2021 Skate America: Women's Free Skate | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Women's Free Skate

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
No one in these field is even close to her elegance and musicality. At her best she's better than Shcherbakova , Kostornaia and Valieva for me. Never mind Sasha or judges favorite God knows why Tuktamysheva. So comparing her to some run of the mill American competitor does not sit well with me.
Satoko would argue with that first statement. Also remember PCS are more than just elegance or musicality..

eterialskating

On the Ice
Satoko would argue with that first statement. Also remember PCS are more than just elegance or musicality..
Satoko is very musical and has top notch interpretation unfortunately she leaves a small impact on me and her jumping is absolutely horrible to watch. She is a level 9 skater but her PCS are held down by her poor tech. This is why you see Sakamoto a skater who has good tech skills and who most of the time looks just like a speed skater around the rink get better PCS than her. And despite a lot of people claiming she's some sort of PCS queen, she is no better than Sasha performance wise. Although I do think they are quite capable of near 70 scores like today.

readernick

Medalist
Basically, the technical panel did their jobs here. Although, they were still a bit lax on URs. My two favorite artistic skaters here Satoko and Ksenia both definitely had uncalled URs. I imagine that was just the technical panel compensating for their PCS underscoring. Satoko is the only skater here who should get 9s. ( Except Kaori in SS who may be as fast as a speed skate , but gets that speed through great knees as a figure skater should not through her lower back the technique preferred by most of the top skaters ). But, both Satoko and Ksenia should have had more UR calls so the ending scores were right, although the way they got to those scores wasn't.

Sasha's PCS was a bit ridiculous as usual. But, I am impressed she managed to do this while injured. Good job, Sasha! The program doesn't work for me and I'd a huge step down from the SP but the fight was impressive and she deserved the win and would have won even with correct PCS.

I'm happy Young was much better here than her previous competitions. Her program isn't as empty as Sasha's but she certainly doesn't have a lot of transitions. She showed more musicality than Sasha but overall I think she was also overscored in PCS. She doesn't have the same wonderful SS that many other Korean skaters have, but her jumps have pop.

Daria is a difficult one for me to judge. Right now, she is probably the most "artistic" skater at the Eteri camp but I hate her program choices so much that I can't fully appreciate her. She does have better SS and far more transitions than either You or Trusova so while she was overscored in PCS compared to Ksenia/ Satoko in comparison to others on the podium her PCS was fine.

All in all, I enjoyed watching the competition.

keasus

On the Ice
Her PCS sometimes was crazy tho. Love Sasha but the scores on her chreographic sequence, which is just thrown in there because she "had to" was a joke.
I am having recurring nightmares that consist of watching Trusova's long program on an endless loop. I remember back in the 70s when Trixie Schuba of Austria, who was brilliant at compulsory figures, was heavily criticized for her weak free skating, but she won under the rules in place at the time. I tell myself that it's the same for Trusova, but watching her skate is torture for me.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What are you complaining about lots of women get 150+ without even landing a quad. She gets very good GOE's on her jumps as well as the best jumper in the ladies tour. So no I don't understand why anyone is trying to make scandal out of this.
I am not trying to make a scandal. Jumps aren't the only things part of the Technical side. Skate America has drawn lots of complaints this year, edges uncalled, Amber's SP triple toe, UR uncalled, overscored and unfair PCS, etc. I am not doubting that Sasha is good jumper. She is a great jumper. But so are other skaters. Without the quad, she would probably not reach 150. I had also mentioned in a post, "Taking a look at the judges scores and her technical content, it wasn't scored extremely high. I think it was more of a reaction I had seeing an 85 with only 1 quad."

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
How I love it when figure skaters arrange two performances on the ice - first during their basic program, and then when the music is over. The audience gets double pleasure! Note, the athletes, of course, are well aware of the shortcomings of their technique ("here on this and this jumps I had UR, I felt how I rotate the blade and make a comma", "Oh, the exits from the jumps were unreliable all the time, with small drifts"). But they bravely crush bad feelings in themselves and begin their second performance. What a courage and love for the profession and the audience!

viennaskater

Medalist
Trusova is just a jumping machine, processed so that the Russians can virtually guarantee getting Olympic gold. What will happen to her after that? Think of the last two gold winners ...

