me more... I may have missed something (which can happen easily), but who is Blake Einsach? I know the other two, and though I'm sad about splits. I get the reasoning.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tell me more... I may have missed something (which can happen easily), but who is Blake Einsach? I know the other two, and though I'm sad about splits. I get the reasoning.
I can't seem to remember where I saw it, but I'm almost certain they're training with Todd and Jenny. I vaguely recall video of them doing some SBS triples, which were reasonably well done, but not any pair elements. About what you'd expect from a new pair. We'll see where this leads.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't seem to remember where I saw it, but I'm almost certain they're training with Todd and Jenny. I vaguely recall video of them doing some SBS triples, which were reasonably well done, but not any pair elements. About what you'd expect from a new pair. We'll see where this leads.
Well, if I'd read the next post, I'd have seen the link provided by @Gia_Sesshoumaru that shows those jumps from Todd and Jenny's Instagram. At least I know my memory hasn't *completely* gone.

BlissfulSynergy

Final Flight
Country
Mars
Megan Wessenberg is now paired with Blake Einsach.

Winter Deardorff / Mikhail Johnson have split, as Johnson has retired to go to med school via the military.
Awww, I had been looking forward to good things possibly happening for these two mirror partners. Sadly, I suppose many skaters are seriously thinking about other options. It must have been a huge disappointment for Winter & Mikhail not to be able to debut at senior Nationals after all their hard work over the past couple of years. I feel sorry for Winter, as she seems as if she enjoys pairs skating. I hope she finds another partner.

The current situation with their coach being under investigation surely did not help if they were reflecting upon their future prospects and potential to improve and to move up the ranks. I also heard that another of Sappenfield's pair teams has split: Brynne McIsaac and Mark Sadusky, who competed so well at the Challenge event! Unfortunately, like Winter & Mikhail, along with another pair team at their rink, Brynne & Mark were also unable to attend Nationals (reportedly due to having been 'exposed to someone suspected of having COVID.' Or something of that nature).

Oh, and I'm happy to hear about Blake & Megan pairing up. Red-haired Blake looked good with red-haired Grace Knoop. Grace famously had a foot injury (I think it was) at 2020 U.S. Junior Pairs Challenge, and they competed anyway without doing anything strenuous, just in order to qualify. But then they split. I believe they were training in Florida with Jim Peterson at the time. Nowadays, TeamJenni&Todd in Irvine seems the place to be for U.S. pairs. I heard that Kate Finster and her brother are at that rink now too.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Final Flight
Country
Mars
And source for Deardroff / Johnson: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKsVp_fL41i/
Well, judging by this Instagram post, perhaps Winter & Mikhail enjoyed their time working together with Sappenfield, and the current investigation is not part of their personal reflection. Perhaps Mikhail had been planning to retire soon anyway if he got accepted into medical school. It's just so sad that they didn't have the chance to skate at 2021 U.S. Nationals to put a cap on their career together.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Livvy Shilling and Alexander Petrov, 8th in Ice Dance at 2021 US Nationals, have split, according to her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLX2SaVLaja/
She intends to continue skating, I've not seen anything from him yet on whether he plans to continue or not.
Best of luck to them both in the future!

I wonder if Alexander is planning to come back home. It would be great if we did get him back!

What British girls are currently without partners?

CaroLiza_fan

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Stanislava Vislobokova/Dmitrii Ialin have apparently split. I know they only did one competition together and it's not shocking but I thought I'd put it here.