Most controversial programs | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Most controversial programs

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will never forget my big smile when I discovered Laurent Tobel (I think it was some European championship). That was an act of courage in the constipated figure skating world. So was Surya Bonaly back flip at the Olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh49qMMHV2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33koU_ax8So

Genuine question. Why do you consider Bonaly's backflip at the Olympics an "act of courage"? She just threw in an element she knew was an illegal element.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Genuine question. Why do you consider Bonaly's backflip at the Olympics an "act of courage"? She just threw in an element she knew was an illegal element.

Well, I assigned the courage mostly to Laurent (he wasn't rewarded on the second mark/artistry). His artistic touch was amazing. It is true he had that impressive height that was not good for FS, but good, as people could see him better, LOL. Yes, Surya's back flip is more debatable. It is also courage, but mixed with frustration. The truth is you need courage to do a back flip on ice.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
LOL! Maybe that program is controversial for some people. But those don't understand the humor and satire. :drama: Plus that was a exhibition, it was surprising, brave, unprecedented program in the skating world. And good to know that probably is the most well-known and most viewed figure skating program ever. That is shared not only on Youtube in many versions and some of them have million viewers but on many other video sharing sites and on Facebook, too. On Facebook there is a video https://www.facebook.com/figureskatinglife/videos/779902555497449/ 43 millions viewers. ;) And most of those people adore it and laugh at it. Thus the program has reached its goal, laughs and entertains people.

I believe such "controversial" programs are good for this sport. This program and Plush's sexy bottom and legs :cool2: brought many new fans for him and for the figure skating. :laugh:

I loved ''Sex Bomb'' :laugh:

C'mon people. Controversial and pushing boundaries but nothing offensive, just extremely hilarious. I remember laughing out loud while blinking at that while it progressively reached new levels of outgoing sense of humour back then. I just couldn't believe my eyes.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Bestemianova and Bukin's Rasputin program
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OuAYxDOvwM

They used this in professional competitions.
Practically every possible controversial feature:
Gunshots, check, crossdressing, check, politics, check, religion, check, death, check

But they did not manage a hole in the ice for Rasputin to disappear into at the end. That was the only thing missing.

I love a woman commentator here for ''She never loses that facial expression ... NEVER'' ... ''She's the consummate actress out there''

You can understand more what some people mean by ''Russian drama'' :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Re plushy, if you want to do a palate cleanse from the muscle man ex, try his cross-dressing exhibition:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lcB1bRasO4o

Re B&B's Rasputin program, :eek:: I agree, WeakAnkles.
I remember it because it amused me.

Maybe I have no soul but I find that HILARIOUS. A Camp Masterpiece...like much of their work. She's the Gloria Swanson/Sunset Blvd of skaters.

I will never forget my big smile when I discovered Laurent Tobel (I think it was some European championship). That was an act of courage in the constipated figure skating world. So was Surya Bonaly back flip at the Olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh49qMMHV2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33koU_ax8So

Laurent :love:

Plus he was brave! Consider this Skate Canada performance!

And the audience is so enthralled that they think the fire alarm is part of the program, so they just sit there and laugh and applaud!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pIaItI5-afM

Underscored!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Going back to Domnina and Shabalin, their free dance in Vancouver was also controversial because it included this lift, where Shabalin's hand is holding onto Domnina using the string fabric on her costume. As a result, the rules were modified so that using the costume as support in a lift is considered a costume/prop violation with the deduction applied.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Well, I assigned the courage mostly to Laurent (he wasn't rewarded on the second mark/artistry). His artistic touch was amazing. It is true he had that impressive height that was not good for FS, but good, as people could see him better, LOL. Yes, Surya's back flip is more debatable. It is also courage, but mixed with frustration. The truth is you need courage to do a back flip on ice.

She protested against the very conservative judges who seemed to predetermine her score, so she had no chance of medaling at the Olympics. Some said she was a spoiled child, but I was thrilled at her gutsy behavior at that time. :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Regarding Plushy's Sex Bomb, it never occurred to me as a controversial program at all. It was a fun and mind-bogglinging sexy exhibition program. Had it been a competitive program or had he been a minor at that time, it could've been very controversial, but the program served its purpose well; entertaining the audience at galas and he was old enough to do that kind of program. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She protested against the very conservative judges who seemed to predetermine her score, so she had no chance of medaling at the Olympics. Some said she was a spoiled child, but I was thrilled at her gutsy behavior at that time. :)

You know what would have been more courageous? To lay down a perfect program skated the best she could in every way possible, and dare the judges to undermark her. I'm sure if that had happened, the controversy would have been huge. It makes her point and martyrs her, to a degree.

You know what's not at all brave? Assuming that's what will happen, giving the judges a perfect excuse by performing an illegal element, then complaining about the scores. It's a rather stupid move tactically.

Also, when you look at Bonaly's actual achievements, I really feel like it belittles her to reduce her to just the backflip.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
You know what would have been more courageous? To lay down a perfect program skated the best she could in every way possible, and dare the judges to undermark her. I'm sure if that had happened, the controversy would have been huge. It makes her point and martyrs her, to a degree.

You know what's not at all brave? Assuming that's what will happen, giving the judges a perfect excuse by performing an illegal element, then complaining about the scores. It's a rather stupid move tactically.

Also, when you look at Bonaly's actual achievements, I really feel like it belittles her to reduce her to just the backflip.

Well, the audience would've boo-ed at the lowballed score, but the judges would not cared much because there was a precedent;1994 Worlds. She was far from the typical ice princess type for whom the judges at that time was looking as a champion unfortunately.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I'd argue that it was her decision to skate at all, and skate as well as she did, despite being in a lot of pain from an injury that wasn't fully healed that was the more courageous thing, because it allowed her to finish her competitive career on her own terms.

Graciegold2018

Rinkside
I'm shocking no one has mentioned Evgenia's 9/11 long program. Caused a lot of controversy... however was definitely my favorite programs of hers.

viennaskater

Medalist
Regarding Plushy's Sex Bomb, it never occurred to me as a controversial program at all. It was a fun and mind-bogglinging sexy exhibition program. Had it been a competitive program or had he been a minor at that time, it could've been very controversial, but the program served its purpose well; entertaining the audience at galas and he was old enough to do that kind of program. :)

Yeah HE was old enough but there was a five year old also skating with him at one point during that programme.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yeah HE was old enough but there was a five year old also skating with him at one point during that programme.

I have seen live that program. Sasha didn't do any tasteless moviements what wouldn't have been fit for his age. That was cute only and the whole arena adored it. Yes, we can argue about it but that would be a little bit forced.