Plushenko to Resume His Eligibility to skate ISU Competitions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Plushenko to Resume His Eligibility to skate ISU Competitions

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ i mailed my sister to pick me from the airport and she understood wrong time. Now imagine if we had to make an Lp on top of that.;)

B I think you are the only fan of the new haircut:laugh: Strong facial features and all:p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
i mailed my sister to pick me from the airport and she understood wrong time. Now imagine if we had to make an Lp on top of that ;)

B I think you are the only fan of the new haircut:laugh: Strong facial features and all:p
Medusa approved of it, too. I'm sure Plush will eventually come up with a better haircut, but it's certainly preferable to a mullet.

Plushy is lucky to have been with Mishin for so long, clearly they get along well and Mishin has done a marvelous job with him technically. But it's great that Plush is now exploring new creative directions and looking to work with new choreographers; I think it's best to keep things fresh when it comes to choreo, and not work with the same people for years on end. I hope he'll come up with something fun.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ I believe by beginiing of season it will have grown to a mulltet again, lol!
When i saw evgeni in spring between seriousness and fun I told him to get rid of the rasputin choreographer and keep zhulin ( i didnt say exactly this way though the whole conversation was about new image and transitions and jumps on the second half, but I made sure he gets that zhulin program had good reviews) , I thought he would call the bodyguards to throw me out but he laughed and said ok, nevertheless in Tartu camp photos I saw the Advish choreog by the boards and it is a banging the head on the wall situation, since he does one surgery after the other I feel they go in vain. He also has had a russian choreographer, i dont know remember her name, Marina sth, who did the scorpions exhibition for him, but i didnt like it much either...I dont know what exactly he thinks about this stuff cause he can surely afford the best one, but i guess he wants to feel friendly also with his team, I can hardly imagine him working with Nichol or Wilson but I d love to see him with Camerlengo or Dickson or Browning, in 2006 olympic season, he had Morozov choreographing his sp and he dropped it like potato after one skate.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Well, you are clearly a much bigger Browning fan than I am a Joubert fan and I salute your unwavering loyalty and devotion towards him.

He didn't need to make up a story to get out of the situation. He could have refused to answer the question. "This was in the past, it's done now." "I'd prefer not to talk about this." No lie, no made up story.

I am not sure I would like to be your co-worker.
From where is seen that SkateFiguring is a big Browning fan in her posts regarding this incident?

ciocio

On the Ice
^ I believe by beginiing of season it will have grown to a mulltet again, lol!
When i saw evgeni in spring between seriousness and fun I told him to get rid of the rasputin choreographer and keep zhulin ( i didnt say exactly this way though the whole conversation was about new image and transitions and jumps on the second half, but I made sure he gets that zhulin program had good reviews) , I thought he would call the bodyguards to throw me out but he laughed and said ok, nevertheless in Tartu camp photos I saw the Advish choreog by the boards and it is a banging the head on the wall situation, since he does one surgery after the other I feel they go in vain. He also has had a russian choreographer, i dont know remember her name, Marina sth, who did the scorpions exhibition for him, but i didnt like it much either...I dont know what exactly he thinks about this stuff cause he can surely afford the best one, but i guess he wants to feel friendly also with his team, I can hardly imagine him working with Nichol or Wilson but I d love to see him with Camerlengo or Dickson or Browning, in 2006 olympic season, he had Morozov choreographing his sp and he dropped it like potato after one skate.

Very bad news:unsure:.....I´m very tired of David choreographies and if he skates again to Marton´s music & David´s programs I´m done with watching him in competitions.:disagree: I doubt he can´t afford a good choreographer and his stubbornness starts to annoy me a lot!:mad:

Choreography under CoP is more of covering the many essentials demanded in the scoring, i.e., transitions before jumps, counting the rotations of the spins, footwork to both sides, etc. It has nothing to do with musicality.

The acknowledged choreographers are aware of that, and they try their best to make it look original, but so much of it all looks the same.

It's up to the contestant to provide the nuances, and try to make the program look original. Much too often, the choreographers must show them nuances because the skater does not have the inherent talent for showmanship.

Does not have the inherent talent for showmanship--what a great phrase. It certainly is true of a lot of the young jumping bean skaters, but if there's anyone it's not true of, it's Plushenko!

