2022 Winter Olympics: Free Dance | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Free Dance

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
with these olympics my schedule is all messed up... having dinner at midnight.... i dedicate my greek salad to Gabby whose last name is obviously Greek.
You know what's funny... there's a character in the Baby-Sitter's Club book called Gabby Papadakis.

I wonder if Gabby ever read them and was like "OMG!" :biggrin:

auser

Record Breaker
Oh Piper and Paul, that would make an absolutely gorgeous exhibition program. But for an Olympic year? I think it was a miscalculation.

They will always be my favorite team from this quad, but that was not their best. That botched lift! And Paul, that drum major costume looks like you wandered off from a Stonewall Parade.

But thank you thank you because you have brought me so much joy.
So I have harbored this secret theory that "Long and Winding Road" was meant to fondly bookend Paul Poirier's Olympic career that started with 2010 Olympic ice dance to Elinor Rigby with then partner Vanessa Crone. Like I said only in my imaginings... have found no indication in reality. ;)

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I am happy for P/C and H/D to finally get the medals they wanted. I am also happy that C/B had a beautiful memorable skate that so many will remember for a long time. I am happy S/K were able to skate well after so many injury problems earlier. My compliments to Nikita for evening out his efforts to match Viktoria and to her for improving so much to match him. I am also very happy for G/F and S/D for exceding expectations and doing their countries proud with beautiful emotional programs. I am also happy for H/B who skated as well as they did after so many injuries and earned dozens of new fans with their lovely skating. Here's to an even better skate at worlds. I am sad for the teams that had mishaps S/B, G/P, FB/S and K/S here's to redemption at worlds.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to P&C! I'm very happy for them! This isn't my favorite FD of theirs but it still was beautiful and well skated. Congrats to S&K and H&D for completing the podium. A lot of pressure on them coming in as the top three so kudos to them for holding it together as we some some nervy problems among the others (S&B, G&P and FB&S most noticeably). My heart is with C&B and I'm so proud of them - wish there were pewter medals here haha, am so glad they got the team medal (hopefully they will eventually have their medal ceremony!) I also loved S&D - probably skating more full out than anyone (of course they had less pressure than the top teams though). And G&F moving up to fifth - congrats to them! Also loved H&B's freedance, definitely a favorite of mine this year!
yes Pewter!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was great too, but the judges never liked it (nor, really, any of the "quirky" programs they did pre-2018). So no team trying to win a medal at these Olympics would have brought it back.
I also really liked the Bond program with the green dress.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No question PC were the best. It wasn't their best program. as in concept but it was so well skated. Really well skated and yay fot the Americans. sK really imprssed me with t heir injuries and lack of prep wow. Yay for the Italians. But what is it about Canada and 7th. WEapo and now GP both possible gold medal teams. HOnestly the French were amazing. THe music and concept ok sos but this is the olympics o not masterpiece programs but masterpiece skats tech wise bravo Nathan, PC, Yuma and CB, HD. I also giv credit to SK. I think we all know that Nikita's back is a real issue. There were reports of him in pain but they pulled it together - not nough really th challenge PC (well they didn't have the programs to do that anyways but still good for them. It would be nice if HD retired now and let CB get on the podium at worlds since PC are likely to go on to worlds in France. With no competition and with Russia really vulnerable (SK with his injury. INjury is a fact of life but skaters like Hanyu and sK amazd me. Th athelt heart.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am obviously disappointed for the Canadian teams..

Piper and Paul had one costly mistake.. about 4 points on that lift... and some PCS most likely...
FBS : their few bobbles cost them even more : they have the lowest Base Value of the 20 teams tonight... that they didn't go any lower in the ranking is due to the very good overall quality of the other elements and their strong skating.. They will do better at worlds.

Lala : they were a bit tight though they skated super well... May the judges reward them... any pcs score below 8 is not fair ...

Happy Smart Diaz were rewarded, same for the Italians.

I have already praised the USA and French teams. I really love the programs of PC this time around ( I didn't 4 years ago) and I am happy they lived up to the expectations.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
I was hoping C/B could climb onto the podium for a FRA - USA - USA finish but this was more realistic, sadly. She also had a wobble on the twizzles. However, this was a nice outing and I hope they are satisfied. Chock is a true gem and Evans is a worthy partner.

As for P/C, I prefer their Moonlight Sonata but this FD also had very nice choreographic elements and nice touches. I agree the music feels generic, though. Nonetheless, a deserved win for P/C. (And with that I'm gone listening to their RD music for the foreseeable future.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
P/C's music is by Gabriel Fauré, a fabulous, underrated composer. I play a lot of his music. It's refined, complex yet sounding understated. It has long and beautiful sweeping phrases. I thought it suited P/C perfectly.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree, this was SO much more boring than during Virtue/Moir and Davis/White era…
Agreed. or even the 1990's (maybe Bukin should look at dad's drama) As good as PC were this was not their best program as a concept r genre. The skating wonderful. I am really disappointed this olympics some great tech work ie pc, Nathan, Yuma and the Americans in dance but an alien for an Oly medal competitive program???? Even PC's costumes had a VM look in the SD and the free dance I have no idea why Guillaume was wearing red. Gabby looked stunning and she kept her assets covered tis time but I am not sure what their costumes were trying to do in respect to the program - thy didn't even go together. I feel for Chock and Bates s close but they will have an Olympic gold still or silver pending Valieva. Nice skate by the Italians to come in fifth. I feel for them, Piper and Paul, SB and CB - all medal worthy teams. Looks like Canada just lost three spots come worlds. Piper and Paul are going to have to move up on that podium. SK is the only team I see not showing up to worlds. But let everyone celebrate. Looks like Canada is not winning a medal in skating unless Valieva is dq'd