2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies SP | Page 132 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies SP

Ophelia

Record Breaker
She has everything... but it's under-developed. Same for the program -- cluttered and messy, but tweaking it could do wonders.

She had the SP of her life. I could actually see her trying to emote well and hold her line -- in her messy way, but Med has had three seasons as a senior and stagnated at the same type of movement. People keep saying she's improving -- not at the rate a 2 time World Champion should.

I hope she leaves Eteri to have a wonderful career. BOrser could work wonders.

I am all for Zag going to Orser, and think he would make her into the next female GOAT, but the Russian fed wouldn't allow it.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
People keep saying she's improving -- not at the rate a 2 time World Champion should. I hope she leaves Eteri to have a wonderful career. BOrser could work wonders.

I'm not convinced that Orser is the solution to everyone's problem, but I do think there were coaching mistakes with Med. Her technique had issues in 2016, she markedly improved in 2017 (especially her +3T combos), but then she grew a bit and got injured and the struggle is clearer now. She's held it together because Med is really determined, but if she had a stronger jump technique I think she wouldn't had been as vulnerable to small growth or an injury. Eteri could've addressed this several seasons ago - perhaps at the cost of a junior championship or 2016 Worlds title - and she would've been in a better position here.

I also think Eteri left her vulnerable on the PCS front by doing such similar routines season after season. Imagine if Med was doing a dramatic Argentine tango? Unfairly or not - powerful music and diversity of programs helps a skaters PCS because the judges naively see "growth." I think the gap could've been kept wider if Med was given the opportunity to do a different style of program. I don't think they would've let a 15 year old get within a point if she was doing really powerful, dramatic music. Again, I think that's unfair since it should't be about who picks the most showy composer, but it matters in this sport.

lappo

Final Flight
As much as I would like a coaching change for many Russian girls, I feel like there is no way they will send them to non Russian (or non Russian born) coaches.
All the aforementioned example: Yagudin in Canada but with Tarasova; S/K with Zoueva; Masha for some tecnique adjustement with Rafael (ok, he is Armenian but has coached in Russia), countless with world touring Morozov and I'm certainly missing many of them...I think there is a reason though, because the federation is paying quite a lot of their fees.

I'm not convinced that Orser is the solution to everyone's problem, but I do think there were coaching mistakes with Med. Her technique had issues in 2016, she markedly improved in 2017 (especially her +3T combos), but then she grew a bit and got injured and the struggle is clearer now. She's held it together because Med is really determined, but if she had a stronger jump technique I think she wouldn't had been as vulnerable to small growth or an injury. Eteri could've addressed this several seasons ago - perhaps at the cost of a junior championship or 2016 Worlds title - and she would've been in a better position here.

I also think Eteri left her vulnerable on the PCS front by doing such similar routines season after season. Imagine if Med was doing a dramatic Argentine tango? Unfairly or not - powerful music and diversity of programs helps a skaters PCS because the judges naively see "growth." I think the gap could've been kept wider if Med was given the opportunity to do a different style of program. I don't think they would've let a 15 year old get within a point if she was doing really powerful, dramatic music. Again, I think that's unfair since it should't be about who picks the most showy composer, but it matters in this sport.

I said BOrser, because he's the kind of coach who "finishes" a skater. He's also really nurturing as far as I can tell, and that's what Zag needs right now, I think.

She has potential, and BOrser can work wonders, as he has with other skaters with potential before. Can fix her axels and 2A-3T and salchow, etc. etc. too.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Could only catch SP starting from Dabin. Sounds like all American ladies made a mistake and I'm not particularly keen on watching mediocre performances with falls so... uhm.

I've stayed well away from FS for a while and this would only be my first or second time watching each ladies' program. Personal opinion:

Dabin - pretty dress but was not very memorable. Preferred last year's program. Her consistency is amazing, though. I always feel relaxed going into Dabin's program knowing that she'll somehow manage a clean program once again...

Med - She can do tanos and rippons and whatnot but it doesn't change the fact that the inherent quality of her jumps aren't top notch... combo is still just as, if not more, labored than before and her posture doesn't make her skate seem any more pleasant either. I'm glad mimes are gone though and I appreciate the growth in presentation and the program itself compared to any other she's done so far.

Satoko - Still does an excellent job with carriage & arm usage in general and what a nice surprise that her jumps looked less questionable than before! Lovely layback too. However, I'm not too enthusiastic about her new program. She seemed like a delicate fairy in last year's short program, but I don't really feel much for this year's short.

Osmond - Now this program seems more familiar...! The way she jumps was a breath of fresh air after rounds of low/small, labored, questionably rotated jumps. Glad that she went clean and I hope she also goes all out for LP.

Zagitova - interesting choreography here and there. Lots of movement going on but it felt very busy at times... as if they were packed just for the sake of point-gathering purposes. Wish she'd do long drawn out soft landings

Caro - Stark contrast in maturity and presentation compared to Zagitova. Unfortunately I can't help but feel nervous every time she skates because I always feel like she'll make a mistake here and there... and sadly she did :[

Sotskova - what an unfortunate skate to finish the night (lunch/afternoon in Korea, I guess?). This program became a real snooze after the initial mistake. Ugly tanos, please drop them.

Suzzzy

Rinkside
Ungortunaly, Zhenia has no chances for OGM. That’s really sad. It was her Olympic season for sure. But Alina is great, nobody can compete when she is in her best form

treeloving

Medalist
Ok, now all I want now is for Maria to have a redemption skate.

And if Satoko can sneak into the podium I would be very happy.

