Patrick Chan | Page 497 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Finally, here is my new interview article!

"The Girl Who Made Patrick Chan a Scarf"

She had some cute stories to share! The article is long so if you read it all the way through, it should make you happy and sleepy, ready for bed (if you are in North America)... :bed: :agree:

Everyone else in the world will get a belly full of warm fuzzies... :laugh:

Wonderful job!

And this is why I love him as a person and a skater and he is set to be a legend of our sport. :2thumbs:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

She had some cute stories to share! The article is long so if you read it all the way through, it should make you happy and sleepy, ready for bed (if you are in North America)... :bed: :agree:

What a great article. Thank you! It sounds like maybe I'm not the only one who gets a little flustered when I meet a favorite skater! I tend to open my mouth to speak and no words come out! :laugh: And I have been known to take more than a few blurry photos!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

thank you Vivley.... this article features so many of my favourite things about Patrick !!!! and all along I was thinking : I am so happy that Viv will finally get to go and see him skate live... I keep repeating this but when people say skating is better live, they are right... for most skaters it's true... but for Patrick is a million times truer because of the way he meanders smoothly in all directions on the ice... his ice coverage is spectacular ... and the fan in the article is right.... he finishes every movement, taking the time to execute them brings the emotion through the entire body.... it's poetry.... read expertly by someone who is able to give colour, meaning and emotion to every word, ever syllable, without ever losing the rhythm of the full sentence... that's what Patrick is on ice... pure poetry of movement... and now that I have seen him live, I can relate even more to his skating on tv because i can imagine his smooth ice carving from the very flat and boring tv angles....

anyways... thank you for preparing this long interview.... and including also all the bits about Jeff, whom i adore as well. ;)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have a folder with some chiddy pictures myself ;) and if my friends saw it, they would tease me forever ;) i know the feeling skatingfan4ever... nice to hear from you!!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay, so I haven't posted here (or anywhere on GS) in quite a while, and I promise I have much more to say than this, but for now I'll share this fan-made banner of Worlds SP photos plus Patrick's name. Gorgeous, right?! :love::love::love: So gorgeous that I made it my desktop computer background. I was immediately teased (lovingly) by my family members when they saw it as we were eating dinner. :laugh:

I'll be back tomorrow, my friends in the Chiddy cheering section! :)

Welcome back skatingfan4ever, we've missed you here!!!:ghug:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
:eek:topic:

I just wanted to let all my friendly Chanaddicts know that I may be going on a little hiatus here :( and am just leaving a note so no one gets worried about me suddenly disappearing.

GO PATRICK!:cheer:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
What a great article. Thank you! It sounds like maybe I'm not the only one who gets a little flustered when I meet a favorite skater! I tend to open my mouth to speak and no words come out! :laugh: And I have been known to take more than a few blurry photos!

Haha, tell us which skaters you have met! :agree:

And this is why I love him as a person and a skater and he is set to be a legend of our sport. :

Yes, indeed! :)

thank you Vivley.... this article features so many of my favourite things about Patrick !!!! and all along I was thinking : I am so happy that Viv will finally get to go and see him skate live... I keep repeating this but when people say skating is better live, they are right... for most skaters it's true... but for Patrick is a million times truer because of the way he meanders smoothly in all directions on the ice... his ice coverage is spectacular ... and the fan in the article is right.... he finishes every movement, taking the time to execute them brings the emotion through the entire body.... it's poetry.... read expertly by someone who is able to give colour, meaning and emotion to every word, ever syllable, without ever losing the rhythm of the full sentence... that's what Patrick is on ice... pure poetry of movement... and now that I have seen him live, I can relate even more to his skating on tv because i can imagine his smooth ice carving from the very flat and boring tv angles....

anyways... thank you for preparing this long interview.... and including also all the bits about Jeff, whom i adore as well. ;)

I'm so glad it reminded you of your favorite things about Patrick! Who cares if it's summer? Soon we'll see him floating on the ice again, but in the meantime, we can imagine his artistry... I can't wait to see it for myself!

