Making rhinestone vest and tie combos cool
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

BlissfulSynergy

On the Ice
Country
Mars
I never meant to suggest it was impossible they could win gold. But they had said after teh last olympics it was year to year. And yes they could win gold but it is also potentially they could end up near the bottom of the top ten. Vanessa is NOT Aliona. She isn't even a Duhamel - she doesn't have their grit and determination. Yes she is very strong but not like those two ladies. Its not a criticism. Not everyone is a Savchenko
Pardon me, but I disagree with what you are expressing, which may not be a criticism in your eyes, but it comes across very much like a putdown. There's no necessity to like J/C and their skating nor to think they could have been in a position to win the Olympics in France, but to suggest they "could end up near the bottom of the top ten," is a very dismissive comment. They certainly would not belong there on merit after all the strides they made, and after all the influential style and movement aesthetics they brought to their skating, that became their signature over the last several seasons of their career.

Vanessa has her own brand of grit and determination. Only Aliona is Aliona, and that's as it should be. Only Duhamel is Duhamel, naturally. Only Vanessa is Vanessa, c'est bien! Thanks to the skating gods for Vanessa's abounding grace, determination and courageous battle to carve out a successful career in this difficult, and very political sport.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Thanks to the skating gods for Vanessa's abounding grace, determination and courageous battle to carve out a successful career in this difficult, and very political sport.
^^ This. Vanessa's determination is quietly and beautifully expressed in her skating and also in the way she would always cast their past challenges in a way that gave her hope and optimism for another day and another result.

It's a common attitude among figure skating fans to think there's only one way to express grit and determination, but I disagree with that. Aljona has her own brand of persistence - like a strain of liquid steel inside her; Meagan has hers, which is sort of a hunker-down tenacity. It's much better to develop a strength in a way that works with one's own personality and character. Vanessa's kind of persistence is more like yoga than aerobics ... it's sort of a deep intention that resonates within her and moves her forward. JMO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know people are passionate about their beloved skaters. Please don't take it personally; everyone has their opinion. Grit, talent, ability, fierceness whatever Vanessa's make up while has the potential for gold also cold be at the botto of the top ten and she herself knew she might not skate on to Beijing. We have seen gritty skaters Stobova, Kavaguti, Knerim, Moore-Tower and of course James. It is hard to have the success of Aliona or even Megan. Not everyone will have that success. It's like saying so and so is special - if everyone is special then no one is special if that makes sense.