I do agree that it would be nice if he tried another choreographer. But really, I'm just happy to see him continue skating. At this point there's something noble in his stubbornness.

Does not have the inherent talent for showmanship--what a great phrase. It certainly is true of a lot of the young jumping bean skaters, but if there's anyone it's not true of, it's Plushenko!

I do agree that it would be nice if he tried another choreographer. But really, I'm just happy to see him continue skating. At this point there's something noble in his stubbornness.
I can't beliieve, my post in general was about Plushenko. To reiterate what I meant was that all skaters should be judged on musicality moreso than what the CoP allows for. My rationale is more about the point of using music in competition. (I have no qualms about removing music from a competition.)

Musicality consists of Timing of steps, as it is in Ice Dance which competes in different rhythms. Few solo skaters show a talent for changing rhythm other than changing grimaces, imo. it's more than just going from one musical genre to another. Carmen is a good example of multiple rhythms.

Although I did not specifically mention Evgeni. I will comment as follows: Plushenko has no problem with musical timing, but in competition, skating demands more than a bragadoccio approach to a program. His competitive skating is the same showmanship (and style) year after year, and imo, is more about how well he executes his jumps with an air of smirkiness as the best of his competitors than his approach to showing a musical program. it was quite clear in 2002 Olys, his super jumps failed him and thus paved the way for Yagudin's Win.

His many fans, including Olympia, will really be looking for those jumps with choreography by whomever, moreso than his approach to a different musical program. I will too, but will he have the ability to show a different style?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Yes, you almost never worry about Plushenko because you know he will never really change. Brian tried to adapt to the new system but it never worked and he only lost his once rock-solid jumps. Plushy will just be Plushy...and somehow always win.

ciocio

On the Ice
Although I did not specifically mention Evgeni. I will comment as follows: Plushenko has no problem with musical timing, but in competition, skating demands more than a bragadoccio approach to a program. His competitive skating is the same showmanship (and style) year after year, and imo, is more about how well he executes his jumps with an air of smirkiness as the best of his competitors than his approach to showing a musical program. it was quite clear in 2002 Olys, his super jumps failed him and thus paved the way for Yagudin's Win.

His many fans, including Olympia, will really be looking for those jumps with choreography by whomever, moreso than his approach to a different musical program. I will too, but will he have the ability to show a different style?

Sorry, I don´t think Plushy would have been able to beat Yagudin after missing the quad in SP, no matter what program he would have had. Actually, he finished second because despite the errors he gave a nice performance.
But I´m ready to see Plushy falling on his a$$ 100000 times while skating to something different. :yes: :love:

Sorry, I don´t think Plushy would have been able to beat Yagudin after missing the quad in SP, no matter what program he would have had. Actually, he finished second because despite the errors he gave a nice performance.
But I´m ready to see Plushy falling on his a$$ 100000 times while skating to something different. :yes: :love:
I wasn't looking at the technical aspect of the Yags/Plush competition. I just wanted to mention that his Attitude Style wasn't working against a more Musical Style.

Giving a nice performance is in the minds of his die-hard fans. We'll see if he can manage a musical style with a different choreographer. He did mention (after loss to Lysacek) that he has to put more dance in his skating.

Meantime, let's hope his new surgeries workout well.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Choreography under CoP is more of covering the many essentials demanded in the scoring, i.e., transitions before jumps, counting the rotations of the spins, footwork to both sides, etc. It has nothing to do with musicality.
Unfortunately, you are 100% right. That's why we have Evan&Chan Co.

ISU will never learn.

I wasn't looking at the technical aspect of the Yags/Plush competition. I just wanted to mention that his Attitude Style wasn't working against a more Musical Style.

Giving a nice performance is in the minds of his die-hard fans. We'll see if he can manage a musical style with a different choreographer. He did mention (after loss to Lysacek) that he has to put more dance in his skating.

Meantime, let's hope his new surgeries workout well.

I too yearn for someone with Yagudin's musicality. Which is why I so love Takahashi and Lambiel. And, face it, I still yearn for Yagudin. But Plushenko brings something unique to skating. I admire him for his intensity, his hard work, his technical prowess. And he's musical in his way. As a matter of fact, wasn't everyone pointing out that he didn't win at Vancouver because he refused to kowtow to the demands of CoP, while Evan did fulfill those requirements?