Patrick posted this earlier today on his Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BWxJ0sIFZVt/?taken-by=pchan31&hl=en:laugh2:

Lol, nice to see that he's been having fun... patching holes... :drama: :laugh2:

At least he himself is intact... no patching needed there!

I just wanted to let all my friendly Chanaddicts know that I may be going on a little hiatus here :( and am just leaving a note so no one gets worried about me suddenly disappearing.

Do come back soon, we'll miss ya!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, tell us which skaters you have met! :agree:

Shoma, Max Aaron, Gracie Gold, the Shibs, Tarah Kayne & Danny O'Shea, Paul Wylie, Charlie White, Nobunari Oda, Haven Denney & Brandon Frasier, Mirai.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Welcome back skatingfan4ever, we've missed you here!!!:ghug:
:thank: so much!!!

Patrick posted this earlier today on his Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BWxJ0sIFZVt/?taken-by=pchan31&hl=en:laugh2:
I was wondering when someone would bring this here. Not only did Patrick actually post something on social media :)yay:), but it's so funny!!! This also shows how supportive and friendly the training environment is. The commentary really adds a lot to the hilarity. Good job, Johnny Johns! :yes:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

don't forget your way back from down the rabbit hole... :laugh2:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Since I haven’t posted here lately, I have some thoughts about a few past posts. Multiquoting on the way. ;)

Yes, and it was a more frustrating process navigating through Ticketmaster than I thought it would be. But I did get one. Thanks for the encouragement!

If you hadn't mentioned the "tiny venue" I wouldn't have known... TDPlace has 24,000 seats and Doug Mitchell Thunderbird only has 7,200!

-----------------

All, here's the latest Japanese article on Patrick. He is definitely working toward a quad flip, and his goal for the Olympics is: "fight without fear, acting with confidence and the best."

http://xxhuyuzero.jp/2017/06/22/post-46580/

Go Pchiddy!!!
Congrats, vivley, on getting the chance to watch Patrick skate live. Dreamy stuff. Give us ALL the details afterward. And the 4F – yay!!! I REALLY want Patrick to skate two clean programs in Pyeongchang, regardless of placement, so hopefully one season with the 4F will be enough time. It certainly was enough for the 4S! :yes: I like that goal to “fight without fear” (fear of expectations and fear of making mistakes, etc) and acting with confidence. :rock:

Hi everyone! And hi Viv (we've chat a few times on Twitter), congratz on getting that ticket! I'm so happy for you

A relatively new figure skating fan here, I first fell in love with Patrick's skating after having watched a video of his Cup of China free skate last year. He really stands out with his sense of maturity and command of his edge work on the ice and not only that, he has such a refined fluidity in the movement of his entire body! It's like I can feel his spiritual connection to the ice. Whenever I see him skate, I think "this man is a true talent of the sport"!

I'm happy to hear he's decided to work on that 4F. It's a really bold thing to do at his point of career so my respect for him has grown a tenfold!

I'm cheering him on to make new strides and possibly new personal bests in his final season!
:agree: “Refined fluidity,” “movement of entire body,” “spiritual connection to the ice” are all things I’ve noticed too. The ice is what takes Patrick to the heights he reaches, so much so that at Boston Worlds he noticed very much when the ice conditions were not ideal. Some fans didn’t like his comments and interpreted them as him making excuses. For myself, I found the discussion fascinating. When you use edges the way Patrick does, good ice is your best friend.

This is the season for Patrick to go flat out, full steam ahead, and no holds barred in his technical attempts.

Bring on the 4T, 4S, and 4F! If not now, when? Damn the Torpedo, full speed ahead!

As long as he breathes well through it all, before, during and after.

