2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
2019 US Junior Pairs Champion Keenan Prochnow has retired, according to his partner Laiken's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMEGClihjUr/?igshid=pzkabhf40ir1
Laiken posted a lovely message remembering their partnership, and says that, with Keenan's support, she will now seek a new partner.
Best of luck to Laiken in finding a partner, and best of luck to Keenan in pursuing his dreams outside of skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New ice dance partnerships:

(1) Solene Mazingue + Marco Jevgeni Gaidajenko

They just competed together in Estonia.

(Junior Nationals, I think? I was looking at the results page yesterday, but can no longer find it?)

ETA (on May 28):

Finally adding the link for March 2021 results from Junior Nationals, where M/G placed second.​

(2) Ayumi Takanami + Shingo Nishiyama

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2019 US Junior Pairs Champion Keenan Prochnow has retired, according to his partner Laiken's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMEGClihjUr/?igshid=pzkabhf40ir1
Laiken posted a lovely message remembering their partnership, and says that, with Keenan's support, she will now seek a new partner.
Best of luck to Laiken in finding a partner, and best of luck to Keenan in pursuing his dreams outside of skating.

In Keenan Prochnow's own Instagram post last night, he specifically mentioned that returning to competitive skating down the road is within the realm of possibility for him.
(Not a verbatim quote, but his meaning was unmistakable.)

Keenan's message did not use the word "retire."
When referring to Keenan, Laiken had not used the word "retire" either.

Keenan had very fond words for their partnership, and he wished Laiken nothing but the best.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
In Keenan Prochnow's own Instagram post last night, he specifically mentioned that returning to competitive skating down the road is within the realm of possibility for him.
(Not a verbatim quote, but his meaning was unmistakable.)

Keenan's message did not use the word "retire."
When referring to Keenan, Laiken had not used the word "retire" either.

Keenan had very fond words for their partnership, and he wished Laiken nothing but the best.
Apologies for my choice of wording, I took 'step away from competitive skating' to mean 'retire' but you are quite right that they are not the same thing.

surimi

Good luck in the new season, Sota!
Record Breaker
Not sure where the coaching changes thread is anymore, but more of an addendum. An update to Jin's coaching team:
Thanks! I have to look for the thread too, it's always buried somewhere. I wish all of new programs, retirements/splits, *and* coaching changes, were in Sticky threads, so that people know where to post info. I'm going to edit Boyang's coaches into the OP now.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

here you go

Lota

Record Breaker
That's so sad, she's such a lovely skater :cry: Still can't forgive the Chinese Skating Fed. for splitting Yu/Jin up, I think it was really short-sighted of them (for the record, I really like Peng, I just felt like the Yu/Jin pairing was better overall). And it is sad that she is leaving the sport with some regrets. But, like Yu said, there are no "what-ifs" in real life, so no point in dwelling on it. I wish Yu all the best in the future, whatever she may choose to do.

surimi

Good luck in the new season, Sota!
Record Breaker
So her partnership with Wang didn't work. :( That's too bad, she was so talented :( Good luck to her in the post-skating life!

BlissfulSynergy

Medalist
Country
Mars
Is there any video of Xiaoyu with the recent partner, Wang, after splitting with Hao Zhang? I'm sad not to be able to see Xiaoyu compete again. :(

"... To be a person is to be able to dare to try things, and also to let things go." Xiaoyu Yu

Wow, Xiaoyu is very reflective and insightful. I think it may be harder and more courageous to be able to 'let things go,' i.e., let a career go, than to 'dare to try things' in skating.

Had the fed allowed her to stay with Jin, seemingly they would have gone far based on their talent and connection. But Sui/Han have been the top-favored team by Shen/Zhao. Peng/Jin were actually viewed as third behind Yu/Zhang, but P/J came together more successfully than Y/Z.

Last edited: