FS GROUP 4
Satoko Miyahara
Carolina Kostner
Kaori Sakamoto
Alina Zagitova
Kaetlyn Osmond
Evgenia Medvedeva

:think:

If Kaetlyn lets the pressure get to her after skating after Alina (which is certainly more then possible) it could work to Evgenia's benefit (providing she skates as she normally does) and give her an extra boost for looking better in comparision :confused2:

I know I'm grasping straws here but I'm really rooting for Evgenia to take the gold here :hopelessness:

colormyworld240

Medalist
I thought it's pretty close between Kaetyln and Evgenia tonight. I'm still rooting for Mirai but now that she's out of it, go Miss Osmond!

There's a little bit of schadenfreude seeing Zagitova in 1st place because she isn't in sync with the music at all, it's just an obstacle course program and her skating skills are weak. I'm secretly rooting for lesser and lesser skaters with more jumps to win all the competitions to make people realize it's time to shift the balance in the rules.

Are you kidding? She was completely in sync with her music here esp step sequence. I'm not sure we were watching the same program - at what point are her movements not timed to hit the accent? Much more than Evgenia... Not a bash at Evgenia she's a wonderful girl but at the skating itself....

As for Kaetlyn, I think she should have scored equal to or higher than Evgenia. Her jumps should have higher GOE, though the lutz should be called. And Kaetlyn's speed across the ice is amazing.

Proxy

On the Ice
Satoko's ugly, pre and underrotated jumps don't add up to +40 TES. No chance under this sun. :palmf:

I'd rather see max PCS for her where she's indeed deserving, than this technical scoring travesty. :disapp:

Satoko has small jumps but I wouldn't call anything she does ugly. She's a lovely skater. Surprised to hear Johnny Weir throw shade at her and then more surprised to hear Tara tell him to stuff it! :dance3:

:eeking: The one about Alina...

She has everything... but it's under-developed. Same for the program -- cluttered and messy, but tweaking it could do wonders.

She had the SP of her life. I could actually see her trying to emote well and hold her line -- in her messy way, but Med has had three seasons as a senior and stagnated at the same type of movement. People keep saying she's improving -- not at the rate a 2 time World Champion should.

I hope she leaves Eteri to have a wonderful career. BOrser could work wonders.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Yagudin competed for Russia but trained in Canada after splitting with Mishin. He and Hanyu are the only two to complete a Grand Slam, as well. Russian nationals... well, there’s a price to pay for leaving Russia. (I loved Yagudin.)

Zagitova is turning into The Little Matchstick Girl and... does she have parents? Does someone love her? Other than Medvedeva, anyway.

After all the genuine friendships in the men’s event, the women’s is just depressing.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Satoko's ugly, pre and underrotated jumps don't add up to +40 TES. No chance under this sun. :palmf:

I'd rather see max PCS for her where she's indeed deserving, than this technical scoring travesty. :disapp:

This. The jumps are way tiny and the GOE should be non-existent. And she pre-rotates more than 180 degrees...
That should score her way lower (and fairly) on jumps and their GOES. Then max out her PCS and spins because that's where she really shines.

Proxy

On the Ice
This. The jumps are way tiny and the GOE should be non-existent. And she pre-rotates more than 180 degrees...
That should score her way lower (and fairly) on jumps and their GOES. Then max out her PCS and spins because that's where she really shines.

If you want to mark Satoko down, then you need to give edge calls on the Russians and Kaetyln. And you need to mark down the Russian's PCS for having unbalanced programs. Deal?

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yagudin competed for Russia but trained in Canada after splitting with Mishin. He and Hanyu are the only two to complete a Grand Slam, as well. Russian nationals... well, there’s a price to pay for leaving Russia. (I loved Yagudin.)

Zagitova is turning into The Little Matchstick Girl and... does she have parents? Does someone love her? Other than Medvedeva, anyway.

After all the genuine friendships in the men’s event, the women’s is just depressing.

She does have parents but unfortunately they don't live with her. They don't see Eteri's hard attitude towards her. It's actually quite sad. I'm glad Evgenia helps her she seems to be one of the sweetest skaters ever. And best sportsmanship.

colormyworld240

Medalist
If you want to mark Satoko down, then you need to give edge calls on the Russians and Kaetyln. And you need to mark down the Russian's PCS for having unbalanced programs. Deal?

Ya I think edges should be called. Balance for me at least means to the music. So with music that builds towards the end with jumps there, I think it's fine and actually adds to it. I'm talking about Kaori and Alina. Chopin's Nocture doesn't seem like good music to have this backloading to, but I understand it's subjective so maybe there's something I'm missing.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do you know anything about the arrangement to have him skate for Canada? Did he move with his parents to Canada for a reason unrelated to skating?

I’m not 100% sure, I’m searching for some info now.

If Mango (a fellow Canadian GSer) saw this, she’d likely know more than I do and would be able to give better answers. :)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
To skate like that when you skate last at 15 years old in an Olympic competition after your biggest rival broke the WR...
Well done, Zagi!

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I’m not 100% sure, I’m searching for some info now.

If Mango (a fellow Canadian GSer) saw this, she’d likely know more than I do and would be able to give better answers. :)

Thanks I'll look for her. I am very interested in Gogolev. He was such a pleasant surprise at Canadian nationals. He is like the male version of Trusova and can be a force to be reckoned with in the JGP for Canada. :love:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She has everything... but it's under-developed. Same for the program -- cluttered and messy, but tweaking it could do wonders.

She had the SP of her life -- I could actually see her trying to emote well and hold her line -- in her messy way, but Med has had three seasons as a senior and stagnated at the same type of movement. People keep saying she's improving -- not at the rate a 2 time World Champion should.

I hope she leaves Eteri to have a wonderful career. BOrser could work wonders.

True, I’m not disagreeing that she’s very talented, and I don’t want to come off as if I was bashing. But yes, I also agree she needs to be “developed” more, especially artistically, which will come with age and maturity.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
To skate like that when you skate last at 15 years old in an Olympic competition after your biggest rival broke the WR...
Well done, Zagi!

Watching this sport for a couple of decades now, I feel like the younger and newer you are

The better you face pressure, The 14 - 16 Yr olds seem to fair better, Especially in Senior events,

Probably because they don't yet feel the gravity of what they're doing.

Proxy

On the Ice
I'll be rooting for Kaetlyn in the long program but I have to say this ladies competition is dreadful. Darn near nobody has a real connection with the music or the audience. I think Sakamoto's skate was the only one I actually enjoyed watching (missed Dabin Choi's though).

auser

Record Breaker
You walked in to the party like you were walkin’ onto a yacht ....

Sorry, the word vain always triggers me. :laugh:
Heard this song in the grocery store Sunday when I was investing in way too many snacks for Olympic SD watching. Always love listening to the Mick Jagger backing vocal and the speculation about it :laugh:.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks I'll look for her. I am very interested in Gogolev. He was such a pleasant surprise at Canadian nationals. He is like the male version of Trusova and can be a force to be reckoned with in the JGP for Canada. :love:

Heh, I just PMed her with link to this part in the thread. :)