2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I am very aware of all that, having had followed Mozalev since he set his blade on ice in 2019 JGP because I loved his SP so much and through his troubled last season. Heck, by now even my cat might be vaguely aware of that. but it’s still not Samsonov’s fault. They both are athletically gifted young men. Whichever official didn’t take notice in September when Samsonov was conspicuous by his absence at the test skates and didn’t question his ability to compete in a few weeks, wasn’t doing their job, or saw no compelling reason to WD early enough for the spot to be filled.
It's not Danya himself who is the issue by any means, he is not in charge of spots and visas. But he's Eteri's only senior-eligible man and that makes all the difference. Maybe one day Eteri's male skaters will stop getting perks for her success in women's skating, and RusFed get it through their heads that boys jumping quads in novices doesn't mean anything, but not yet it seems. Pushing juniors too hard isn't even a figure skating problem, it's a general problem in Russian sport, and in the great majority of cases it's counterproductive. And it's not like a skater with Osgood-Schlatter can't come back successfully without anyone holding a place open for him, Kondratiuk did it just fine.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Okay, I just realized that Denis Ten MC is in Nur-Sultan, not Almaty. My bad. So, I will be cheering for Mozalev, Gumennik and Kondratyuk in Nur-Sultan. Which used to be Astana. Live and learn ❤️🙌

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
On a related note, Mozalev has withdrawn from the Panin Memorial (second competition in a row). Something isn't going right with him this season which is worrying. Of course his jump height was always a bit marginal so if he isn't in shape for whatever reason rotating quads becomes a big issue.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
On a related note, Mozalev has withdrawn from the Panin Memorial. Something isn't going right with him this season which is worrying. Of course his jump height was always a bit marginal so if he isn't in shape for whatever reason rotating quads becomes a big issue.
Or he somehow got a visa and will be on a plane to the US while others skate at PM. A girl can hope. :pray:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Some positive news, here comes the podium photo of the 2nd CoR stage:
Andrei Anisimov (🥇), Artem Lezheev (🥈), and Mikhail Polianski (🥉)

1634056336313.png

And whatever Viktoria is trying to tell us with her sweater, she has my full support! :wink:

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Is Tema related to Artem Lezheev?
Lol, Tema is Artem Lezheev. Tema is the Russian diminutive of Artem. He is Tema Lezheev on instagram, I guess that's why I'm so used to the short form of his name. But you are absolutely right, there should be his proper name in the podium post. I'll fix it right away.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
good job by the guys at the 2nd stage of CoR!

It occurred to me that so far I wasn’t very lucky with catching team Russian Men in my attempts to go to live competitions. In Skate Canada 2019, Kolyada was seeded and WD, Montreal with Aliev/Danielian was canceled and now with Skate America, it’s only one entry remaining so far. I should probably try European Championship once travelling is okay, since it is more than likely to have 3 entries.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
good job by the guys at the 2nd stage of CoR!

It occurred to me that so far I wasn’t very lucky with catching team Russian Men in my attempts to go to live competitions. In Skate Canada 2019, Kolyada was seeded and WD, Montreal with Aliev/Danielian was canceled and now with Skate America, it’s only one entry remaining so far. I should probably try European Championship once travelling is okay, since it is more than likely to have 3 entries.
With your track record, I hope you aren't planning to attend the Olympics. The Russian lads fought very hard for the three spots, you know. :wink:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
With your track record, I hope you aren't planning to attend the Olympics. The Russian lads fought very hard for the three spots, you know. :wink:
Fortunately, only those living on the mainland China are allowed to the Olympics… wait, is this why?! 🤣 Actually, now that I think of it, I debated with myself for a while what to pick, Tallinn or Montreal in 2020, and decided on Montreal. The results speak for themselves, obviously.

Artemisa

Final Flight
well... I still don't know why the russfed doesn't have one skater or two in stand by with visa and everything for this situations

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
well... I still don't know why the russfed doesn't have one skater or two in stand by with visa and everything for this situations
Because the GP entries don't work this way. The spots are first filled accoring to world rankings and the rest is filled based on the invitations from the organizing skating union. So nowhere is written that if a skater from one country has to withdraw, other skater from that country will receive the invitation. It's not like substitudes at JGP.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It appears that 2022 in Tallinn would be the best time ever to go to Europeans if travel and spectators are allowed. Stay another week and watch 4CC as well. A once in a lifetime chance.
I was actually thinking about it, but the travel this winter is not looking promising 😅

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Samsonov waited precisely till he got a US visa to withdraw when it was obvious he'd been having health problems (in the last 1.5 years he competed what, once? The sensible thing would have been to keep him in juniors). Now Mozalev who is has 25th SB has no visa.
They might have been hoping he could skate through it or he had a sudden flare up. (I mean he did go an get a visa - maybe they were hopeful.) Regardless, even if he were to withdraw earlier, Mozalev would not necessarily be next in line.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Andrei was found in Minsk:
I've found Andrei!

br_5t-PIEX4.jpg
There will be a live stream!

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Awesome, though if he is having troubles, I wonder if it’s not better for him to take time to recover… but maybe they are under obligation to compete ain’t a certain number of competitions per season?

I hope he does well. I miss him doing well ❤️🙏🙌
There is no obligation to compete in a particular number of competitions. But not competing in an Olympic season without being RusFed's darling may not be good for one's prospects (although the Fed likes him well enough unlike Gumennik). Although competing the way Andrei did in St. Peterburg is obviously worse so it's yet to be seen whether it's a good idea.