Go Patrick! And be happy and healthy.
:yes2:

i agree that putting the 1/2 loop combo is more rewarding on the 3a... however, i have never seen him land it.... though there are several examples of Patrick landing it, and in the second half with the 3lz as opening jump...

this is why i said...patrick is a funny guy we won't know until he decides for us to know... he sometimes has some affinities with some layouts and jumps that will not change despite getting +1 point or GOE modifier or what not

and no... i am pretty sure that he will not drop the 2 quad toes, and if he did, i am sure he would not drop the 4t-3t which he is famous for... even when people told him he should do the 4t 3a // 3lz-3t in SP to enhance the BV he didn't do it and kept the 4t-3t.

Patrick has never explored much with backloading either. I do not think it's something he will do since his skating is extremely physical but if he shocks everyone and asks for an "easier" program to be on par with the other quadsters, who knows how much more stamina he would have in the last minute of a program.

Music will be a big factor too... Patrick really caters jumps to his music like the 3S in the Chopin or the 3Loop in the Journey.... the lutzes are often also perfectly placed on highlights.... nobody else does it quite like him. This sort of refinement is no longer as much appreciated as how many quads get landed....

I mean, if Patrick came over for tea, we would talk about many things and I'd be so curious about how he sees layouts and what is his relationship with each jump. But yeah... as far as I know, he is busy quad flipping
Patrick certainly doesn’t like to reveal his layouts to the fans before they happen. Comfort is important to him as he is skating, so he’ll do whatever layout he feels most comfortable with. For him it’s not about getting points, but skating a meaningful whole program. I LOVE how Patrick caters the jump placements to his music. Yes, he shows a degree of refinement in program construction that is rare and that I really appreciate (I know David Wilson choreographs them that way, but he does it that way because Patrick cares about those little details). Oh, and I would LOVE if 4everchan could spend one-on-one time with Patrick (as long as we got a FULL report afterward – you could hire vivley to do the transcript. ;)) But would you two be speaking French or English? :laugh:

If he does a four-quad program, that would be doing the "impossible", because last year he was quoted saying that four quads would be impossible for him. But of course that was before he trained with Nathan Chen...

But he has come so far since January 2016, from one quad in the LP to now three quads in the LP and two in the SP! So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did it!
Patrick has been full of surprises since his comeback. The 4F was only a dream/wish that we fans had, one that I thought was very unlikely, and now Patrick is working on it seriously and wants to put it in the program!

My vote goes to ice dancer Patrick, more chances to see him skate

But who can also resist the idea of him working with children in the rink?

He is the only skater whose skating, even without the jumps, will never bore me
:agree: I feel exactly the same way!!!

I noticed that the memory Patrick shared from the Olympics had nothing to do with himself or his own accomplishments. So, despite not skating how he wanted to at either Olympics, he has other memories from those Olympics that are more lasting and more precious. It’s not about results; it’s about the people you can share them with. And sometimes your best memories involve being happy watching someone else succeed. The camaraderie among Canadian athletes feels so genuine. What a lovely video.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States

I know others have said this before me, but OH MY GOSH, VIVLEY, THIS INTERVIEW IS AMAZING!!!!! You asked great questions, but also VChan was very well-spoken in her answers. I loved her description of Patrick's skating qualities and his personal kindness and candor. He seems down-to-earth and personable. The Bookaboo part particularly made me smile. Thanks for doing this interview! I feel so fortunate to be a fan of Patrick Chan! :yes: :ghug:

Thanks for the bold part describing Patrick as a poet on ice. Your words were well-chosen and eloquent and they moved me. Not everyone likes Patrick's poetry, but I sure do. :agree2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so nice to have you back posting skatingfan4ever!!! thanks for the kind words and welcome back !!!!! we are going to have quite a season!!!!

GO PATRICK GO!!!!!

blueberryhill

On the Ice

Vivley, what a great article! Has VChan inspired you to knit something for Patrick when you go to the Nationals? ;) :) I think that great care is made to ensure that all gifts thrown on the ice is gathered and given to the skaters. :)