The thing is, Plushenko has a certain personality, and he expresses that personality when he skates. He's like an old-time movie star who always plays himself, rather than a character actor who exhibits a wider range of expression. (I'd put Browning in that category.) Maybe this counts as resting on his laurels. But they're pretty substantial laurels! If he continues to skate in the same vein, he's not doing any damage to figure skating. What he is doing is demonstrating that longevity is possible, which at this moment in skating is a good lesson to teach, I think.

I'd be thrilled if he skates to something different. But if he doesn't, I'll still be impressed. He's not nearly at the top of my list of faves, but I'm always glad to see him soldiering on.

Last edited:

ciocio

On the Ice
I too yearn for someone with Yagudin's musicality. Which is why I so love Takahashi and Lambiel. And, face it, I still yearn for Yagudin. But Plushenko brings something unique to skating. I admire him for his intensity, his hard work, his technical prowess. And he's musical in his way. As a matter of fact, wasn't everyone pointing out that he didn't win at Vancouver because he refused to kowtow to the demands of CoP, while Evan did fulfill those requirements?

In my opinion it's very exaggerated to compare Yagudin to Lambiel. I've never seen too much musicality in Yagudin's skating in his early years, when he training with Mishin. Actually Yagudin himself admitted that Tarasova taught him everything, how to move, how to perform, how to interpretate.
Even I like Yagudin much more than Lambiel to me it's absolutely clear that Lambiel has a special, innate talent. :think:

^^^
You're holding onto the "Legend". Nothing wrong with that, but not everyone agrees with that.

Other than his powerful quads and jumps, there was nothing more to his performance. Laurels?

In addition to Yagudin, I believe Sandhu beat him in a GP;
His 2006 Olys where he showed much weakness despite his win over better musical skaters who failed to rise to the occasion.
And then there was Lysacek - whodathunkit?

He does have a fighting personality, I agree, and who doesn't? Competitors show it in different ways. Check out Amodio and have another look at Takahashi. Personality just doesn't ring out legend to me.

His early years he demonstrated high level jumps at the start of his programs that circled the ice as one would do them in practice. The music was ignored.

However, I still wish him the best in Sochi, his home country.

ciocio

On the Ice
^^^
You're holding onto the "Legend". Nothing wrong with that, but not everyone agrees with that.

Other than his powerful quads and jumps, there was nothing more to his performance. Laurels?

In addition to Yagudin, I believe Sandhu beat him in a GP;
His 2006 Olys where he showed much weakness despite his win over better musical skaters who failed to rise to the occasion.
And then there was Lysacek - whodathunkit?

He does have a fighting personality, I agree, and who doesn't? Competitors show it in different ways. Check out Amodio and have another look at Takahashi. Personality just doesn't ring out legend to me.

His early years he demonstrated high level jumps at the start of his programs that circled the ice as one would do them in practice. The music was ignored.

However, I still wish him the best in Sochi, his home country.

Then why a lot of his fans don't like him because of his jumps, even more, they don't even care about jumps in FS? It's because of his nose or his mullet?:laugh::rolleye:

Love him or hate him, Plushenko is one of only four skaters in history to win medals in three or more Olympics. The others are Gillis Grafstom, Sonia Henie and Irina Rodnina.

In my opinion it's very exaggerated to compare Yagudin to Lambiel. I've never seen too much musicality in Yagudin's skating in his early years, when he training with Mishin. Actually Yagudin himself admitted that Tarasova taught him everything, how to move, how to perform, how to interpretate.
Even I like Yagudin much more than Lambiel to me it's absolutely clear that Lambiel has a special, innate talent. :think:

I'm not comparing them so much as associating them. I warm to both of them. You're right that each has a different quality, but to me both of them are thrilling and on my all-time fave list, along with Browning. Weighing them against each other is something I'm unable to do, but fortunately, I don't have to, because we have them both. Feel free to do so yourself, however! I like the descriptions you've come up with.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Love him or hate him, Plushenko is one of only four skaters in history to win medals in three or more Olympics. The others are Gillis Grafstom, Sonia Henie and Irina Rodnina.

Shen/Zhao have some words, Mathman. As does Mr. Dmitriev (senior). And Klimova/Ponamarenko.