2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Though it occurs to me, we may be borrowing trouble. Every year in Australia, the classical music radio station run a 'Top 100' voted by the public on a given theme. And it's been going since 2001, which means that 'themes', at first easy and standard, are probably getting more and more hard to think up, so some recent years I look at the announcement and say "they are never going to make that theme work/get 100 pieces of music/narrow it down to 100 pieces of music!!!" and yet... somehow it works.

I know of course that unlike ABC Classic, the ISU can and do reuse themes for ice dance. But still, we shall see, they may be able to word it better than 'dance party!' (And I admit, I thought the 80s theme was a cracker, but I underestimated the athletes' and their teams' gift for utter blanking on the 80s. Surely they could have asked their parents or is it grandparents now? Oh god.)

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
LOL! Hey Buddy, I never installed a 737 door plug without putting in the locking bolts and then "forgetting" to do the inspection paperwork! Or designing the Boeing 787 so that the flight control computers had to be cold booted every 22 days or they would QUIT. Now THATS ludichris. Thankfully, no one was killed in these last two ludichris situations.....:pray: Hopefully, the injured heal quickly.
That's right. We need a posse to find Ludi and stop him before he does more ridiculous things!! :eek:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

gkelly

Record Breaker
The Original Dance from 2002 included Paso Doble of as a rhythm that the teams created their own steps for, but it did not include the standard ice dance Paso Doble pattern invented by Reginald J. Wilkie and Daphne B. Wallis in 1938.

It sounds like the upcoming rhythm dance will include that pattern, but teams can perform it to music with a somewhat different rhythm.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko said on the This Week in Skating podcast that while the ISU is looking to have a theme centered around music before the 2000s, the final theme will be decided during Worlds and the "dance party" idea is still a work in progress
Thank goodness that there is still a possibility they may come to their senses.

I am still hoping for the Yankee Polka, honestly.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes, Paso Doble was the required pattern in the 2015 Short Dance, to be skated to music with paso doble rhythm.

Here's a Golden Skate thread from that season that explains what was going on with that year's Short Dance in terms of using the Paso Doble pattern and paso doble rhythm:

If I understand the proposed rules for the potential future Rhythm Dance, the pattern will be required but the paso doble rhythm will not.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Even film music was a better idea than dance party. So I hope these rumors are all baseless and we'll end up with waltz. Or jive. Or disco fox. You know, something with a basic rhythm where you can actually compare execution and interpretation of a set musical theme? I though that was the point of the "rhythm dance"?
I would love film music, but I would narrow it further to a composer....and there are some really good ones for film.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Though it occurs to me, we may be borrowing trouble. Every year in Australia, the classical music radio station run a 'Top 100' voted by the public on a given theme. And it's been going since 2001, which means that 'themes', at first easy and standard, are probably getting more and more hard to think up, so some recent years I look at the announcement and say "they are never going to make that theme work/get 100 pieces of music/narrow it down to 100 pieces of music!!!" and yet... somehow it works.

I know of course that unlike ABC Classic, the ISU can and do reuse themes for ice dance. But still, we shall see, they may be able to word it better than 'dance party!' (And I admit, I thought the 80s theme was a cracker, but I underestimated the athletes' and their teams' gift for utter blanking on the 80s. Surely they could have asked their parents or is it grandparents now? Oh god.)
Where did the time go? The 80s didnt work for me personally cause that is still way too broad...I never read the standard but 80s films? Pop music? Country western? Musical theatre? TV shows? Did they set boundries? John Denver's Country Homes was first played in 1971 but he did it in the 1980s...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do wonder if this will bring more interest to skating. Without compulsory dance is there something really to tet the basics in ice dance? I do understand that skating is a business too. Bringing back PC will help the popularity of Ice dancing. Love them or hate them having the Russians back I think would help with popularity. I saw some discussion that without the Russians there are fewer posts and viewership of youtube skating videos Lot less discussion on chats.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chock & Bates did it 2015
This is their Worlds performance

As did Piper & Paul

And Charlene & Marco

More can be found here…
Post in thread 'REWATCH Major Championships 1999-present'
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...championships-1999-present.89350/post-2906273

Olivia Smart as a redhead…

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
As did Piper & Paul

And Charlene & Marco

More can be found here…
Post in thread 'REWATCH Major Championships 1999-present'
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...championships-1999-present.89350/post-2906273

Olivia Smart as a redhead…
👍🏼 it was the RD theme that season I think.. would it repeat this coming season? Very specific.. I recall some loved it others not so much and was glad it was over. Mixed themes meant to avoid this (?) but imo the ‘80’s kind of backfired, dancers choosing similar music.. intrigued to know what is coming😲

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone follow Scoreography figure skating podcasts on YouTube?
Here they discuss the Dance Party RD theme as a done deal for next season AND the Olympic Season, music to be confined to specific different decades in each season.. the discussion takes place at the very beginning.. 😲 of the 2024 World Championship Women & Pairs Preview.. not sure who the podcasters are; a man and woman with the same last name (that I have never heard before and haven’t a clue how to spell). But I am curious who they are and if they are insiders who got the info first hand🤗

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I would love to see next year's Rhythm Dance be themed to certain pattern like Yankee Polka. I am really hoping we are not going to get into another music-themed era. This is dance. And I would really like to see comparable step movements to a wide range of music. There is still a lot of room for creativity and expression but it's a way to really discern strong technical skaters.

skatingguy

On the Ice
Does anyone follow Scoreography figure skating podcasts on YouTube?
Here they discuss the Dance Party RD theme as a done deal for next season AND the Olympic Season, music to be confined to specific different decades in each season.. the discussion takes place at the very beginning.. 😲 of the 2024 World Championship Women & Pairs Preview.. not sure who the podcasters are; a man and woman with the same last name (that I have never heard before and haven’t a clue how to spell). But I am curious who they are and if they are insiders who got the info first hand🤗

Wendy & Adrian Buske are a married couple, and no they are not insiders. They got the info about about the rhythm dance for next season, and the season after the same way everyone else did - https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1764496849858126239?t=1Cb-f2cUuffs-N_3G5ep_Q&s=19. The proposal, which has not been finalized, would be by century not decade.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wendy & Adrian Buske are a married couple, and no they are not insiders. They got the info about about the rhythm dance for next season, and the season after the same way everyone else did - https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1764496849858126239?t=1Cb-f2cUuffs-N_3G5ep_Q&s=19. The proposal, which has not been finalized, would be by century not decade.
Thank you ..
By century.. broadens things a bit😲
So it is Dance Party for the next TWO seasons?!? Albeit TBC. Ai Chihuahua!!

Last edited:

FSLover17

On the Ice
2024-25 rhythm dance will be Social Dances and Styles of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s according to the ISU commentary feed in today's free dance (I believe it was during the first warmup?). Mark didn't mention any pattern, not sure if that means it's yet to be released or just won't be specified like in 2022/23...
fpucbzfam5qc1.jpeg