2017 GPF Men's FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's FS

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
God I have such an irrational bias against Kolyada's Elvis FS, when I just want to watch Nicolas Nadeau's all day instead. It's not at all a rational thing... more than one person can do an Elvis routine.

The thing is...it's a deli program. It needs lots of ham AND cheese. And if you hold back, it's a tepid program.

Right now, Kolyada is still holding back, so it's a tepid program. You need the full hammy cheesy goodness of personality to pull that off.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Dreadful...lackluster...mistake-riddled...congrats on your medal :rolleye:

Oh my god...a SEASONS BEST? I'm going to puke

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That was a good cheoro sequence though!

But man...I'm so conflicted, on the one hand I think quads are amazing, but on the other hand...I kinda feel like...maybe you shouldn't get more points falling on one then you would a pop.

German commentator man just mentioned Plushy! But I'm not sure what he's saying?!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
So I actually like Nathan but I don't get everyone's praise (fans, media, etc.) of this program like he's automatically in the artistic league of Javier or Yuzuru. Maybe I'm just reading too much American opinions on his program, hah.

I always look for potential, not what he did but what he is trying to do and how good it can potentially be.

This is a very challenging piece of work for someone so young, think of a really deep well. It need great execution and realisation to make it work. Look at the choreography, tonal, textual variation throughout the whole program. Intricacy. I would have expect this sort of work from the like of Patrick Chan, but not Nathen consider his standard last year... it is a huge striding forward. Whether technically success or not... artistically, he is going for the sky.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Mikhail Kolyada

Definitely finished stronger than it started. First half of the program was littered with mistakes, falls on the 4Lz and 4S as well as step-out on the 3A. But the start of the second half was very strong, with a 4T+3T, a great 3Lz combo, and standalone 3Lz. Shame on the pop on the 3Loop, though. If he didn't have that pop, he might have gone into the lead. But this will likely put into second behind Nathan.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It's... definitely the ladies doing some kind of consistency voodoo. They got all the landings this event. Everyone else has to suck it up.

The problem is that if you look at the past couple of years, I'm pretty sure the above goes for the vast majority of the figure skating events. Maybe the ladies didn't get *all* the landings, but the top certainly bring it, and the guys, well... just don't.

I wish Mikhail would bring back Jack Skellington. :sad21:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
It's truly unforgivable that Kolyada hasn't changed this FS yet.

What the hell is his coaching team thinking?

Well you know, he really doesn't seem to have a lot of range so what to change it to...?
Or maybe that's the impression because they keep giving him the same comedic tango programs.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I think Elvis music is better for a short program than a long. In the long where his best hits are stuffed together makes it feel......too long, and there is not much contrast and dynamics.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Alright Shoma, the path to the top of the podium is all cleared for you. DON'T LET THAT SLIP AWAY!!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He mentioned Plushy again! What are you saying German man?! 'Cause I like Mikhail, but he doesn't have much in common with Plushy...

Ah he's into second...I was hoping for Sergei, ah alas, alas.

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
The problem is that if you look at the past couple of years, I'm pretty sure the above goes for the vast majority of the figure skating events. Maybe the ladies didn't get *all* the landings, but the top certainly bring it, and the guys, well... just don't.

I wish Mikhail would bring back Jack Skellington. :sad21:

i blame the quads. all the men are pushing so hard to get at least one on their roster, and those that have one push to get another one up on the others and I think overall consistency suffers a lot for it