2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
With new season threads popping up I thought I'd open a new thread for our skaters too. As a recap, here are the National Teams, main and reserve:

Main Team
Ladies - Kim Yelim, Yun Ahsun*, You Young, Lee Haein, Wi Seoyoung, Lim Eunsoo, Kim Chaeyeon*, Kim Hanul
Men - Cha Junhwan, Lee Sihyeong, Cha Younghyun, Kyeong Jaeseok

Reserve Team
Ladies - Ji Seoyeon, Kim Minchae, Park Yeonjeong, Lee Siwon, Moon Boin, Shin Jia*(J), Kang Jooha*, Kang Eunsoo, Song Siwoo*(J)
Men - Lee Jaekeun*, Jeong Deokhoon, Kim Hangil

*not age eligible for seniors

And of course, Min/Eaton as our only senior Ice Dance team are also on the national team. Sungmin (from Jeon/Choi) is still looking for a partner and I don't know whether Lee Namu/Kim Jinny are still together and if so ready for international competition or not, so until there is news Min/Eaton remain our sole ID team, practically speaking.

Jia and Siwoo are marked (J) for domestic junior as of now, but if they pass the level test for their 7th level* on June 5th they'll be able to compete at JGP selections. Speaking of the level test, both my tesoro Younghyun and Jaeseok are aiming for their 8th level, which requires a 3A. Younghyun has landed underrotated/downgraded ones in competitions and seemingly rotated ones in practice, Jaeseok landed two rotated ones at the National Figure Skating Competition (one in combination). Will keep you posted.

*needs two out of 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz to get, is required for national level senior competitions and international junior competitions assignments

There are also a few others to keep an eye out for, but I'll post something more organized after the first level test of the year (and also after my real life stops interfering with figure skating).

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Update: it seems Sungmin found a partner, no official info yet and I haven't been able to identify his new partner just by the photo his mom posted on twitter. I really hope this partnership lasts as I'd love to see a Korean ID team on the junior circuit again

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The full results of the level placement test hasn't been uploaded yet, but it has been confirmed that Jia and Siwoo got their 7th levels, qualifying themselves for JGP selections. Han Heesue, Nats junior bronze medalist, also got her 7th level so she's also eligible now. Also confirmed: Jaeseok got his 8th level, which means that his 3As were not a fluke. I'm still waiting for news on my tesoro.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
A bit late on the news, but (sigh) my tesoro didn't get his 8th level this time, Jooha got her 8th level, and 10-year-old Min Jian got herself her 7th level so she'll be competing in domestic seniors in the upcoming season.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
According to the entries list for the Quebec Summer Championships, junior dancers Hannah Lim and Ye Quan are representing the Korean Skating Union.
Hannah and Ye previously skated for Canada and placed 5th at 2020 Canadian Nationals.
I saw Hannah and Ye's 'Cats' program on the I.AM livestream, and really loved it! Hopefully, they'll be able to get some international exposure next season on the JGP.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The championnats lists sometimes have errors in who's representing what, but I could see it. Certainly, much easier road to assignments.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
JGP selections will be held July 29-30th with no audience, they say there will be a stream (probably on the KSU Youtube channel). Detailed schedule's not up yet, will post when it's up
As social distancing measures have become more strict due to the recent drastic upsurge in covid cases, if the measures aren't loosened enough in time JGP selections will be held as a virtual competition. Further notice to be posted when the government decides social distancing measure guidelines for that week

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So although KSU hasn't exactly decided how to hold JGP selections while following level 4 social distancing guidelines :palmf: (case numbers are going up so I'm not expecting measures to be loosened, meanwhile the guidelines for next week will be announced on the 26th, 3 days before the competition :bang:) the entries are up:

Ice Dance: Lim Haena(a.k.a. Hannah Lim)/Ye Quan
Men: Kim Hangil, Jeong Deokhoon, Cha Younghyun, Lee Jaekeun, Kim Hyungyeom
Women: Jeon Subeen, Kim Chaeyeon, Song Siwoo, Han Heesue, Moon Boin, Yun Ahsun, Kang Eunsoo, Shin Jia, Ji Seoyeon, Lee Siwon, Hwang Chaebin, Kim Minchae, Kim Seoyoung(4/25), Jung Yean

Apparently Sungmin and his new partner aren't ready for JGP selections yet, so Lim/Quan automatically get the ID spots. With the men my tesoro Younghyun should get two tickets while the rest remains to be seen, with the women I see Ahsun leading the way with Chaeyeon, Minchae, Seoyeon, and quite possibly Jia among the top. Still, thanks to Haein's and my beloved Seoyoung's body of work in their final junior season half of the girls are going to get two tickets, the actual competition just needs to happen (frustrated sigh)

Last edited:

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Is the Korean fed not sending anyone to the 1st JGP, since the 1st stage entries must had been made via the ISU Online Registration System by Friday, July 16?

frida80

Record Breaker
Is the Korean fed not sending anyone to the 1st JGP, since the 1st stage entries must had been made via the ISU Online Registration System by Friday, July 16?

They do this every year. They have place holders in the system which will be filled after the qualifier.

This is going to be a tricky year for the athletes. Returning just to quarantine and have to leave immediately after for the next JGP. I hope they have this well planned so the skaters can still be safe and get some practice in between.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
They do this every year. They have place holders in the system which will be filled after the qualifier.

This is going to be a tricky year for the athletes. Returning just to quarantine and have to leave immediately after for the next JGP. I hope they have this well planned so the skaters can still be safe and get some practice in between.
KSU really want them to compete in a national comp 3 days before the JGP in another country no less, talk about self sabotage once more.

I would assume they are not sending the same skaters to back to back JPG events are they? They have enough slots and skaters that they could even avoid sending the 1st JGP skaters to the 3rd JGP stage. If they plan it and distribute the slots correctly they can easily allow the skaters to quaranteen and to get anough ice time before they go to another JGP.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
So although KSU hasn't exactly decided how to hold JGP selections while following level 4 social distancing guidelines :palmf: (case numbers are going up so I'm not expecting measures to be loosened, meanwhile the guidelines for next week will be announced on the 26th, 3 days before the competition :bang:) the entries are up:

Women: Jeon Subeen, Kim Chaeyeon, Song Siwoo, Han Heesue, Moon Boin, Yun Ahsun, Kang Eunsoo, Shin Jia, Ji Seoyeon, Lee Siwon, Hwang Chaebin, Kim Minchae, Kim Seoyoung(4/25), Jung Yean
Where's Yeonjeong Park? :scratch2: