Ladies LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Wrlmy

Medalist
I feel like this year they're really trying to differentiate good jumps from bad jumps in the GOE's, even more than last year. It feels a bit draconian sometimes, like Miki never getting credit for her 3-3, and getting rather low scores. I hope this doesn't mean that she'll lose out on a tiebreaker for the GPF.

Well, Miki got full credit for 3z-3r in the short. And Caroline and Alissa, both of who are not exactly known for "full rotation" had most of their triples ratified.
In fact, I think judges have more freedom with pcs this year. They are not as affected by reputation compared to last year. This can be both positive and negative.

Enough said. :yes:

What's the record on most consecutive GP event wins? This makes 5 in a row for Yu-Na and that's not including the GP finals. My god, she won the last 2 finals! So 7 in a row??

Hmm, try looking up Irina. She was the queen of gp.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Weird, the fifth judge gave Yuna the strangest set of PCS marks: 8.25, 5.75!?, 9.00, 7.75, and 8.00. In fact, that judge was all over the place for every skater.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Protocols up at ISU:
http://www.isufs.org/results/gpchn08/gpchn08_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Yu-na got "!" on her 3F this time. Does she always not repeat the 3F or did she just change it this time to avoid the edge call?

I can't believe it, 0 to +1 for her last 2A, whose landing she couldn't even hold (it was a very well-disguised flip-out).

And extremely high PCS: 61.68! Is that the highest ever? Maybe the judges were so happy to see this high-quality program in the end?

I wonder if the strict skate ordering after SP placements is having an effect on scores? could it be encouraging judges to depress scores for early skaters and exaggerate scores for later skaters?

Medusa

Record Breaker
I can't believe Yu-Na took out the 3R - again! Now she is back to the 6 Triples program. That's what cost her the World Championship last year.

Wagner looked like Meissner in 2006 out there - and I ddin't like the way she rushed through her jumps, as if she was trying to hide some flaws in them. But she was very fast. Plus there must be some downgrades there, Lespistö only landed four Triples but scored just a point less than Wagner on the PCS. Hmm, one downgrade for Wagner - makes it 5 landed Triples over all, plus the two edge calls. That probably equals 4 rather clean Lepistö-Triples and her 3 maxed out combos. Wagner only had two two-jump-combos.

Lepistö was beautiful as always and I understand that she gets 2 points more PCS than Wagner. But can she please try to complete at least 5 Triples? And has anyone ever seen her landing a Triple Lutz in practice? She always plans it, but I have never seen her doing anything above a Double Lutz.

Two downgrades for Ando, the slow-motion was very good and I think most people could see that the 3T-3R wasn't fully rotated. She doesn't have a chance against Kim or Asada if she can't pull off a clean 7-Triple-performance. But at least she made the GPF (or it is at least quite likely that she made it).

Poykio seems on a good way, with Korpi injured, Vahämaa completely out of form - she has a good chance of making it to the big competitions.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Like I just posted, judges seem to have lot more freedom with pcs. Miki got a 'weird' set of pcs as well.

feraina- Mao has got 63's and Irina has even got 66's pcs.

gold12345

Medalist
I don't want to jinx Caroline. I sure hope that she will medal at TEB! Heck, I'd love it if she could take the gold. ;)

The field is quite weak for next week after Rochette and Asada. Caroline should be able to medal even with relatively poor skates. The only other person I could see sneaking in there for bronze is Bebe Liang. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Didn't Sasha do really well some seasons too?

like 2003-2004 when she won gpf? I believe she won three gps and gpf that season.

While I'm extremely happy that Laura won her first gp medal, I thought Ashley deserved it more... She really skated clean except for a couple of two-footings.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
So, two downgrades for Miki, as I thought.

And one downgrade plus two edge calls for Ashley. I actually think she was a little lucky, there was another jump early on that looked UR'ed, too. I'll have to check again to make sure when the YT video comes out.

puhijun

Rinkside
Weird, the fifth judge gave Yuna the strangest set of PCS marks: 8.25, 5.75!?, 9.00, 7.75, and 8.00. In fact, that judge was all over the place for every skater.

I think she/he knew that her/his score wouldn't count, so I think he/she was having much fun with doodling around?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Why is it that weird? I always think it's weird that judges give the skaters more a less the exact same score for everything. E.g. you can have a really bad choreography, but you make the best out of it and score big on Performance / Execution. And this judge probably thought that all those skaters could improve on their transitions.

