2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What's going on with Marin? I have liked her artistry for years, but her jumps seem to be going downhill. Can she still make it to Nationals?
She made it to Sectionals just now… placing 12th in Tokyo Regionals.

I don’t think she has the jumping arsenal to qualify for Nationals this year. She just has 3S and 3T and even with those jumps, she is inconsistent.

• Sad
Reactions: ana

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Don't know what it's going on with Marin but compared with other skaters I don't see her taking seriously the training, maybe Hamada was rigth about her plus her technique it's not stable

• Sad
Reactions: ana

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've heard that this will be Marin's last season. Rather than complain about her, why not savor the time she has left? I am hoping she can make it to Nationals one more time!

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Making it to Sectionals was easier...but from Sectionals to Nationals, it will be challenging. There will be only 8 spots available for Sr. women to advance to Nationals from Eastern Sectionals. Among these 8 spots, 3 for Rinka, Wakaba, and Rion are 'reserved', as they got exemptions from their GP assignments. So Marin needs to make it to top 5 at Eastern Sectionals to advance to Nationals.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Making it to Sectionals was easier...but from Sectionals to Nationals, it will be challenging. There will be only 8 spots available for Sr. women to advance to Nationals from Eastern Sectionals. Among these 8 spots, 3 for Rinka, Wakaba, and Rion are 'reserved', as they got exemptions from their GP assignments. So Marin needs to make it to top 5 at Eastern Sectionals to advance to Nationals.
I agree. So, enjoy her skate at Sectionals. It will most likely be her last competition 🥹

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
What are her programs this season? If this it's really her last season I seriously hope she doesn't come back again with seven nation army for her short, already overused

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I've heard that this will be Marin's last season. Rather than complain about her, why not savor the time she has left? I am hoping she can make it to Nationals one more time!
I just don't know what happened to Marin to end her carrer like this, but this is just sad, she had great potential, she should have considered turn to ice dance like Azusa

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
What are her programs this season? If this it's really her last season I seriously hope she doesn't come back again with seven nation army for her short, already overused
SP: Faded by Alan Walker, choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne
FS: Part of your World (from the Little Mermaid Soundtrack), choreo by Kenji Miyamoto

I just don't know what happened to Marin to end her carrer like this, but this is just sad, she had great potential, she should have considered turn to ice dance like Azusa
Marin did try out ice dance, in fact with the very same Shingo Nishiyama, who Azusa is now skating with, but it didn't work out:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia

I don’t think she has the jumping arsenal to qualify for Nationals this year. She just has 3S and 3T and even with those jumps, she is inconsistent.

Don't know what it's going on with Marin but compared with other skaters I don't see her taking seriously the training, maybe Hamada was rigth about her plus her technique it's not stable

As far as I know Marin has been too busy with other projects like skating shows and TV shows (I think I heard she has a cooking show?)
I'm fine with it if that's what she wants to focus on and what makes her happy 😊

I did stumble on this recent interview from a couple of days ago: https://fs-gossips.com/marin-honda-...i-feel-that-way-more-than-when-i-was-younger/

It's interesting to hear how doing One Piece On Ice has given positive impacts on her.
She did mention that her ultimate goal is still participating in the Japanese Nationals, and she said “I’d like to aim for jumps that make the audience feel more at ease and are more in line with my 100% expression in both the technical and artistic aspects.”

I hope she can improve her jumps to at least make it to nationals. She didn't mention about this being her last season though... if so, I really hope she makes it to nationals AND to the free skate :pray:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
In case anyone hasn't seen the news from the GP Assignment thread, Rika has withdrawn from Skate Canada.

I'm honestly very glad she withdraw. I hope she finally, finally gives enough time for her foot to rest and heal the fracture for good.

And it's great to see that she still has her eyes set on the 2026 Olympics. I hope she can have a strong comeback like Yuma next season :pray::ghug:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Yay! Was hoping it would be Rino to replace Rika 👏
Me too. Rino is one of the most gifted of all the Japanese ladies. Sometimes JSF gets too absorbed by recent results and ignores superior talent. This is not a good long term strategy. Hopefully Rino is healthy this year.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
What's happening with the japanese ladies? :/ this isn't the level I was expecting for them

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
What's happening with the japanese ladies? :/ this isn't the level I was expecting for them
I was expecting it. A few pages back you were saying you predict four Japanese ladies for the GPF, and I remember thinking, “Heh, well he’s in for a rude awakening.” To think this way, you will have to underestimate certain competitors - Hendrickx, Levito, Kim Chaeyeon, and Kim Yelim are still competing. You will also have to overestimate the first-time seniors.

I was not expecting Yoshida or Chiba to podium at their GPs. Top 5 finishes seem to be about right. Watanabe has also been skating very poorly in domestic competition and, considering the ups and downs of her season last year, there’s no reason to place bets on her. The 3A is also MIA. Higuchi is returning from a break and will not be in full form. Kawabe is always a wild card. The only girls I expected to be podium-ready were Sakamoto and Sumiyoshi, based on her performances in domestic competition. We haven’t seen Mihara yet - she withdrew from a Challenger - but Matsuike was a pleasant surprise.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Ok relax, that was before we saw the first international competitions. They were doing much better at Japan in summer (Yoshida, Kawabe, Wakaba for example, and we didn't know Mihara was going to withdraw from her competitions), and my comment was based on what we saw last season with all those girls placing at top 10 in overall scores, nothing to taking seriously, but now it's clear they have been struggling. Of course I know the potential from the skaters of other nations, I never underestimate their work just was expecting more from the japanese. Now I hope they can improve as the season goes. It's just an opinion