2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't count Rika Kihira out yet if her foot is getting better.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
JSF documents about # of entries to sectionals/national, seed skaters, and exemptions (*in Japanese only)

Sources:
1. 2023-2024 domestic competitions - Quota (incl. seed skaters, preliminary)
2. 2023-24 domestic competitions - skater exemptions (incl. recommended skaters for NvA)** Aug 28th version

From (1) above, seeded skaters include-
Jr. women: Mao Shimada, Ami Nakai
Jr. men: None
Sr. women: Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Mao Shimada (not sure how Shimada's status at Jr. National in invitation to Sr. National will be counted...)
Sr. men: Shoma Uno, Koshiro Shimada, Kazuki Tomono
Pair: Riku Miura& Ryuichi Kihara

The following skaters are exempted to the required regional/sectional competitions (**the list may be updated later on, depending on future assignments):

Chubu Regional (B4) - Rena Uezono (JGP#5); Seigo Tauchi (JGP#3); Masaya Mishima
Kinki Reginal (B5) - Ayumi Shibayama (JGP#4); Haru Kakiuchi (JGP#4); Shunsuke Nakamura (JGP#6)

Eastern Sectional - Rinka Watanabe (GP-CAN/CoC); Wakaba Higuchi (GP-FRA); Rion Sumiyoshi (GP-FRA); Kao Miura (GP-CAN); Yuma Kagiyama (GP-FRA)
Western Sectional - Mone Chiba (GP-USA/FRA); Mana Kawabe (GP-USA); Hana Yoshida (GP-USA); Rika Kihira (GP-CAN)
Tatsuya Tsuboi (GP-USA); Sota Yamamoto (GP-CAN);Takeru Amine Kataise (GP-FRA)

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Rinka Watanabe is now represented by IMG Japan, joining fellow IMG clients Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Mai Mihara, Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara, Shun Sato and Koshiro Shimada.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Rinka Watanabe is now represented by IMG Japan, joining fellow IMG clients Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Mai Mihara, Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara, Shun Sato and Koshiro Shimada.

OT, but I'm not sure Koshiro is there as well? No pic of him on the client side either.

rabidline

Final Flight
OT, but I'm not sure Koshiro is there as well? No pic of him on the client side either.
They acknowledged him as a client at Japanese Nationals 2022 result post, you can see his photo when you click the post.

yesterday

Record Breaker
They acknowledged him as a client at Japanese Nationals 2022 result post, you can see his photo when you click the post.

ah okay, then the rest of info(page) is missing

brakes

On the Ice
:ot:

1:53 - "two steps to heaven"
2:27 - "a spin into the light"

Somehow the video feed brightened the ice, making her look like dancing on the clouds...
Never before and never after have I witnessed such breathtaking, transcendental beauty in junior figure skating.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Rika said she wants to prioritize fully healing her injury and training over competitions right now. Not sure on GP right now. Smart move. Like Wakaba showed last cycle, peaking at Nationals before the Olympics is the only goal that really matters here.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
I just read from Instagram (source: AnythingGOEs) that Kaoruko Wada has withdrawn from JGP Solidarity Cup 😭

Anyone happens to know why? She looked VERY solid in domestic comps. I hope it's not a major injury.....

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just read from Instagram (source: AnythingGOEs) that Kaoruko Wada has withdrawn from JGP Solidarity Cup 😭

Anyone happens to know why? She looked VERY solid in domestic comps. I hope it's not a major injury.....
No!!! Horrible news!! I was looking forward to seeing her. To me, she was the 4th best Junior skater from Japan behind Mao, Ami and Rena. I thought she would have a chance to nab a spot for Junior GP Finals. I’m so sad 😞

Does that mean Yurina gets this spot?

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker

I can't be sure but her withdrawl could just be JSF strategizing assignments
They're messing with the boys' assignments too

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I was also looking forward to Wada, but I don’t think her withdrawal is strategic, unless their switching competitors around. All the girls that did well on the JGP already have two assignments so Wada will only be replaced by someone who hasn’t competed yet on the JGP. And this person will also have only one assignment.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The JGPF is looking to be another Japan-Korea even split. If Uezono and Kwon go 1-2 in any order then the door’s shut. The results in Yerevan won’t matter unless…Shimada withdraws. The finalists will be Little Mao, Shin Jia, Nakai, Kim Yuseong, Uezono, and Kwon Minsol.

I don’t think either Uezono or Kwon will be off the podium next week, but the door will be open if Kwon gets a bronze. (Uezono just needs to be on the podium). With a second bronze, Kwon loses to Takagi in a tie breaker and Kushida or Lin-Gracey will have a chance to qualify with a Silver Medal and a 180+ score.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The JGPF is looking to be another Japan-Korea even split. If Uezono and Kwon go 1-2 in any order then the door’s shut. The results in Yerevan won’t matter unless…Shimada withdraws. The finalists will be Little Mao, Shin Jia, Nakai, Kim Yuseong, Uezono, and Kwon Minsol.

I don’t think either Uezono or Kwon will be off the podium next week, but the door will be open if Kwon gets a bronze. (Uezono just needs to be on the podium). With a second bronze, Kwon loses to Takagi in a tie breaker and Kushida or Lin-Gracey will have a chance to qualify with a Silver Medal and a 180+ score.
Perfect analysis of the current state of Junior Girls.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
What's going on with Marin? I have liked her artistry for years, but her jumps seem to be going downhill. Can she still make it to Nationals?

Reactions: ana