Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 194 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

Lipea

Final Flight
Well, the program is ready since while ago. She isn't ready and that's the problem.

Do you mean the fact that she skated Juliette before? I meant they put this program too late for her to get used to it. I really don't understand when people say she is skating her old program: this a completely new one, different choreography, and the music is different too (despite it uses the same theme from Rota's R&J, but totally different arrangement and instrumentation). In any area of performance art (classical music, figure skating, ballet, etc.) it does not matter how good you are, it is always uncomfortable to perform something you have not performed before in public, and it gets much worse without enough time for preparation as it adds fear. That's why her SP and LP are in such opposite levels. Liza, Elena, Anna skated their programs on Russian open skate and/or Japan open prior to Grand Prix. That gives one the opportunity to gain confidence with the new programs in less stressful situations than GP. Julia skated only her SP, and that shows.

MalAssada

Medalist
Far from fair. I hope this judge's thoughts isn't the same as the Federation's. At the same time, I'm not sure Adelina will be ready for Worlds. If she has just gotten back to skating, well, she will have 3 months to master the program. I wish she would skip the rest of the season, both for a complete healing and to give a shot to the other girls at Worlds. Yes, she won the Olympics... Must we list Yulia's achievements? It's not because she is the Olympic champion that she should get a free pass at the expense of other very talented girls.

Alba

Record Breaker
Do you mean the fact that she skated Juliette before? I meant they put this program too late for her to get used to it. I really don't understand when people say she is skating her old program: this a completely new one, different choreography, and the music is different too (despite it uses the same theme from Rota's R&J, but totally different arrangement and instrumentation). In any area of performance art (classical music, figure skating, ballet, etc.) it does not matter how good you are, it is always uncomfortable to perform something you have not performed before in public, and it gets much worse without enough time for preparation as it adds fear. That's why her SP and LP are in such opposite levels. Liza, Elena, Anna skated their programs on Russian open skate and/or Japan open prior to Grand Prix. That gives one the opportunity to gain confidence with the new programs in less stressful situations than GP. Julia skated only her SP, and that shows.

No. I know very well that this is a new program. I'm refering to the fact that this program was made since the end of August, and she skated to that program now in all 3 competitions that she partecipated so far. A program isn't new after 4 months. It was in China, not now.
What I'm saying is, there is nothing that doesn't work in that program.
She is not ready to skate in competitions the way we all know she can, and she does it in practice in fact.

Last edited:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
No. I know very well that this is a new program. I'm refering to the fact that this program was made since the end of August, and she skated to that program now in all 3 competitions that she partecipated so far. A program isn't new after 4 months. It was in China, not now.
What I'm saying is, there is nothing that doesn't work in that program.
She is not ready to skate in competitions the way we all know she can, and she does it in practice in fact.

But they did change the layout, which is a major hardship to overcome. Changing which jumps she's doing at what point in the program basically makes it a new program. It may look similar but if you have to think about what is coming next there's no way you can relax and be confident. And as soon as you're skating it in a competitive setting for the first time and you're already rattled mistakes will start to creep in. If she had skated very clean in France and then had the changes I'm pretty sure she would have skated cleaner at GPF FS. For example the change in 3-3 did not seem to faze her at all.

2 years ago when the change to 3Lz-3T was first made for the SGP. I vaguely remember comments about how it would be tricky for her to land it consistently but even through growth and injuries in that season I don't remember her failing to land it once even when she had trouble on other jumps. During the course of writing this I've realize 3Lz-3T never seems to give her much trouble, it's always the Sal, Loop, or recently the Flip. Anyway considering what the difference between COC and TEB was like I assume that now she's made the change back to her old layout and tried it out in competition her FS at Nats will be way better judging from all previous experience.

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight
Did you see it? She herself said that she never skated it entirely clean even during the practice.

Yamita

On the Ice
But they did change the layout, which is a major hardship to overcome. Changing which jumps she's doing at what point in the program basically makes it a new program. It may look similar but if you have to think about what is coming next there's no way you can relax and be confident. And as soon as you're skating it in a competitive setting for the first time and you're already rattled mistakes will start to creep in. If she had skated very clean in France and then had the changes I'm pretty sure she would have skated cleaner at GPF FS. For example the change in 3-3 did not seem to faze her at all.

2 years ago when the change to 3Lz-3T was first made for the SGP. I vaguely remember comments about how it would be tricky for her to land it consistently but even through growth and injuries in that season I don't remember her failing to land it once even when she had trouble on other jumps. During the course of writing this I've realize 3Lz-3T never seems to give her much trouble, it's always the Sal, Loop, or recently the Flip. Anyway considering what the difference between COC and TEB was like I assume that now she's made the change back to her old layout and tried it out in competition her FS at Nats will be way better judging from all previous experience.
Thank you Isabel. I believe Yulia will do better at Nationals too. I hope she has figured out how to stay focused without thinking too much about edge calls, falls, or even winning.

