They don't need it...?

NameScoreEventLayoutBVBV
Difference
Yuzuru Hanyu223.202017 World Championships4: 4Lo 2x4S 4T103.4311.68
Yuzuru Hanyu219.482015–16 Grand Prix Final3: 4S 2x4T95.1919.92
Javier Fernández216.412016 World Championships3: 2x4S 4T94.7320.38
Yuzuru Hanyu216.072015 NHK Trophy3: 4S 2x4T95.7919.32
Nathan Chen215.082018 Winter Olympics6: 4Lz 2x4F 2x4T 4S115.110

Disclaimer: Please don't think I'm hating on Nathan here; I just like data.
right now I see Nathan vs Yuruzu, like Alina vs Evgenia. If Alina pcs can jump 15+ points in one season doing the same program but being rewarded with consistency the so can Nathan.. :D

narcissa

Record Breaker
right now I see Nathan vs Yuruzu, like Alina vs Evgenia. If Alina pcs can jump 15+ points in one season doing the same program but being rewarded with consistency the so can Nathan.. :D

Now that would be really, really sad for the sport. Unless he earns it, of course.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Caught up on Dick Button's Tweets he was harsh on Brendan, I submit he check YouTube himself for Brendan's Singin' In The Rain if he thinks Brendan's boring :p

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Nobody who has bombed as many times as Nathan can be called consistent. I won't hold my breath for that.

Icey

Record Breaker
Maybe if Nathan could have gone to the worlds he had to miss because of injury, he would have been better prepared for the pressures of the Olympics.

Artistry

On the Ice
I’m not getting into the math but just want to say - someone mentioned Sasha Cohen bombing in Torino. Maybe, but I still remember her gypsy-like program. And same with Mao at Olympics where she got silver with a huge gap behind Yuna. (Too big if you ask me). That’s because these programs were MUCH more than a series of jumps.

I’d prefer this sport continue to offer us such moments.

Same with pairs. This time around there was lots of “this is the first quad” thus or that, but I already forgot top winners. Programs with Dmitiriev and Kazakova, or Grinkov/Gordeeva, or Anton S/B still stand out in my mind.

Same with dance, like Klimova/P’s Bach free program.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
The amount of stretch I've seen here among Chen fans would give the White House PR a run for its money.

Some of the "arguments" made here makes me think certain posters don't understand how skating math works. Or how math works.

I really don't understand all the Nathan Chen haters on this thread. He's an 18 year old kid who showed amazing courage and fortitude last night to move from 17th to 5th and win the free skate. Or is it just because he's American that some want to bash him?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Maybe if Nathan could have gone to the worlds he had to miss because of injury, he would have been better prepared for the pressures of the Olympics.

Huh? He has been to Worlds, last season. I don't understand all these pointless woulda, coulda, shoulda discussions. Sport is about risk, you want to push the limits, then you will have more pressure and more potential for injury. He chose this approach and these are the consequences. That goes for everyone. You can play it safe, or you can go for broke (literally). Neither strategy guarantees you anything. If everyone was able to deliver all their planned program content every time then there would be no point in having the competition. That's not reality.

melmel

On the Ice
I really don't understand all the Nathan Chen haters on this thread. He's an 18 year old kid who showed amazing courage and fortitude last night to move from 17th to 5th and win the free skate. Or is it just because he's American that some want to bash him?

No it's the overall attitude to hype him as the next full sweeper of the field to the point to disregard the rest of said field at every big competition even though he hasn't proved yet that he can actually deliver under pressure. Whether people liked them and their skating or not, both shoma and boyang (the others new young jumping quad beans) got at least two podiums to show they can get there. And i love kolyada and think he's the one who has the most beautiful 4lz but i also don't pretend he will sweep and win everything when he's so inconsistent and i don't see other people pretending he can easily take the golds "if he had been clean the others would have stand no chance!"

Nathan has tons of potential but if he doesn't have the mind to back it up it'll stay at the level of "potential". Which i'm sure he'll get but right now he doesn't. Nothing to be ashamed, shoma had a meltdown at his first world too.

But it's a bit tiring and irritating, especially after months of hyping, to see people ready to say/imply he should have won the OGM just because of his potential plannings.

Instead of you know talking about what actually happened and was done on the ice, by Nathan and the rest of the competitors.

I don't think Nathan is finished or whatever but I also think what he does at the next worlds will be crucial to see if he's maturing or if he's going into a slump.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Well, Nathan Chen is in for massive scrutiny for the next quad as USFSA's new darling. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to this brave new world. The same scrutiny crushed Gracie Gold over the years.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
But it's a bit tiring and irritating, especially after months of hyping, to see people ready to say/imply he should have won the OGM just because of his potential plannings.

As I said before, not even the Patrick Chan ubers in 2014 bent over backwards like this to make up hypotheticals. And Chan has a much bigger claim to a coulda/woulda/shoulda OGM.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, Nathan Chen is in for massive scrutiny for the next quad as USFSA's new darling. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to this brave new world. The same scrutiny crushed Gracie Gold over the years.

I've decided to be optimistic. I'm hoping Nathan rises to the occasion at the post-Olympics Worlds like Kimmie Meissner did.

colormyworld240

Medalist
But it's a fact that if Nathan skated his 100+ SP and the same quality FS, he would have won OGM...

I know that many people say he was "only able to do it because he bombed the SP" but everything is speculative. If he could do it now, he can theoretically do it in a universe with a slightly different set of events, too.

Okay but if Yuzuru skated his 2017 worlds FS and his WR short, he still would have won... If you apply what ifs you have to apply them to everyone.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I think sometimes you shouldn't make assumptions like these about people online, especially people with degrees in the field you are so bravely berating them for. Although to be fair, arithmetic was never as strong of a suit for me as partial differential equations and complex analysis. But, carry on.

