Ladies LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

feraina

Record Breaker
Yes, it was a well disguised step-out. But most of us watching could see that it was a step-out, so surely the judges could have as well?

Not that it's such a huge deal point-wise. I wouldn't have argued for more than -.5 to -1 GOE, and the 2A is not an especially high-scoring jump.

Still surprised by her total score, though, just thinking about the little problems here and there, no 3R, three 2A's.

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point. It was a very enjoyable performance, and I love the choreography and the music and the costume. And it was a very well deserved first place.

Let's see how all these skaters get scored when they are set against each other in GPF and WC: Yu-na, Joannie, Mao, Miki...

I feel bad for Miki, actually. She's skating a lot better than last season, but her scores aren't really reflecting that.

turtle

On the Ice
Hmm. I was sure that Ashley would medal. At least I'm glad that she skated relatively well. Very much enjoyed her performance and loved her costume. She looked so much more mature than last year.

ChrisH

On the Ice
Yu-na got "!" on her 3F this time. Does she always not repeat the 3F or did she just change it this time to avoid the edge call?
Yu-Na's repeated triples are the 3Lz and the 3T. Recall that she does both 3Ts in combination. Doing a 2nd 3T in combination only scores 0.7 points more in base value than doing a 2nd 3F. However, with Yu-Na's excellent 3T vs. her 3F(!), there is a big difference in GoE.

harmy18

Rinkside
well......I prefer Wagner's FP :clap: though she doubble-f two jumps.

really pity for her missing the podium

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
well......I prefer Wagner's FP :clap: though she doubble-f two jumps.

really pity for her missing the podium

I have to agree. I am happy for Laura because I do like her skating, but today
I liked Ashley's LP more.

kandidy

Final Flight
Despite the comments about Ashley's costume, I really like it!
It looks interesting and how should I say it, looks like Indian costume , classic and mysteriuos:)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Ashley. I really liked her. I feel bad for her that she did not medal. She has a lot of energy and excuted all the elements at a great speed. I wish she had received higher score on her skating skills. Her mistakes were hard to see during the performance without slow-mo except for the second lutz. Although her SP was beautiful and sweet, I think that this LP music was more right on her character. My mom really liked her because she looked so energetic and had a lot of speed. I hope she receives better PCS next times. I agree that she looked half naked.;) But I liked the color and the overall atmosphere of the costume, which went well with the music. I also loved her hairdo.

Laura A very beautiful, classy skater. I liked her skating and her jumps. I I also liked her costume. Like many of you guys here, I was also talking with my parents about the ethnic origin of ppl in Finland as we watched her.

Miki Great that she did better than her SA showing. The program was a lot more enjoyable. I am a bit surprised that her first lutz was not downgraded.

Yuna Performance-wise, I loved this performance better than her SA showing. She looked more expressive and I really liked the ways she presented very subtle, understated expressions. This is really a beautiful program and I love it a lot. I am happy that she has very beautiful two programs and outstanding two costumes with sophisticated makeup.
I am surprised when she stepped out of lutz. I wonder if she was a bit nervous as she URed it two days ago.
Although her stretch in spirals has become better and better every year, her spirals at this comp were somehow worse than those in her SA performances. When I first saw her SA performances, I thought that she had improved so much in her spirals even if not the best in the field. But somehow they became worse at this comp even though they are still a lot better than the ones two years ago. I wonder if she was having pain in her back or something, and I really hope that this is not the case. Yet, the first one and the change of edge today were much better than those in her SP two days ago.
In any case, a truly fantastic performance and a very well-deserved win. I really enjoyed her program and feel happy to see such an enormous talent.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Actually the way the judge was using that PCS was the correct way..
PHP:
What he was doing was judging each element seperately...This type of thing really needs to be done

Like Kostner's World performance last year. Kostner always deserves high Scores on the Skating Skills mark, but she should have gotten a really low score for performance. A 9 might have been a little too high, but I think the way this judge was using the marks was refreshing and the way things need to go.

ITA with everything said here. The PCS should not necessarily correlate so very highly with one another all the time. Not only is it unlikely to be reflecting the reality of the performance, it also becomes statistically redundant. If all the PCS are very, very similar, there's no point in having them -- they could just give out one score.

This judge is definitely trying to use the scale as it was intended -- making actual distinctions among the various PCS.

Bennett

Record Breaker
ita with everything said here. The pcs should not necessarily correlate so very highly with one another all the time. not only is it unlikely to be reflecting the reality of the performance, it also becomes statistically redundant. if all the pcs are very, very similar, there's no point in having them -- they could just give out one score.

This judge is definitely trying to use the scale as it was intended -- making actual distinctions among the various pcs.

ita!

Bruin714

On the Ice
I'm disappointed that Ashley didn't medal, but without the fall in the short program Ashley would have, so that's encouraging.

Audrey19

On the Ice
Wow, I was really impressed by Yuna, what a performance! I was at first diappointed that she used Scheherazade, but it's pefect for her! Very well deserved victory! :rock:
Very sorry for Sarah though, she seems out of shape! But her program is lovely and I immediately fell in love with her costume-sooo beautiful!
Huge improvement for Ashley Wagner, when I saw her at worlds last year I found her to be boring and not so enjoyable to watch but now she has impresed me a lot! Good for her!
If Laura Lepisto can skate clean, she will be a real contender at least at euros, love her free skate, a lovely skater overall!
So looking forward to the other GPs(thanks to Eurosport!)

alekzu

Rinkside
I was so happy to see Miki preform so great. That was awesome! I have not seen her like this for I don't know how long. She was smiling and all. Made me all warm inside. Good for you Miki, keep up the good work! :clap:

As for Yu-Na.... Is there anything left to say? She is a fabulous skater (not among my personal favourites yet though). A well deserved win. Congratulations.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
haven't seen the skating yet, but looking through the pictures - Ashley certainly looks grown up, but I'm on the fence about that dress! :eek:

CalebsMom

Rinkside
Yuna
When I first saw her SA performances, I thought that she had improved so much in her spirals even if not the best in the field. But somehow they became worse at this comp even though they are still a lot better than the ones two years ago. I wonder if she was having pain in her back or something, and I really hope that this is not the case.

I did see it, too. Hope she's well.

chocola

Rinkside
I enjoyed Yuna, Laura and Ashley's performances the most.
I became a fan of Miki after watching her Scheherazade, but this season her programs don't do anything for me.

It's pretty lame to say that I almost had a headache while I was watching these beautiful ladies, thanks to the "fantastic" camera work.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Mira Leung

Wow, Mira Leung, she landed everything but got almost every jump downgraded. Absolutely brutal.

fliptart

Rinkside
I was so happy to see Miki preform so great. That was awesome! I have not seen her like this for I don't know how long. She was smiling and all. Made me all warm inside. Good for you Miki, keep up the good work! :clap:

As for Yu-Na.... Is there anything left to say? She is a fabulous skater (not among my personal favourites yet though). A well deserved win. Congratulations.

well said! :clap:

epskeels

Rinkside
Yuna is very overated. She has the worst feet of anyone and her positions on spirals and spins are ugly. She doesn't complete any of her jumps with nice extensions, just rushes fight to the next step. Hopefully her marks will start reflecting this soon as FINALLY Kosnter's marks are starting to reflect her real skating abilities.

kappa_1

On the Ice
I like Wagner's new look overall but her performance was way too spaztastic and flaily. I loved the energy in her jumps and her fight out there, if she calms down just a bit she'll be incredible.