2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I know Le Figaro is a well respected newspaper, but do we have an official source? Because I am really hoping that there has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and that Vanessa is not retiring.

I was really hoping that after sitting this year out (for obvious reasons), Vanessa would cut all ties with the FFSG and return home to Team GB. Because, let's face it, British Pairs skating is in serious trouble. Zoe and Chris were the only Pairs partnerships competing at the British Championships at any level this season. So, when they retire, there is nobody coming up behind them.

If somebody of Vanessa's ability was available to compete for GB again, it might persuade some of our Singles guys to switch to Pairs. Or might even persuade Chris to carry on when Zoe decides to call it a day.

So, I really hope that Vanessa does carry on and does return to representing Great Britain. Because as it is, we have no other options on the horizon.

CaroLiza_fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am genuinely very sorry that this has happened to her. I know her only by her television persona, but she seems a nice person, and very talented.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know Le Figaro is a well respected newspaper, but do we have an official source? Because I am really hoping that there has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and that Vanessa is not retiring.

I was really hoping that after sitting this year out (for obvious reasons), Vanessa would cut all ties with the FFSG and return home to Team GB. Because, let's face it, British Pairs skating is in serious trouble. Zoe and Chris were the only Pairs partnerships competing at the British Championships at any level this season. So, when they retire, there is nobody coming up behind them.

If somebody of Vanessa's ability was available to compete for GB again, it might persuade some of our Singles guys to switch to Pairs. Or might even persuade Chris to carry on when Zoe decides to call it a day.

So, I really hope that Vanessa does carry on and does return to representing Great Britain. Because as it is, we have no other options on the horizon.

CaroLiza_fan
It’s also been reported in L’Equipe and on the FFSG Instagram.

I thought Anastasia Vaipan-Law and Luke Digby were back in training as a new GB pair now though?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm not surprised by the retirement of Morgan and Vanessa, given the circumstances I feel it's appropriate, but I do feel badly for Vanessa

Yes, I feel really sorry for Vanessa. She has had her career ruined by her skating partner's off ice actions. Which is not fair.

OK, I know she is in her 30's now, and would probably be thinking about retiring anyway. But, she had a great shot at "doing an Aljona", and finally getting that elusive Gold Medal in the upcoming Olympics. (And if she did, she would have been older than Aljona by about 4 months).

It’s also been reported in L’Equipe and on the FFSG Instagram.

Thank you. I didn't even know the FFSG had an Instagram! (Not that I would be visiting it anyway. The less I hear about that organisation the better!)

I thought Anastasia Vaipan-Law and Luke Digby were back in training as a new GB pair now though?

Oh, for goodness sake! I had forgot about Anastasia and Luke! :drama: (That's what happens when you write posts too close to bed time! :slink: )

In the long term, they are the future. But at the moment, they are both brand new to Pairs. So it will take some time for them to learn the ropes and get up to the level to be fighting for minimum TES's. Assuming that Zoe and Chris call it a day at the end of this Olympic cycle (whether there is an Olympics or not), I would still like somebody with a bit more experience to be able to take up the mantle as team leaders.

You know, it's a real pity that Molly Lanaghan switched to Ice Dance and moved over to Canada...

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not surprised by the retirement of Morgan and Vanessa, given the circumstances I feel it's appropriate, but I do feel badly for Vanessa

I have my doubts regarding what she knew and when. So I don't, really.

hyperbunny

Rinkside
Aside from the obvious discussion topics, this is potentially a big shakeup for the Team Event in Beijing. Team China, Japan, and Canada now all have a better shot at that bronze (assuming US and Russia will finish 1-2). Italy also potentially has an outside shot, I suppose.

hanca

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan
Firstly, Vanessa is 33. After she would sit out a year, she would be 34. While there have been a few skaters who skated competitively (at elite level) when over 30, I don’t think she has a need to start from zero with someone else at this age. Secondly, you are talking about sitting out a year, but the French federation doesn’t have to release her after a year. They can hold her for as long as they want to. Massot paid a lot of money to be released, and considering his past result, it is likely that the French federation would want even more money from Vanessa James because her results were significantly higher than Massot’s results. In any case, she would not be released in time for this Olympics, and at the next one she would be 38. She already has medals from Europens and worlds, so I don’t think she has a need to come back just for a chance of getting a few more.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the only problem would be that Nazarov is no longer junior eligible (IIRC) so they would have to go straight to senior which would likely be difficult for Kanysheva as she's never done ice dance before.
True but neigher has Daisuke Takahashi.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Although it's uncertain if there is a season, I think it's time for a new thread so that the other one isn't cluttered. I'll try to keep it updated.

Retirements:
- Vanessa James/Morgan Cipres
- Sergei Voronov
- Elena Radionova
- Maria Sotskova
- Valentina Marchei
- Viveca Lindfors
- Polina Edmunds
- Anna Duskova
- Daria Panenkova

Splits:
ID = ice dance, P = pairs

- (ID) Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik (USA)
- (ID) Anastasia Shpilevaya/Grigory Smirnov (Russia)
- (P) Laura Barquero/Ton Consul (Spain)
- (P) Anna Duskova/Radek Jakubka (Czech Rep.)
- (ID) Sofia Val/Linus Colmor Jepsen (Spain)
- (ID) Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Andrei Filatov (Russia)
- (P) Isabella Gamez/David-Alexandre Paradis (Philippines)