Also, the music for her LP was AWFUL!

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Trusova is just a jumping machine, processed so that the Russians can virtually guarantee getting Olympic gold. What will happen to her after that? Think of the last two gold winners ...

Sorry for the laughing smiley face - it's just a small palette of emoticons here. I wanted to put a smiley face of a gentle, friendly smile :) I am so happy when foreign fans are concerned about the fate of our athlete.

But all your worries are a little exaggerated. The previous two gold winners are doing well - they are actively building their careers, are loved and respected by Russians. Sports (true sport I mean, according to Coubertin's principles) and especially such sports as figure skating, are a matter for the young people - they achieve results here and then go into a real life using a sports career as a springboard. At least, in our country, the state perceives big sports as part of working with young people. So, don't worry about Sotnikova and Zagitova. But thank you for your concern :) :ghug:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Satoko is very musical and has top notch interpretation unfortunately she leaves a small impact on me and her jumping is absolutely horrible to watch. She is a level 9 skater but her PCS are held down by her poor tech. This is why you see Sakamoto a skater who has good tech skills and who most of the time looks just like a speed skater around the rink get better PCS than her. And despite a lot of people claiming she's some sort of PCS queen, she is no better than Sasha performance wise. Although I do think they are quite capable of near 70 scores like today.
I disagree on the "Kaori is at the same level than Sasha" but i agree for the rest.
As much as Satoko is unable to jump like Kaori, Kaori is unable to pull-of Satoko's choreos, at least she doesn't try to. Let's not even talk about interpretation. There is moment in Satoko's free program that made me think that she was seeeing Jesus' comeback. Speed isn't all. Multidirectional skating with ease should be applauded too. Their scores should reflect that.
Even "artistic queen" Kostner wasn't doing intricate choreos with well spreaded technical elements as Satoko. It was more i jump then i perform while Satoko performs from the 1st to the last second.

I would be ok if Satoko without obvious errors and not too much URs was getting 35/65 TES but 37/75 PCS. And Kaori getting 40/75 TES but 34/70 PCS.

But judges like the formula speed + high jumps. It worked for Osmond, it works for Kaori and Young.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
Sorry for the laughing smiley face - it's just a small palette of emoticons here. I wanted to put a smiley face of a gentle, friendly smile :) I am so happy when foreign fans are concerned about the fate of our athlete.

But all your worries are a little exaggerated. The previous two gold winners are doing well - they are actively building their careers, are loved and respected by Russians. Sports (true sport I mean, according to Coubertin's principles) and especially such sports as figure skating, are a matter for the young people - they achieve results here and then go into a real life using a sports career as a springboard. At least, in our country, the state perceives big sports as part of working with young people. So, don't worry about Sotnikova and Zagitova. But thank you for your concern :) :ghug:
OK - I just don't think it's a good thing to force young girls into performing quads ad nauseum just to milk points. It takes its toll on the physique (possibly mental as well) and the overall impression of the programme is that it is all calculated. I get far more pleasure out of watching the Japanese and Korean ladies. Their programmes have more 'feeling' and artistry.

Remember that some young Russian skaters' careers were ended prematurely by skating-related health issues, not so long ago.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Trusova is just a jumping machine, processed so that the Russians can virtually guarantee getting Olympic gold.
I don't understand why people are so MEAN to skaters who's style they don't enjoy. Why do you have to get personal, Sasha is NOT a machine. She's charming and full of life and fire.

And I don't know how you missed it but as other people love to point out Sasha has never won an "important' senior competition - not Worlds, not Euros, not GPF and not Russian Nats. She is the LEAST likely to have a guaranteed gold out of all the Sambo 70 girls.

