Country
Norway
🇩🇪 Germany

Men
: Nikita Starostin
Women: Nicole Schott
Dance: Jennifer Janse van Rensburg/Benjamin Steffan
Pairs: Minerva Hase/Nolan Seegert

https://eislauf-union.de/media1/news/786-deu-team-für-eiskunstlauf-weltmeisterschaften-2022-in-montpellier-nominiert
Sad for Paul, but happy for Nikita that he will finally get a chance to represent Germany. After this season he deserves the spot. I really hope though this isn´t the last we have seen from Paul, I don´t want his career to end like this :(

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
It doesn´t come us a surprise really. Everybody should be prepared now that there will be Worlds without Russian athletes. If Worlds will still happen. Given the situation, if they were allowed to compete they would have major difficulties even getting out of Russia and fly to France with the airspace closed for Russian flights almost over whole Europe. The right thing to do is ban all Russian athletes as long as the war goes on. After IOCs statement today it will happen for almost every sport discipline I guess.
Given their previous statement on future events continuing, I think the ISU would consider cancelling worlds.

Country
Norway
Given their previous statement on future events continuing, I think the ISU would consider cancelling worlds.
I would say that it could perhaps change the situation from not cancelling to go trough with it because the ban of athletes doesn´t come from ISU themselves, but since IOC put out a statement today that they the athletes should be banned from competing over all disciplines. The last statement I read talked about cancelling if the ISU members are faced with unsatisfactory situation, under that I understand situations where members are facing difficulties with traveling, paperwork because of vaccine/or need for quarantine, etc. The situation completely change if they are actually banned from competing and it wasn´t ISUs decision. This is really ISUs chance to get away with still hosting Worlds without RusFed could say something or cut money, because the same happens in all sports disciplines. At this point, I would be very disappointed if they actually cancel because the Russian athletes are banned from the competition, it would really be a slap in the face to all the other ISU members and show that Russia indirectly controls ISU.

It´s something completely different though, if they choose to cancel because of the situation in Europe now, or out of respect for Ukraine skating Fed. But they better not cancel because of Russia.

slider11

Medalist
I wonder if Nathan Chen will take a well-deserved step-away and let Vincent, Illia and Jason do what they can to secure spots for the US next year? I hope Kirsten M-T/Mike M choose to skate-they need to leave the ice with a strong performance. Same with Piper and Paul. No mention of the Chinese. I am thinking that Sui and Han are still basking in their victory and choose to not compete.

Country
Norway
I wonder if Nathan Chen will take a well-deserved step-away and let Vincent, Illia and Jason do what they can to secure spots for the US next year? I hope Kirsten M-T/Mike M choose to skate-they need to leave the ice with a strong performance. Same with Piper and Paul. No mention of the Chinese. I am thinking that Sui and Han are still basking in their victory and choose to not compete.
I guess we will find out tomorrow, as the deadline is today. The entries might be postponed though, if they have to sort out the situation with the Russian athletes first. It would not look good if they release the entries tomorrow and Russian athletes are still on them, if they eventually will be banned.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
My heart goes out to both the Ukrainian and the Russian athletes who all worked their whole lives to achieve their sporting goals and might not get their chance now. None of them deserve this and none of them are responsible for any of this and in a better world everyone would compete together in three weeks. But sadly figure skating does not exist in a vacuum so it has to be this way.

That said, what will happen to the Russian quotas if they are banned from competing? Will they be able to retain them for next season, when hopefully this all will seem like a bad dream?

Fanof

On the Ice
I guess we will find out tomorrow, as the deadline is today. The entries might be postponed though, if they have to sort out the situation with the Russian athletes first. It would not look good if they release the entries tomorrow and Russian athletes are still on them, if they eventually will be banned.
Has RusFed announced who is on the team?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My heart goes out to both the Ukrainian and the Russian athletes who all worked their whole lives to achieve their sporting goals and might not get their chance now. None of them deserve this and none of them are responsible for any of this and in a better world everyone would compete together in three weeks. But sadly figure skating does not exist in a vacuum so it has to be this way.

That said, what will happen to the Russian quotas if they are banned from competing? Will they be able to retain them for next season, when hopefully this all will seem like a bad dream?
I agree.

pearly

Record Breaker
It doesn´t come us a surprise really. Everybody should be prepared now that there will be Worlds without Russian athletes. If Worlds will still happen. Given the situation, if they were allowed to compete they would have major difficulties even getting out of Russia and fly to France with the airspace closed for Russian flights almost over whole Europe. The right thing to do is ban all Russian athletes as long as the war goes on. After IOCs statement today it will happen for almost every sport discipline I guess.
I know it's the least of our issues right now, but some countries still allow flights from Russia so they could travel with a layover.

As for Worlds without Russians, I cannot help but remember GP Japan where, without Russian women (after poor Daria sustained that horrible injury), the scoring was all of a sudden normal and the competition much more interesting to watch.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Would a ban at Worlds also extend to athletes with Russian/Belarussian citizenship but representing other countries?
This whole business is so sad, how could it ever come so far? 😭

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Well said. I am especially sad for the juniors in this respect. They're just teens. That said I do want both WC and JWC to go ahead if it's possible to hold them safely, even if they were without Russian athletes. Skaters have already suffered enough because of the pandemic.

My guess is the ISU will freeze the quotas. We'll see.

pearly

Record Breaker
Russia and Belarus are out.

Following the IOC recommendation, in order to protect the integrity of ice skating competitions and for the safety of all the participants of international ice skating competitions, the ISU Council based on Article 17.i.q)i) of the ISU Constitution, agreed that with immediate effect and until further notice, no Skaters belonging to the ISU Members in Russia (Russian Skating Union and the Figure Skating Federation of Russia) and Belarus (Skating Union of Belarus) shall be invited or allowed to participate in International ice skating Competitions including ISU Championships and other ISU Events. The same applies to Officials listed in the respective ISU Communications and/or Regulations under Russia and Belarus.

surimi

Record Breaker
Does that mean that skaters who represent other countries like Gubanova, will be able to go?

pearly

Record Breaker
Does that mean that skaters who represent other countries like Gubanova, will be able to go?
I believe so. The wording definitely allows that.

(I mean even if they have dual citizenship, I wouldn't see it as an issue at all.)

Damn, now I really want to go to Worlds but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable traveling even within Europe right now.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
That´s how I read it.

I wonder about Morisi though, would he go without his coaching team, like would they really leave the other skaters at home and go? And is he based and training in Moscow? He might have difficulties getting there.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you both for clarifiying! Yeah, it looks like skaters who train in Russia but skate for other countries, will have to arrive without their coaches, and rely on online coaching for the time being. It will be difficult, but it can be done, as the pandemic showed. 🤞

pearly

Record Breaker
That´s how I read it.

I wonder about Morisi though, would he go without his coaching team, like would they really leave the other skaters at home and go? And is he based and training in Moscow? He might have difficulties getting there.
Well... this does not ban coaches. Skaters representing countries and officials means no competitors or judges, referees etc. If France allows Russian citizens to enter the country and, for example, Morisi and one of his Russian coaches find a route to fly, I think they would actually be able to go. The ISU did not specifically state it would not accredit anyone Russian in any capacity. The Communication they mention is the one listing judges and technical panel officials.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder how difficult it would be though for an athlete/coach training in Russia to find a way to get to worlds (like Morisi since he's been mentioned). Would they want to submit themselves through this?