The Opening Ceremony | Page 17 | Golden Skate

The Opening Ceremony

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
The ending is lovely. From the chief priestess in Olympia, Greece, to the Queen of Korea in PyeongChang.

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
O, thanks, now I understand. I already didn't get what Sweden was doing there so early.

Elaine

On the Ice
Wow, I'm just so happy to see Yuna skate (on very very small ice, and omg did she skate at that height?) again.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The emotional ending made up for it all.

Seeing Yuna on ice :sad4:
United Korea under one flag... :luv17:
Bringer of peace :love:
Lighting the Olympic couldron from the sky :yahoo:
Whole concept of the opening ceremony around modesty and youth, hope, Imagine (the UNICEF message which she is an ambassador of since Vancouver, nice continuation of her Sochi Exhibition, also the London Olympics)
The understated elegance and nonchalance about the whole thing while not losing the message, makes a huge welcoming change and bring the attention back to the games and the people. Less about the bravado or one's ostentatiousness, but what it hope to achieve in the future with an eye in the past while avoiding going against the message of unity. The pensive mood was also right for the games given the awakening of Sochi disaster with overwhelming meaningless wasted opulence. The greater efforts were spent on trying to uniting the 2 countries for peace against overwhelming odds. Great Soprano with gorgeous traditional Korea costumes, superb. A++ It made the Olympic theme greater somehow. Tonga warrior man another A++. Drones... can we have some of that technology shooting the figure skating games and make the viewing available to the judges.

Keep it simple and to the point, bring on the sport and athletes now. :pray:

One great thing! Good on you Robin Cousins... for saying what you did...about Sochi result. that is a brave thing to say coming from the Beebs.

Good for you :D

hamaguri

Record Breaker
The face of bird was scary, reuse the performance of past ceremonies...cheep Kpop, and imagine is Lennon's song... especially, dance before lighting boxes, writing thank you in many languages and so on are perfect immitation of Rio closing ceremony of Japan...

And the seats were vacant.

MiRé

Match Penalty
The face of bird was scary, reuse the performance of past ceremonies...cheep Kpop, and imagine is Lennon's song... especially, dance before lighting boxes, writing thank you in many languages and so on are perfect immitation of Rio closing ceremony of Japan...

And the seats were vacant.

Olympics is not about the show, it's about unity. Two Koreans marching together as a unified country alone tops any "performances" throughout the ages especially how much politics have affected their separation. Olympics is about bringing countries together. You're forgetting the core values of the Olympics. If you want a show, go watch a circus

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Olympics is not about the show, it's about unity. Two Koreans marching together as a unified country alone tops any "performances" throughout the ages especially how much politics have affected their separation. Olympics is about bringing countries together. You're forgetting the core values of the Olympics. If you want a show, go watch a circus

You're right. This Olympics is the political show. You have to keep it mind the separation of politics and sports, but they take an advantage as much as possible. . Much news about north Korea than Olympics itself. Already pyonyang Olympics.

GGFan

Record Breaker

I understand what you mean and it was indeed a beautiful moment, but I only agree to an extent. I think you're making a false dichotomy between the political and the performative, when they're actually very intertwined.

The march was a symbol of unity, but also a political show. It was negotiated and choreographed, which doesn't mean it wasn't powerful. Putting on a great opening ceremonies is in itself political: yes, you're showing your cultural richness, but you're also trying to show that your culture is worthy of respect. Korea like all countries who host was trying to project power and wealth.

Korea didn't go through all of this trouble just to achieve a single powerful moment. I think it is completely legitimate to judge the opening ceremonies in many different ways from the lofty to the superficial.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Great moments from the athlete walk ins from the top my head. Alexei of Israel couldn't look more chuffed holding his flag, really nice comment about him from the BBC about his performance in the Team event.
So happy to see Virtue and Moir holding the flag for Canada. Total Legend :) Fingers crossed with the chase...

MCM from Philippines and Julian from Malaysia, cute guys putting figure skating on their map. Best of luck to them.

Did I miss anyone else carrying the flag?

whatif

Medalist
I agree that the biggest moment of this Olympics was the unified Korea walking into the stadium and the historic handshake between the sister Kim and Moon. This is the image that has been chosen to headline this event by most world media. I imagine Americans, Chinese, Japanese and Russians are not too happy with this sudden love affair between South and North. I hope it lasts but I doubt it given what’s at stake.