Partner Changes/New Teams:
- (P) Xiaoyu Yu/Lei Wang (China)
- (P) Alisa Efimova/Ruben Blommaert (Germany, but Alisa hasn't been released yet)
- (ID) Alena Kanysheva/Andrei Pylin (Russia)
- Polina Kostiukovich/Alexei Bruikhanov
- (ID) Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Egor Bazin (Russia)
- (ID) Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov (USA)
- Viktoria Vasilieva/Nikita Volodin (Russia)
- Justine Brasseur/Zachary Daleman (Canada)
- (P)Chloe Choinard/Livio Mayr (Austria)

Announced Returns:
- Rika Hongo
- rumour: Daisuke Murakami (for the US)
In respect to the "big" names retiring none of them were huge surprise. The Russian ladies sadly may be more due to the competitive environment there. james and cipres separate from the recent developments with Morgan it was known they may not make it through this quad cycle. Sotskova, even without the ban like so many ofthe Russian ladies it was known it would be so hard for her to compete with the up and coming stars.

hanca

Record Breaker
True but neigher has Daisuke Takahashi.
Yes, but it is not as if Japan was strong in ice dance. Daisuke Takahashi has a chance because there is no much competition in ice dance in Japan. Whereas there is huge competition within ice dance in Russia. Starting as a senior when Russian juniors are medalling at the junior worlds... Stavitskaya tried that and didn’t get anywhere.

Andrea82

Medalist
Francesca Righi and Aleksei Dubrovin, Italian Junior Ice Dancers (National Champs 2018/19, National Bronze Medalists 2019/20, 13th at JWC 2019) have also split according to her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3CvQZJkiT/ They had been together for 5 years. She wishes him all the best, and says that she won't quit skating, so I assume she will be looking for another partner. It's not clear what he will do next. Best of luck to them both in the future.

I see that Dubrovin has partnered with Chiara Calderone. They are entered in an Italian national competition to be held at the end of November.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, I feel really sorry for Vanessa. She has had her career ruined by her skating partner's off ice actions. Which is not fair.

OK, I know she is in her 30's now, and would probably be thinking about retiring anyway. But, she had a great shot at "doing an Aljona", and finally getting that elusive Gold Medal in the upcoming Olympics. (And if she did, she would have been older than Aljona by about 4 months).

Thank you. I didn't even know the FFSG had an Instagram! (Not that I would be visiting it anyway. The less I hear about that organisation the better!)

Oh, for goodness sake! I had forgot about Anastasia and Luke! :drama: (That's what happens when you write posts too close to bed time! :slink: )

In the long term, they are the future. But at the moment, they are both brand new to Pairs. So it will take some time for them to learn the ropes and get up to the level to be fighting for minimum TES's. Assuming that Zoe and Chris call it a day at the end of this Olympic cycle (whether there is an Olympics or not), I would still like somebody with a bit more experience to be able to take up the mantle as team leaders.

You know, it's a real pity that Molly Lanaghan switched to Ice Dance and moved over to Canada...

CaroLiza_fan
I don't think we can say James and Cipres had a great shot of winning gold at the olympics like Aliona. Going to the o lympics yes, Maybe even a medal. However, the Chinese might have a say and even though Russia is not in its best shape for pairs. All three teams they send have the potential to beat James and Cipres.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Ah, never say never @Skater Boy. Vanessa & Morgan, but especially Vanessa achieving all that she did in the sport of figure skating some would have said was NOT possible. Vanessa & Morgan had proven their competitive mettle, and also had 'the potential' to beat other top teams. Vanessa always kept her eyes on the prize with grace, determination and a beautiful smile through so many ups-and-downs.

The Chinese teams are not unbeatable. 2019 GPF with the top two Chinese teams, the top Canadian team and three young Russian teams was a bust. A lot of fans spoke about missing Tarasova/Morosov and James/Cipres at that less than competitively stellar 2019 pairs event.

Who would have predicted that James/Cipres would win every competition (except for Worlds) that they entered in what turned out to be their final competitive season (2018 - 2019)? They won not because Sui/Han were out injured, or because Tarasova/Morosov were not at their best. James/Cipres won because they were at their best against the top contending pairs they competed against at every event, except for Worlds where they faltered mentally. They unpredictably came back from 4th in the sp at GPF to win gold, and then capped off Euros gold in January 2019.

At 2019 Worlds, IMO, the judges favored T/M and S/H in the sp scoring well before J/C were slated to skate. To even achieve bronze at 2019 Worlds, J/C woulda had to be perfect, which is hard for any pair team to accomplish. That said, even when J/C were perfectly clean and stunning in both programs at their breakout 2017 Euros event, the judges managed to keep them in third against teams with greater rep who had faltered a bit in the sp. In second after the sp, it is debatable that J/C did not remain in second place, or possibly even win. But of course, T/M and S/M had more political rep and competitive prestige (and performed better in their fps than they had in their sps). I wasn't unhappy with the final result.

To be perfectly honest, who says that Aliona & Bruno (S/M) had it in the bag at the 2018 Olympics? Even heading into the event, there was no huge feeling that they were going to win gold, despite a lot of fans rooting for them. Sui/Han were strong contenders, as were Tarasova/Morosov and Duhamel/Radford. Let's not forget that Aliona & Bruno were in 4th heading into the fp, which is what made their stunning performance and ultimate come-from-behind victory so exciting, compelling, and now legendary.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I wonder what happened to the Cate Fleming/Jedidiah Isbell partnership? Cate Fleming is now on IcePartner Search:

I thought Cate and Jedidiah were such a lovely young team with a bright future together. But I guess life happens.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I never meant to suggest it was impossible they could win gold. But they had said after teh last olympics it was year to year. And yes they could win gold but it is also potentially they could end up near the bottom of the top ten. Vanessa is NOT Aliona. She isn't even a Duhamel - she doesn't have their grit and determination. Yes she is very strong but not like those two ladies. Its not a criticism. Not everyone is a Savchenko