I don't like her SP music, but seriously if you think her music was hideous stay away from ice dance, now there was some awful choices.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
OK - I just don't think it's a good thing to force young girls into performing quads ad nauseum just to milk points. It takes its toll on the physique (possibly mental as well) and the overall impression of the programme is that it is all calculated.
No one is forcing anyone. On the contrary, the problem is to keep Sasha from performing a large number of quads. This is always very difficult and, apparently, creates a lot of stress within the coach-athlete interaction. Many (including me) rejoice at what happened in the hope that this will be an example to Sasha, that you can win with a small number of quads.
I get far more pleasure out of watching the Japanese and Korean ladies. Their programmes have more 'feeling' and artistry.
We are all free in our own preferences :) For example, Dasha and Kaori were the best for me here (although all of Kaori's jumps were weaker, more uncertain than usual, and her program could have been less empty). These are our private affairs :)

Remember that some young Russian skaters' careers were ended prematurely by skating-related health issues, not so long ago.
The careers of many athletes, young or not, end early due to health issues. It is not tied to personalities and nations. I'm sure you put the name of my nation in such a context by accident, and not because of a Russophobic attitude 🤝

viennaskater

Medalist
The careers of many athletes, young or not, end early due to health issues. It is not tied to personalities and nations. I'm sure you put the name of my nation in such a context by accident, and not because of a Russophobic attitude 🤝
Sorry no - I didn't mean it is confined to one nation. Of course it can, and has, happened to skaters from other countries. No offence intended. I was thinking of two examples from Russia when I wrote that.

meadow

Rinkside
I'm a big fan of Sasha, but the score was a little over the top. Especially the PCS marks were crazy, yesterday there was little interpretation if anything at all. I get she was the favorite, but she would've won even without that crazy gap between her and the others. I hope now she can rest and get better!
Tbh, I would have put Young You second since hers was probably the program I enjoyed watching the most, but I'm not complaining here.
Daria was a little unimpressive. I don't know, I usually like her a lot, but yesterday she didn't seem on to me. Maybe is the program, though, I hate the fact they keep giving her such bad choreographies.
Kaori was great! I always like her and this time wasn't an exception. I also liked Satoko e Kseniia a lot, I actually expected bigger scores for them. A little mention for Yuhana Yokoi; I don't follow Japanese skaters a lot, but I really enjoyed her free skate. It was a good way to start the competition!

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Sasha's PCS in the SP was really a bit much, I had her between Daria and Kseniia overall. But it looks like the jury preferred the power skaters (Sasha, Daria, Amber etc) over the expressive-artistic skaters like Kseniia, Sakoto, Katya in general.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OK - I just don't think it's a good thing to force young girls into performing quads ad nauseum just to milk points. It takes its toll on the physique (possibly mental as well) and the overall impression of the programme is that it is all calculated. I get far more pleasure out of watching the Japanese and Korean ladies. Their programmes have more 'feeling' and artistry.

why don't we avoid jumps then? tara lipinski retired from hip problems due to triples

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
why don't we avoid jumps then? tara lipinski retired from hip problems due to triples
If everything in high performance sport would be banned because of risk of injury then there would be no more high performance sport. You can injure yourself in something as simple as recreational jogging if you do it wrong or have a predisposition.

viennaskater

Medalist
Of course there should be jumps, but I am happy seeing nicely-performed double and triple jumps with beautiful choreography and artistic impression than all this 'oh wow she can do four quads!!' business, as if it's the most important thing.

viennaskater

Medalist
I don't like her SP music, but seriously if you think her music was hideous stay away from ice dance, now there was some awful choices.
I cannot disagree with you there, regarding a few of them. However, there are other couples who were not in SA who have some great music choices, so it's not all bad.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But what is the point of having a separate components mark if it can be held down by poor tech? If Satoko is a level 9 skater, the judges should be giving her 9's. She certainly deserves the highest marks in P/E and I but the judges seem to be holding her back because she jumps small. Sakamoto, on the other hand, is a technical skater who is apparently being given a PCS based mainly on her skating skills.