2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Really? Is he just biding time, or does he truly have good enough singles skills?
Aye - there was a post and he was jumping - only small jumps though so no idea about the skills. No idea if he is just biding his time...I thought he and Avonley had a good relationship so it would make sense they would split if he wanted to do singles..,

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There's no indication that Avonley and Vadym split a divinely promising ice dance partnership because Vadym wanted to try out his singles skills! I was only surmising that since Vadym apparently hasn't had success finding a new partner yet, perhaps he is trying to maintain his overall skating skills at this point.

It really would be so sad if neither Avonley nor Vadym are able to find new partners and continue in ice dance. They were special together. Even if they do find other capable partners, it's unlikely that magic of the caliber they found and developed will strike twice, let alone thrice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Aye - there was a post and he was jumping - only small jumps though so no idea about the skills. No idea if he is just biding his time...I thought he and Avonley had a good relationship so it would make sense they would split if he wanted to do singles..,
He at least knows the basics as he would have learned them training as a kid in Ukraine. He started skating at 4, so the basics (even small jumps would probably be there), before he chose ice dance and proceeded with that.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's no indication that Avonley and Vadym split a divinely promising ice dance partnership because Vadym wanted to try out his singles skills! I was only surmising that since Vadym apparently hasn't had success finding a new partner yet, perhaps he is trying to maintain his overall skating skills at this point.

It really would be so sad if neither Avonley nor Vadym are able to find new partners and continue in ice dance. They were special together. Even if they do find other capable partners, it's unlikely that magic of the caliber they found and developed will strike twice, let alone thrice.
Divinely promising is right. I may be a diehard optimist, but if they were to try again together after a cooling-off period, they wouldn't be the first dance couple to split and then try again. Of course it's rare, but some time and maturity could give them a new perspective.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I read a rumour online that Vadym had tried out with Annabelle Morozov in Moscow, but it doesn't look like anything happened there. Also I don't see him representing anywhere other than the U.S. I think he is still wanting to continue in ice dance!

theblade

On the Ice
Although I cannot speak out of turn, all this speculation is just that. Vadym is doing okay. Social media is used for many different types of messages. Sometimes fun, sometimes serious. When Vadym has something to say, he'll say it. Same for Avonley. This era of social media moves at breakneck speed; when skaters need privacy to determine their next steps, they'll do what they can to preserve their privilege to do so.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Alexei Krasnozhon has announced his retirement. Good luck!

https://www.instagram.com/p/COxkuZbLxJx/

:jaw:

Such a shame. I liked Alexei.

But, I can totally understand his reasons. Competing at the highest level in figure skating and studying at Uni both take a lot of time and work. So, it is never easy to juggle them.

All the best to him with his studies, and whatever life holds for him afterwards!

Спасибо, Алексей!

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexei Krasnozhon has announced his retirement. Good luck!

Edited to include:

😭😭😭

I will miss your passion and your style on the ice and of course your amazing attempts at the 4Lo. I can't believe my wild jumper won't be at the Philly comp. 😭

But I did see TCU in your IG bio a few days ago and wonder ;)

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be an excellent immigration attorney!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've always enjoyed watching Alexei skate! I love his fun, energetic programs choreographed by Alex Johnson. Alexei has had memorable moments in his skating. I wish he hadn't missed out on that Junior Worlds win he came so close to, but had to withdraw from fs after sustaining or aggravating an injury.

Cool that Alexei is interested in immigration law. It's a fascinating field, which he obviously has by necessity been learning a lot about during his U.S. citizenship quest. Apparently, Alexei saw no chance of being able to compete at a timely Olympics due to the lengthy requirements of the citizenship process. Wielding the same fire and passion he brought to his skating, he is sure to be successful in his future endeavors. Kudos to Alexei!

Weathergal

Medalist
back to Transilvania then? i'm going to miss him
elektra blue thanks for the laugh! I was sad to read that Alexei retired, and I appreciate you lightening the moment. LOL

I'll miss him, too. I had read that he said he wasn't going to continue after the 2022 Olympics, but for some reason I was thinking he was still going to skate this next season. I was heartbroken for him when he got injured in the middle of his free skate during Junior Worlds a few years ago. He had so much promise, and it seemed like after that he was struggling to get back to where he was.

I enjoyed his skating and the drama and intensity he brought to it. I wish him much luck and happiness at school and as he pursues his career in immigration law.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
elektra blue thanks for the laugh! I was sad to read that Alexei retired, and I appreciate you lightening the moment. LOL

I'll miss him, too. I had read that he said he wasn't going to continue after the 2022 Olympics, but for some reason I was thinking he was still going to skate this next season. I was heartbroken for him when he got injured in the middle of his free skate during Junior Worlds a few years ago. He had so much promise, and it seemed like after that he was struggling to get back to where he was.

I enjoyed his skating and the drama and intensity he brought to it. I wish him much luck and happiness at school and as he pursues his career in immigration law.

He did say in an earlier interview that this upcoming year would be his last, but he seems he has decided to move up his timetable. He seems (rightly) proud of being admitted to TCU's Honors College, so a complete guess maybe that affected his decision?

And jumping off, with props to Dracula, I will never forget his Rodeo long program as a junior, where (for me) he first really expressed his passion and sense of humor.

He can now channel his inner cowboy in Texas:biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m so sad. I’ve never understood skaters quitting to go to school. One can go to school at 30, 40, 50, heck I know a lady who got a PhD in her 70s. There’s only so much time one can be a competitive skater.
He’s so young. Oh well. Best of luck to him. I’m sure he will make an excellent attorney.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I’m so sad. I’ve never understood skaters quitting to go to school. One can go to school at 30, 40, 50, heck I know a lady who got a PhD in her 70s. There’s only so much time one can be a competitive skater.
He’s so young. Oh well. Best of luck to him. I’m sure he will make an excellent attorney.
Well yeah...but the older you are the less likely you are to get a job, especially with no experience. And in the USA especially you have to pay a LOT to go University, so one probably wants to get an early start.

Although, I am sad to see him go :( he was a fun skater to watch.

Good luck to him at University though!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
True, but you don’t get the same social experience when you’re one of the older students in the class vs being with your peers— speaking as someone who’s gone back to school later after dropping out at age eighteen. (And I’m not that much older! But the gap gets wider all the time) I completely understand wanting to try and be with your age group while that option is still available.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

who said silly people can't be of any help? :LOL: you're welcome