If Kostner skate clean with 7 triple and 2 2A and win gold, it would be dream come true. Of course, there are more chances for snow to fall in hot tropical countries than that to happen.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
I said BOrser, because he's the kind of coach who "finishes" a skater. He's also really nurturing as far as I can tell, and that's what Zag needs right now, I think.

She has potential, and BOrser can work wonders, as he has with other skaters with potential before. Can fix her axels and 2A-3T and salchow, etc. etc. too.

Totally misread your post, thought you meant Orser for Medvedeva! :bang:

That said, so long as Zag keeps winning she'll never leave Eteri lol.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Watching this sport for a couple of decades now, I feel like the younger and newer you are

The better you face pressure, The 14 - 16 Yr olds seem to fair better, Especially in Senior events,

Probably because they don't yet feel the gravity of what they're doing.

It’s like that for figure skaters in general, regardless of being on the international circuit, or just getting started in the sport.

I didn’t start competing until I was 13 years old. I only started skating at age 9, so somewhat later than most. I trained my hardest, testing and competing throughout my four years of high school and two university years. I was a nervous wreck before competing.

Granted, Alina and Evgenia are teens themselves now, but they’ve been skating since they could walk. They grew up in it, where as I joined “as a late bloomer”.

In contrast, Yuzudaughter has been skating since age 3 and competing since age five. She’s never nervous to compete, she just goes out there, skates her program and hops off the ice with a smile on her face or a laugh - if she fell or botched an element. :laugh: Pressure and nerves don’t exist in her yet, but I’m sure as she matures, it’ll come. Self esteem, the weight of others opinions, and wanting to fit in are staples of puberty.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Why should she move to Orser when she wins everything with Eteri?:confused:

because Eteri apparently hates her guts for beating Med. if the expression on her face follows the fan theory :rofl:

I guess people are hoping its another Yagudin/Plushenko type thing where Yagudin got fed up with Mishin and moved to Tarasova igniting one of the best rivalries in men's skating history. They want a repeat with Med. and Zags :cool: Unfortunately that wish dies because it seems the girls, unlike Yags and Plushy, don't seem to have any grudges and like each other (and people thought women were the catty ones :laugh:)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone tell me why Mirai's 3A gets minus 3.00 GOE for -3 across the board, but for instance, Bradie's fall on 3Lz-3T gets minus 2.10 GOE when it also has -3 across the board?

And on a petty level, can anyone tell me why Mirai has that monster tape down her thigh, and more monster tape in the shape of an X on her back?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I came late and haven't read the whole thread yet.

Proxy

On the Ice
Could only catch SP starting from Dabin. Sounds like all American ladies made a mistake and I'm not particularly keen on watching mediocre performances with falls so... uhm.

I've stayed well away from FS for a while and this would only be my first or second time watching each ladies' program. Personal opinion:

Dabin - pretty dress but was not very memorable. Preferred last year's program. Her consistency is amazing, though. I always feel relaxed going into Dabin's program knowing that she'll somehow manage a clean program once again...

Med - She can do tanos and rippons and whatnot but it doesn't change the fact that the inherent quality of her jumps aren't top notch... combo is still just as, if not more, labored than before and her posture doesn't make her skate seem any more pleasant either. I'm glad mimes are gone though and I appreciate the growth in presentation and the program itself compared to any other she's done so far.

Satoko - Still does an excellent job with carriage & arm usage in general and what a nice surprise that her jumps looked less questionable than before! Lovely layback too. However, I'm not too enthusiastic about her new program. She seemed like a delicate fairy in last year's short program, but I don't really feel much for this year's short.

Osmond - Now this program seems more familiar...! The way she jumps was a breath of fresh air after rounds of low/small, labored, questionably rotated jumps. Glad that she went clean and I hope she also goes all out for LP.

Zagitova - interesting choreography here and there. Lots of movement going on but it felt very busy at times... as if they were packed just for the sake of point-gathering purposes. Wish she'd do long drawn out soft landings

Caro - Stark contrast in maturity and presentation compared to Zagitova. Unfortunately I can't help but feel nervous every time she skates because I always feel like she'll make a mistake here and there... and sadly she did :[

Sotskova - what an unfortunate skate to finish the night (lunch/afternoon in Korea, I guess?). This program became a real snooze after the initial mistake. Ugly tanos, please drop them.

This is a good post.

Kaetlyn's jump quality is better but I didn't like her program. I just missed Dabin's skate and started right around Sakamoto and she was the most entertaining of all.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
But the SP that got to me the most today was Satoko's.
Her movement is in total agreement with music, one enriches another, creating multi-dimentional visual; her upper body control, movement finishing, edge quality, head/arms/hands gesture and their coordination help to discover and marvel over every little musical nuance. Her musical phrasing through movement and interpretation abilities really shine in this program - she gives out that sensual mystery of the theme perfectly and leads performance to the crescendo with right tempo, expression.

If only the judges would actually reward Satoko in the Interpretation of the Music category. Ditto Composition and Performance to a lesser degree. It was so frustrating and borderline infuriating to see her get 8.50, 8.75, 9.0 from the same three judges that give out 10.0 to Med for Interpretation. :angry1:

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
The chips are on Medvedeva's side at this point for me - she is clean, judges will probably go with her. I would not count on Zagitova making mistake in her money program. But nothing is certain.

LOL. We will know it is mathematically impossible for Evgenia to beat Alina after her skate. Sochi all over again.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
There's more to a sport than winning.

True. But moving to Toronto at 15 or 16 away from all your friends and culture in order to maybe get nicer lines and improved axel technique? I just don't see a young teenager doing that, especially when what she's doing now is getting her world records and (probably) every title.