I'm just talking about TES base value. I know there's GOE and all that, but I'm just giving credit to Nathan to pushing the possible TES boundaries. And I already admitted he has tons of room for improvement artistically and in the GOE area (jump landings, transitions out of jumps, etc). That is why it's a good thing he did not OGM, since we will see much more from him in the future. And that's really exciting.

No, you're talking about base value, not TES base value. And Nathan isn't pushing TES boundaries, he's pushing BV boundaries. Yuzuru and Javi has pushed TES boundaries. It takes more than just attempting the jump; TES is how well you actually do the jump.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hello friends, just checking in from last night, as before the event ended, I went to the medical clinic to see a doctor about the strange, sharp abdominal cramps I was experiencing. Turns out that I have UTI, and while they are definitely not fun, it’s much better than premature labour or having other pregnancy related complications! I am 29 weeks along now. Thank you for all your kind words and messages of concern. :ghug:

I finally caught up on this whole entire 227+ page thread. The one thing that cracks me up the most on a personal level is how similar Shoma Uno is to my Yuzudaughter: she’s the exact type who would look dazed when her marks come up, hold her plushie backwards for photos, get confused on where to go to the podium, etc etc. Even though she’s a Yuzuber and dislikes Shoma simply for being Yuzu’s national rival, they actually have quite a lot in common. :laugh: She can also be awkward and sometimes introverted - believe it or not, I am too, at times. ;)

While I’m sad for my boy Boyang, I think the judges got the medalists right - and in the right order - on the podium.

I also bawled my eyes out during both Adam and Patrick’s programs. Despite their lack of technical arsenal and/or mistakes, they were both simply beautiful to watch. Three cheers for Keegan as well, he’s just so darling.

This will be quite a story to tell Newdaughter in a few years: how I’ll always remember watching the latter half of the 2018 Olympic men’s freeskate in a hospital waiting room because I was worried for her in utero, all while sucking the life outta my cellphone’s data plan without a care in the world regarding if I’ll end up with a ridiculously high invoice next month. :laugh: Skating is life in the SynchroFam.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well, he slayed everyone in the freeskate.... winning it by a considerable margin.

And he now holds the world record for highest TES score ever in a program. :clap:

So of course people will find reason to bash him. :laugh: :rolleye:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
No it's the overall attitude to hype him as the next full sweeper of the field to the point to disregard the rest of said field at every big competition even though he hasn't proved yet that he can actually deliver under pressure. Whether people liked them and their skating or not, both shoma and boyang (the others new young jumping quad beans) got at least two podiums to show they can get there. And i love kolyada and think he's the one who has the most beautiful 4lz but i also don't pretend he will sweep and win everything when he's so inconsistent and i don't see other people pretending he can easily take the golds "if he had been clean the others would have stand no chance!"

Nathan has tons of potential but if he doesn't have the mind to back it up it'll stay at the level of "potential". Which i'm sure he'll get but right now he doesn't. Nothing to be ashamed, shoma had a meltdown at his first world too.

Instead of you know talking about what actually happened and was done on the ice, by Nathan and the rest of the competitors.

I don't think Nathan is finished or whatever but I also think what he does at the next worlds will be crucial to see if he's maturing or if he's going into a slump.

Well, he did beat all the top contenders this season, so it made sense he would have a chance to do it again. You've got to remember that it's been a long time since the US has had a male skater that (in his understated and cool kid exterior way) appeals to the masses. Figure skating is not popular or respected, and then along comes Nathan Chen. He's super talented, super athletic and super cool, so of course he's hyped coming into the the Olympic Games. The hype of Nathan Chen has nothing to do with disrespecting the other amazing skaters in the men's event. Given that he did win the free skate, yes, he could have at least been on the podium had he not made so many uncharacteristic mistakes in the short. He did though, and the other four guys ahead of him didn't, so they are to be applauded and congratulated. I haven't seen any Chen fans here disregard what Yuzu, Shoma and Javi accomplished.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hello friends, just checking in from last night, as before the event ended, I went to the medical clinic to see a doctor about the strange, sharp abdominal cramps I was experiencing. Turns out that I have UTI, and while they are definitely not fun, it’s much better than premature labour or having other pregnancy related complications! I am 29 weeks along now. Thank you for all your kind words and messages of concern. :ghug:

I finally caught up on this whole entire 227+ page thread. The one thing that cracks me up the most on a personal level is how similar Shoma Uno is to my Yuzudaughter: she’s the exact type who would look dazed when her marks come up, hold her plushie backwards for photos, get confused on where to go to the podium, etc etc. Even though she’s a Yuzuber and dislikes Shoma simply for being Yuzu’s national rival, they actually have quite a lot in common. :laugh: She can also be awkward and sometimes introverted - believe it or not, I am too, at times. ;)

While I’m sad for my boy Boyang, I think the judges got the medalists right - and in the right order - on the podium.

I also bawled my eyes out during both Adam and Patrick’s programs. Despite their lack of technical arsenal and/or mistakes, they were both simply beautiful to watch. Three cheers for Keegan as well, he’s just so darling.

This will be quite a story to tell Newdaughter in a few years: how I’ll always remember watching the latter half of the 2018 Olympic men’s freeskate in a hospital waiting room because I was worried for her in utero, all while sucking the life outta my cellphone’s data plan without a care in the world regarding if I’ll end up with a ridiculously high invoice next month. :laugh: Skating is life in the SynchroFam.

I hope everything goes well for your pregnancy. --Glad you could catch up on this super long thread.