You can have really bad skating skills, a bad choreography - but have really good interpretation. E.g. Ryan Bradley last week - he had middle to high sixes for everything. Why not give him a 5 for skating skills and choreography, a 4 for transitions - but a 9 for P/E and interpretation?

puhijun

Rinkside
Why is it that weird? I always think it's weird that judges give the skaters more a less the exact same score for everything. E.g. you can have a really bad choreography, but you make the best out of it and score big on Performance / Execution. And this judge probably thought that all those skaters could improve on their transitions.

You can have really bad skating skills, a bad choreography - but have really good interpretation. E.g. Ryan Bradley last week - he had middle to high sixes for everything. Why not give him a 5 for skating skills and choreography, a 4 for transitions - but a 9 for P/E and interpretation?

I think the biggest problem is that it shows that that particular judge has a totally different standard for grading program component scores compared to other judges. THIS is possibly because there is no real STANDARD for grading PEO, or I said in the earlier post, the judge was having fun doodling around with his scores. :p

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think the biggest problem is that it shows that that particular judge has a totally different standard for grading program component scores compared to other judges. THIS is possibly because there is no real STANDARD for grading PEO, or I said in the earlier post, the judge was having fun doodling around with his scores. :p

Actually the way the judge was using that PCS was the correct way..
PHP:
What he was doing was judging each element seperately...This type of thing really needs to be done

Like Kostner's World performance last year. Kostner always deserves high Scores on the Skating Skills mark, but she should have gotten a really low score for performance. A 9 might have been a little too high, but I think the way this judge was using the marks was refreshing and the way things need to go.

feraina

Record Breaker
Hmm, so despite the edge call (!), Yu-na averaged .4 GOE for the 3F-3T, even though the 3F had a slight lip and the 3T came out with a bit of a wiggle on the landing. And she also got mostly +GOE for the last 2A that had a step-out. Just to make sure my eyes didn't fool me, I went over to FSU, and several PBP's also noted her step-out on the last 2A.

The 3F-3T getting slightly positive GOE I can sort of understand, since she normally gets even higher GOE, and this time the lip was really less than in the SP and at SA. But not getting any deduction for the 2A? Didn't someone (ChrisH?) look up rules for step-out and said that it has to be -GOE and -2 deduction (form what the judge would otherwise give)? So where's the -GOE and where's the -2? Hmmph!

How come all the winners of the GP's so far have felt a little over-inflated in their scores to me? I mean, I'm not disputing the placement at all. But how come Yu-na is getting such a huge score for a six-triple program with two step-outs? Are they just trying to make the results seem really, really definite? It'll be interesting when time comes for GPF, when they can't just inflate everyone's score (or maybe they can?? after all, aren't they keen to hand out SB at all the major competitions? :p).

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Hmm, so despite the edge call (!), Yu-na averaged .4 GOE for the 3F-3T, even though the 3F had a slight lip and the 3T came out with a bit of a wiggle on the landing. And she also got mostly +GOE for the last 2A that had a step-out. Just to make sure my eyes didn't fool me, I went over to FSU, and several PBP's also noted her step-out on the last 2A.

The 3F-3T getting slightly positive GOE I can sort of understand, since she normally gets even higher GOE, and this time the lip was really less than in the SP and at SA. But not getting any deduction for the 2A? Didn't someone (ChrisH?) look up rules for step-out and said that it has to be -GOE and -2 deduction (form what the judge would otherwise give)? So where's the -GOE and where's the -2? Hmmph!

How come all the winners of the GP's so far have felt a little over-inflated in their scores to me? I mean, I'm not disputing the placement at all. But how come Yu-na is getting such a huge score for a six-triple program with two step-outs? Are they just trying to make the results seem really, really definite? It'll be interesting when time comes for GPF, when they can't just inflate everyone's score (or maybe they can?? after all, aren't they keen to hand out SB at all the major competitions? :p).

I think the step out was masked on the double axel. In that she landed on foot and then quickly put her foot down. There was definetly no (is it called run out?) but it was masked enough to where was it a step out or wasn't it?

Wrlmy

Medalist
Well she got -1.60 on the first lutz, which had an obvious step out.
Her last 2a wasn't actually an obvious step out. She could've stepped out of it, but she covered it up with a series of steps going into the final spin IIRC.
Except for the two judges, everyone else gave 0 GOE, so her 2a ended up with 0GOE overall. It's surprising that her highest GOE is actually coming from spiral sequence in all four skates she's done this season.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I think the step out was masked on the double axel. In that she landed on foot and then quickly put her foot down. There was definetly no (is it called run out?) but it was masked enough to where was it a step out or wasn't it?
It was really very well masked and looked very deliberate - the steps even suited the music. And - she landed on one foot, the two-foot is a big no-no with the new judging system.