Here are some new videos from her fans on YouTube. Apparently, Lipnyatas are still working hard. :) I apologize if any of them was posted before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLni2GKzNLU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shi_A30tPLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdMEIYs9v7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEkc1txKC7c

The last one is actually Sam's video. I noticed that, near the end, Yulia reached down to thank the ice (I think).

starlight97

Final Flight
New Article. What do you all make of this. Understandable in Chrome.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/767406

Well it's Alexander Lakernik speaking:rolleye:
I'm not surprised by this statement at all, I've already said so in an other thread: The federation will hand a ticket to Adelina one way or an other, if she "wants" it/ can take it. They kinda have to do that... you know.?
But this place is about Yulia so:
Our girl will have to finish top 2 in Nationals :eek:hwell: meaning she'll have to beat either Elena or Elizaveta. This sounds hard.
Especially since I love both of these girls and they earned their spots by their amazing achievements already and I can't see them bomb at nationals. ....
But I will cross my fingers for Yulia, like Alba said, I also see the problem mainly in her head.
I agree that her physical condition might not be the same as last season, but her struggle is mental imo.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Did you see it? She herself said that she never skated it entirely clean even during the practice.

More than a friend of mine saw her in practice in Barcelona, they went in a group, and I quote one of them: "The way she performed it at practice was beautiful, so if she can get over her nerves she'll be great. Hopefully she'll make the world team".
Eteri also said the same thing: "As a coach, I feel a little disappointed with the result, because at practices Yulia had shown that she is the strongest technically. She has no problem adding triple toeloop to any other jump. And she does very high quality jumps."
I don't remember Yulia saying that she never skated clean in practice.

However, a program should be ready after 4 months. How many months do you think others spent on a program, a year? Do you think Anna P. isn't doing very well either because her program too isn't ready?
Gosh, Kostner changed both programs last season after CoR and she was almost ready for Europeans and skatig superbly in Sochi, winning the bronze in both events.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
More than a friend of mine saw her in practive in Barcelona, they went in a group, and I quote one of them: "The way she performed it at practice was beautiful, so if she can get over her nerves she'll be great. Hopefully she'll make the world team".
Eteri also said the same thing: "As a coach, I feel a little disappointed with the result, because at practices Yulia had shown that she is the strongest technically. She has no problem adding triple toeloop to any other jump. And she does very high quality jumps." I don't remember Yulia saying that she never skated clean, even in practice.
However, a program should be ready after 4 months. How many months do you think others spent on a program, a year? Do you think Anna P. isn't doing very well either because her program too isn't ready?
Gosh, Kostner changed both programs last season after CoR and she was almost ready for Europeans and skatig superbly in Sochi, winning the bronze in both events.
I agree that the program is ready by now. And I don't think her team is that naive to let her go out and skate a program she couldn't skate cleanly in practice.
It's just her nerves. I have the feeling she will be better at Nationals.

Caustica

Final Flight
More than a friend of mine saw her in practive in Barcelona, they went in a group, and I quote one of them: "The way she performed it at practice was beautiful, so if she can get over her nerves she'll be great. Hopefully she'll make the world team".
Eteri also said the same thing: "As a coach, I feel a little disappointed with the result, because at practices Yulia had shown that she is the strongest technically. She has no problem adding triple toeloop to any other jump. And she does very high quality jumps." I don't remember Yulia saying that she never skated clean, even in practice.

I concur with your friends' comments - I saw her practice on the morning of the free skate and it was clean and beautiful. I really thought she was going to do well! She approached all of her jumps without hesitation and the landings were sure. I do think it's a psychological problem :(

Alba

Record Breaker

She changed the layout 3 times already, for each competition.
She had problems with her Salcow and the Flip in China too. She nailed the Salcow but had problems with her Flip and the Lutz at TEB, while in Barcelona she had problems with the Flip, again, and the first 2A (underoatated and a fall). A jump she can do with her eyes closed.

It's clear that she and her team are trying to find a solution to the problem, but problem I see is her struggling with nerves, more than anything. That can make you weak physically as well. I don't know why is that. Because she doesn't like the program (than why not change it), she forgot to compete, as she said, or because she is tired and wanted to skip the GP series? I have no idea. But I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if she has superb performance at Nationals. I know she is capable.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
I concur with your friends' comments - I saw her practice on the morning of the free skate and it was clean and beautiful. I really thought she was going to do well! She approached all of her jumps without hesitation and the landings were sure. I do think it's a psychological problem :(

Oh good. :) For a moment there I thought they were telling me a lie, because they know I'm her fan.

I agree that the program is ready by now. And I don't think her team is that naive to let her go out and skate a program she couldn't skate cleanly in practice.

This. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Lipea, please see the link below for the reason why some of us think the problem is mainly in her head.
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20141214/794832618.html
If I understand this article correctly, Yulia skates well in training. Maybe I am wrong?

Yes, you're right. Eteri basically said that Yulia is kinda stuck on the thought that she can't skate her LP cleanly. She basically landed only those jumps she 'decided' to land. Looks like Eteri thinks that Yulia prepared herself for the fail, and she failed because of that.
Then she said technically on practices Yulia is very strong, probably stronger than other GPF finalists. She can add 3T to any jump and make a combo without a problem.
And judges still give her +GOE even though technically she can do most elements much better.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, you're right. Eteri basically said that Yulia is kinda stuck on the thought that she can't skate her LP cleanly. She basically landed only those jumps she 'decided' to land. Looks like Eteri thinks that Yulia prepared herself for the fail, and she failed because of that.
Then she said technically on practices Yulia is very strong, probably stronger than other GPF finalists. She can add 3T to any jump and make a combo without a problem.
And judges still give her +GOE even though technically she can do most elements much better.
I think Eteri understands Yulia the best. I hope now that she knows the problem, she can help Yulia overcome it.