2022 Winter Olympics: Rhythm Dance | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Rhythm Dance

discodisco

On the Ice
I think the theme was musicals but the pattern was Finnstep (an ice dance version of quickstep based on an OD by Rahkamo and Kokko, who are long-retired Finnish ice dancers).

It was like last year!
Oops. I don't typically pay too much to RD or ice dance... my bad! I do remember Rahkamo and Kokko though.

brigit66

On the Ice
After 2017-18, record scores were archived, hence 120.46 was indeed a WR back then, in the current +5/-5 system. That's why I referred to it as "due to the clean slate" as it was not indicative of their prowess, they simply skated early in the CS circuit. I didn't mix up anythin

Ok, but I didnt mean Wr like that.
Anyway, Pc going to olympic games had the highest short and free program score. 14 months has passed since Vm won free program(GPF 2016) . They were favourite to win.Their first 3 elements got near the maximum goe...
This year is little different.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Ok, but I didnt mean Wr like that.
Anyway, Pc going to olympic games had the highest short and free program score. 14 months has passed since Vm won free program(GPF 2016) . They were favourite to win.Their first 3 elements got near the maximum goe...
This year is little different.
No. V/M had the SD record before PyeongChang (from 2017 Skate Canada), P/C had the FD and combined (from 2018 Euros).

This year is different because S/K have way less edge over P/C as the French are the record holders in every segment. That's what I've been trying to prove here.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
They're just waiting their turn. I would not necessarily say they are a "distant third." At US Nationals 2021 they outskated C/B who had an obvious twizzle error in the FD. They should have at least gotten 2nd. What's frustrating is that the places are basically predetermined regardless of how the skate goes. (I'm not the only one who said they should have gotten 2nd, heck, the Flutzes and Waxels ladies said they should actually have won the whole thing). At this past Nationals they were a pretty distant third but this time it was they who had the obvious twizzle error.
Yeah I should have been clearer. What I meant to say was that their skating reflects the fact that indeed they should not be a distant third at this point, but looking at their scores and results both nationally and internationally one would not know that. I too find it frustrating and a pity, and honestly it is very frustrating that these predetermined orders do still exist in ice dance to the degree that they do.

Reactions: xox

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oops. I don't typically pay too much to RD or ice dance... my bad! I do remember Rahkamo and Kokko though.
Not a problem. It's very confusing. Like for this year, the pattern is midnight blues, the rhythm is blues, and the theme i street dance. How random is that (the blues/street dance part)?

It's interesting that the skaters who inspire pattern dances are not always "top skaters", but are the "quirky ones". Two current competitors who are having their dances converted to pattern dances are Gilles/Poirier and Kaliszek/Spodyriev,

discodisco

On the Ice
Not a problem. It's very confusing. Like for this year, the pattern is midnight blues, the rhythm is blues, and the theme i street dance. How random is that (the blues/street dance part)?

It's interesting that the skaters who inspire pattern dances are not always "top skaters", but are the "quirky ones". Two current competitors who are having their dances converted to pattern dances are Gilles/Poirier and Kaliszek/Spodyriev,

I agree. Totally random mix. When I think of blues I think of sultry and steamy, or at least a bit dark and gruff. I think that's where lyrics let us down a bit...

re: the new patterns - that's really interesting. I'd love to know how all that comes to pass.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Yeah, I like them. A little hiccup on the….death spiral thingie.

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone able to find RD or FD video with commentary. I am looking for Olly & Belinda if possible since I can't find Tanith on USA network

Cilla70

On the Ice
I think that despite the result being not what they wanted, 2018 is the best thing that could've happened to them. They've pushed since then and are better than they were then.
I agree even though I think P/C would have won if the costume issue had not happened. Would have been close. I like V/M but they would have had to change their style of programs this Olympic quad. The styles are so diverse among the dance teams, not just the normal classical, romantic, flowing themes.

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To see what the Midnight Blues is supposed to look like see 2004 Worlds.
I have chosen skates by coaches and commentators as well as the leaders.

The entire event in video can be found here

Last edited: