Patrick Chan | Page 499 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
he can be forgiven by competing at aci

honestly... i was on my way to the gym... and this killed me... back on the couch

Oh the pain. Maybe the programs will grow on you?! :scard8: Have a talk with him at ACI and tell him you don't approve.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh the pain. Maybe the programs will grow on you?! :scard8: Have a talk with him at ACI and tell him you don't approve.

if i manage to ever find the life to get off the couch ever again... i m so devastated that i cannot move... and i should use the restroom very soon...

this is such a blow... but what is worse is that last year, at least he had some stories to go with his music.... he said the beatles songs were his parents favourites and that journey composed for him meant so much because of his own journey but also because it was written by his buddy eric etc...

now he said... well this is an old 70s tune... i like to listen to it... and well... this is kind of a tribute to leonard cohen... and you know being Canadian... well why the boring version of an american singer then? why not KD Lang? Because she sang it at the Vancouver games with brio? I mean... to me, it's a very strange choice and with all the respect I have for his team.. I AM PUZZLED.

He said in the interview that he doesn't get involved much, he doesn't care about the music... it's mostly to fit in the jumps... ok... fine... this is the first time Patrick doesn't mention artistry and choreography... mentions jumps instead... what is happening...

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The choices do seem a bit odd, especially from someone who has the ability and the experience to skate to impactful, powerful music. I wonder if more news will be forthcoming about why and how the pieces were chosen. :scratch3:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The choices do seem a bit odd, especially from someone who has the ability and the experience to skate to impactful, powerful music. I wonder if more news will be forthcoming about why and how the pieces were chosen. :scratch3:

If they are picked for him it is perhaps understandable from his team management point of view. They are easy listening relaxing type of music, which would lessen pressures off him at the biggest event. Hopefully, minimise his head game. suppress his demons, and allow him to skate true to himself without over thinking. These songs have practically biographical qualities on an emotional level and easily affecting the crowd (given these are his bowing out performance) without trying too hard. Little interpretation needed. Which hopefully should allow him to skate pristine clean....as himself.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i guess marina will read the forum... and come up with some stories she can give to patrick to make him sound interesting in the forthcoming interviews

MUAHAHA

the way i heard that interview was that he didn't seem to know the SP song before listening to it... and well everyone knows Hallelujah... and it is indeed a special song to Canadians but he was at the vancouver games... and it was performed there by Lang...he could have said something like " well i guess it's sort of a return to the first games"

there you are Marina... i have provided you with a story... please let Patrick know ;)

I am so used to genuine and personal information by Patrick... not like the interview was given by someone else but yeah...

the first word to describe his training this summer was " frustrating" Why? what? aren't you making progress on jumps... apparently you are... what's so frustrating then?

insipid music choices? no that's my frustration :laugh2:

i mean he was there to talk about pitching the first throw for the blue jays... so that's fine... i thought the interviewer did a good job, provided everything for patrick to tell us more but... it's like he doesn't want to talk much...

i somehow feel at this point that he has chosen music that doesn't mean much to him.... that will be suitable for his lyrical style... but that he isn't connected with personally, perhaps to relieve some performance anxiety?

OKay... i am going way too far in my analysis... but that's what a man who has been struck to the couch for the last 2 hours does...

now i really need to use the restrooms... can i still walk?

in French we say

"ça m'a scié les jambes" which means literally that the news "sawed" my legs ... the expression meaning that it has physically destroyed me to the point that i can no longer move... i guess i can still type a mother load though lol

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If they are picked for him it is perhaps understandable from his team management point of view. They are easy listening relaxing type of music, which would lessen pressures off him at the biggest event. Hopefully, minimise his head game. suppress his demons, and allow him to skate to true to himself with thinking too much. These songs are practically biographical on an emotional and relatable level. Little interpretation needed. Which hopefully should allow him to skate pristine clean....

we posted about at the same time... and that's part of my explanation too.. picked for him not by him ... no special meaning for him... less stress... but really... can we really think that there won't be any stress at all, even with that sort of music??? it's the games after all?

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, this is you on the way to the restroom!:scard8: :scard7::curse:

liv

Record Breaker
C'mon. It is not that bad. I do not care for the sp music, but the lp is beautiful.... and it could have been far worse!!! I think he could really do a good job with it. I understand it takes awhile to recover when your favourite chooses something you do not like, I think we have all experienced that feeling to a degree, but it is early yet. Be optimistic!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
we posted about at the same time... and that's part of my explanation too.. picked for him not by him ... no special meaning for him... less stress

I think they are pretty smart choices. It is as if his team is saying: Just be yourself Patrick, we trust you, you earned it and you'd be fine. While others can bend backwards on themselves doing a war horse trying to do the next Patrick Chan season 2014, 15, 16 programs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think they are pretty smart choices. It is as if his team is saying: Just be yourself Patrick, we trust you, you earned it and you'd be fine. While others can bend backwards on themselves doing a war horse trying to do the next Patrick Chan season 2014, 15, 16 programs.

sure but funny enough... yesterday i had a feeling i needed to post this song in this thread and i didn't.... LOL

not for him to skate to ;) but i knew something sad would happen LOL

except that he says that he let them pick the music and didn't care much... so it's almost as if he said "this year, i don't want to micro-manage (he used that word in the interview) so please my music and I don't care.. "

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
C'mon. It is not that bad. I do not care for the sp music, but the lp is beautiful.... and it could have been far worse!!! I think he could really do a good job with it. I understand it takes awhile to recover when your favourite chooses something you do not like, I think we have all experienced that feeling to a degree, but it is early yet. Be optimistic!

Patrick will do a great job on whatever he skates on... but really there is no need to diminish the feelings of hurt fans... it's a moment we are all allowed to go through... it's probably the first time since I first discovered him in 2008 that I am disappointed with Patrick and i hated POTO but thought it would be great for him LOL ... yup... even at Sochi I wasn't .... i always supported him and admired him, and loved his skating ....

so please excuse me while i go through my chagrin ....

ps i finally made it to the bathroom.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i just wanted to add that if some of you are thrilled with these choices, like OS is for instance, do not mind me ;) we don't always all have to agree and I don't want to prevent anyone from posting their excitement. Perhaps your arguments (again like those of OS) will help me swallow the pill...

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
How weird is this??? This morning I had posted on Twitter that I hope Patrick will skate to The Piano Guys' music some day, and my name will appear in the credits of their new video tomorrow!

And then 3 hours later, he talks about his new music! :shocked:

The choices are okay, since I like and can tolerate both songs. However, his interview did answer the question for me as to why he's been skating to these songs from the 1960s and 70s. Ah, David and Marina picked them for him!

I'm not sure that the music really reflects who he is as a skater, but as OS said, if he can relax while skating to it, that will be good for him.

Okay... so I am looking forward to seeing him perform these two programs live! :agree:

According to this tweet and its source interview, Patrick is going to skate to the following next season:

SP: Dust in the wind by Kansas
LP: Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

Edit: Watching the interview now. Patrick! :love:

Good job, Xeyra! Thanks for posting this link. I'll be updating my blog with a transcript soon!

Isn't Buckley's a cough syrup that doesn't taste very good?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Patrick will do a great job on whatever he skates on... but really there is no need to diminish the feelings of hurt fans... it's a moment we are all allowed to go through... it's probably the first time since I first discovered him in 2008 that I am disappointed with Patrick and i hated POTO but thought it would be great for him LOL ... yup... even at Sochi I wasn't .... i always supported him and admired him, and loved his skating .... .

He coming into his own and we'll get to know the other side of him that likes EDM and hip hop, etc.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WARNING this is page 666... apparently the :devil: page

it is well suited that it appears today... since well... to some of us, the news about his musical choices have been let's just say it... BAD :)

I suggest that we post all sorts of stories, comments, facts, reactions... to Patrick's musical choices over the years.... from warhorses to masterpieces.. to ermmm... I don't know what just hit me today ;)

or anything that will make us go through to page 667 very fast... ;)

He coming into his own and we'll get to know the other side of him that likes EDM and hip hop, etc.

as a contribution :

here is my comment to EDM : i love it ;) and I wouldn't mind Patrick being out of the box crazy with a program skated to it...

I love it for the same reasons as Patrick... it get monotonous and while working out or doing house chores... it's awesome... because you feel the energy of it without having to pay much attention to it...

and in clubs... what's great about it, is that with a glass or two, it provides this chilling mood perfect for dancing without much inhibitions LOL as the beat is steady and predictable and there is no need to have skills to shine ;)

So EDM ?

I wonder... who would prefer an EDM program rather than Kansas?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
WARNING this is page 666... apparently the :devil: page

it is well suited that it appears today... since well... to some of us, the news about his musical choices have been let's just say it... BAD :)

I suggest that we post all sorts of stories, comments, facts, reactions... to Patrick's musical choices over the years.... from warhorses to masterpieces.. to ermmm... I don't know what just hit me today ;)

or anything that will make us go through to page 667 very fast... ;)

as a contribution :

here is my comment to EDM : i love it ;) and I wouldn't mind Patrick being out of the box crazy with a program skated to it...

I love it for the same reasons as Patrick... it get monotonous and while working out or doing house chores... it's awesome... because you feel the energy of it without having to pay much attention to it...

and in clubs... what's great about it, is that with a glass or two, it provides this chilling mood perfect for dancing without much inhibitions LOL as the beat is steady and predictable and there is no need to have skills to shine ;)

So EDM ?

I wonder... who would prefer an EDM program rather than Kansas?

Lol, yes, I like EDM myself and wouldn't mind seeing Patrick skating to it!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in non classical choices, by far my favourite Patrick program is TAKE FIVE.... he shocked me so positively with this short program... he mastered the rhythmic of the 5 beat bar so well and wow... i was amazed!

in classical choices, it's hard, as a pianist not to go for Elegy and Chopin, not only because I know the music intimately but because his skating to these pieces is stunningly in synch with the musical meaning of these pieces... but I have to say that Aranjuez is special to me and will always remain one of my favourites though Patrick has evolved so much as a skater since then.

the program so far that never spoke to me : MTK but i forgave him as he was "back in town"

the program I feared the most until today : POTO.... but he was marvelous... i almost forgot it was POTO

and finally, the program until now, that I LOVED so much despite the music... Journey....

this may be topped though as I still believe in you Chiddy... to bring some emotional skating despite these strange choices.

PS I will forgive you easier dear PCHIDDY, if you give me some 4flips. :laugh2: