Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 190 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

waterskiiiepic123

On the Ice
Come on. Nobody except dada16 noticed that she holds her leg differently? Or is this not a news at all? :scratch:
Being a structural dynamicist, I know this new position must be more difficult to balance.
Knowing very little about skating techniques, I would like to ask: Does she get higher scores from it? If no, why did she make the change?

It's the first time in competition but we've already seen them during the spring shows. Eteri said that she's mad that they dont get a higher scores but they do the new things for the completenesss of the program itself and the fans.

lenok83

On the Ice
I spoke on this the other day. She actually changes the spin more than you think. This particular variation first popped up over the summer during her shows. After her skate Ilya would come out and she would perform the i-spin again and she would do this variation. Eteri commented on it last year saying even though she was accustomed to Yulia's level of spins she found this one to be very difficult and impressive.

Here is another variation of the same spin in the GPF last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJTIbRcPCIA#t=162

Did you notice? She slips her free hand up to the blade and actually is holding her blade with both hands. I've only seen her do this here and maybe in an Ex but I can't recall which one.

Here is one from her "encore" after the show in St Petersburg. This is the same version she used in GPF this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2w2yhbSAvg#t=304

I remember thinking how tired she looked after all of those shows and it was almost June at this point. :cry:

Another variation of the spin. I think it's very dangerous, but effective!

http://s018.radikal.ru/i527/1412/05/a64522d251ee.gif

MalAssada

Medalist
Wow :jaw: The last one of Sam's post is even more impressive than her usual spins, and lenok's is also jaw dropping.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's the first time in competition but we've already seen them during the spring shows. Eteri said that she's mad that they dont get a higher scores but they do the new things for the completenesss of the program itself and the fans.
I wonder why the judges didn't reward her. What do they want actually... Pearl spin or something?

Yamita

On the Ice
Thank you guys. I guess I missed some of the posts and was not observant. :scowl:
GPF is the first time I noticed she did it this way. Basically she hold her left leg up almost to the back (but not the front) of her chest. I think it is amazing and a bit crazy. I also noticed she did it this way in SP and EX but not in LP.

I wonder why the judges didn't reward her. What do they want actually... Pearl spin or something?
I guess Yulia does the variations in part to surpass herself but, yah, why didn't the judges reward her? :mad:
Suppose one judge wants to reward her, in which category he/she could do it? TES or PCS?

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Wow, did I miss something important. (JK, but the view count on this thread changed from 484 to 503 thousand in 2 days. Everyone love Yulia.)

Alba

Record Breaker
She does get rewarded from the judges for that spin. It's just that in the short at GPF she got a small problem with the rotation in the camel position, so the level was not the same. But if I'm not mistaken she got all +3 in GoE's.

Yamita

On the Ice

Just for the fun of it.
Speculation #1: Yulia is way ahead of our time. Judges are not yet ready to appreciate the variations in her spins.
Speculation #2: She spins too fast. Judges cannot see the difference.
Speculation #3: The audience's cheering for her I-spins is too loud. The judges lost concentration.
Speculation #4: There is no category for I-spins. Judges cannot do anything about it.

(hope i am not wasting everybody's time ... :p)

dada16

On the Ice
Just for the fun of it.
Speculation #1: Yulia is way ahead of our time. Judges are not yet ready to appreciate the variations in her spins.
Speculation #3: The audience's cheering for her I-spins is too loud. The judges lost concentration.
Speculation #4: There is no category for I-spins. Judges cannot do anything about it.

haha not at all I completely agree with you : Rire:

Alba

Record Breaker
Just for the fun of it.

There is a category for her I spin. It's her last spin (CCoSp - [SIZE=-1]Change Combination Spin) level 4, and[/SIZE] she gets all +3 in GoE's for that spin. Maybe not all judges give her +3, and not always. But never below 2 in anycase and the majority of them gives her +3
In the SP in Barcelona she lost a level on her fist position, camel spin. That's the only time she got all +2 GoE, except for 2 judges who gave her +1, because her free knee is below hip level when she completes the 3-turn and first starts the spin. Therefore instead of 5 points like in the LP, she got 3.64 in SP.

This is the terminology for spins that might help.
http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/Spins.html

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a really cool way to learn all the spins with GIFS :)

BTW.....Yulia did get a -3 GOE in Sochi for her final spin :p

Meoima

Match Penalty
Here is a really cool way to learn all the spins with GIFS :)
BTW.....Yulia did get a -3 GOE in Sochi for her final spin :p
Ironically, best spinners are often not rewarded rightfully.
I remember Lambiel only got level 3 for his super spins because he didn't want to follow the position rule of ISU or something.

Alba

Record Breaker
Judging keystroke error. Every other judge gave her +3 ;)

Ah ok. That really must've been an error then.

I don't know what Eteri meant about the reward. If she means that Yulia should get all +3, then I agree with her to a certain extent. If she is saying the spins should get a higher BV, I'm not sure about it.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Ironically, best spinners are often not rewarded rightfully.
I remember Lambiel only got level 3 for his super spins because he didn't want to follow the position rule of ISU or something.

I agree with what you say. The rules can be a bit limiting, that's why it is so great that we have skaters who still come up with unique positions and lovely artistry.

Another picture of Yulia with Ilinykh: http://instagram.com/p/wrd56kKBm4/?modal=true
I love see her smile. :love:

Wonderful picture, I am happy that she can take it easy. Liza came back and Yulia will as well, I am positive about that.