2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Who is Vadym with in his latest insta story? Is he still in MI?
I was under the impression that he was still in Moscow (he certainly was there in March)... But probably not now, especially given they speak English in the story...

A few months ago Sofia Val was in Michigan and I was hoping to hear some good news. She announced a new partnership with Nikita Vitryanyuk last week though so that's clearly not an option anymore.

I really hope both Avonley and Vadym find new partners soon.

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
I was under the impression that he was still in Moscow (he certainly was there in March)... But probably not now, especially given they speak English in the story...

A few months ago Sofia Val was in Michigan and I was hoping to hear some good news. She announced a new partnership with Nikita Vitryanyuk last week though so that's clearly not an option anymore.

Thanks! I was surprised to hear the English because I also thought he was in Russia. Haven't really been keeping up with him though so any info is good.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Hang on. Nikita has yet another partner?! :jaw:

Thank goodness I decided to change the format of the Fan Fest thread back to being primarily for him, and having additional posts for his partnerships. Because I'll be creating new threads until doomsday at this rate of going! :drama:

(And a good job that I haven't uploaded it as well. Because it will need to be re-edited!)

Do you know if they will they be representing Cyprus or Spain?

CaroLiza_fan

happycamper2554

On the Ice

Thank goodness I decided to change the format of the Fan Fest thread back to being primarily for him, and having additional posts for his partnerships. Because I'll be creating new threads until doomsday at this rate of going! :drama:

(And a good job that I haven't uploaded it as well. Because it will need to be re-edited!)

Do you know if they will they be representing Cyprus or Spain?

CaroLiza_fan

Spain

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Oh no. I haven't had any time to read about him yet and the many partnerships are not reassuring. Poor Sofia was already Linus' *fifth* partner and I was hoping it will last so now I'll have to hope even more 🙏

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Pity. Nikita turns 20 in October, and so will be aging out of Juniors soon. And Spain already has two very good Senior partnerships in Hurtado/ Khaliavin and Smart / Díaz . So, unless he and Sofia become very good very quickly, they are going to be sitting on the bench for years until one or both of the other partnerships retire or split.

At least if they had gone with Cyprus, they would only have had Kudriavtseva / Karankevich as competition in the years to come (they haven't turned Senior yet). And I would have liked Angelina and Ilia to have some competition again, as the two partnerships would drive each other forwards. Just look at how well things went during Cyprus' first season in Ice Dance, when they had Milyukova / Vitryanyuk and Kudriavtseva / Karankevich.

Oh no. I haven't had any time to read about him yet and the many partnerships are not reassuring. Poor Sofia was already Linus' *fifth* partner and I was hoping it will last so now I'll have to hope even more 🙏

The irony is, I adopted Vitryanyuk and Colmor Jepsen as singles skaters (Nikita because I had adopted the whole Cypriot Team, and Linus because I had adopted his whole family). Little did I realise that they would both go on to become Ice Dancers who went through more partners than they had hot dinners. And that they would have a partner in common.

To be fair, Nikita's first partnership with Maria Milyukova was actually a very good partnership. Although he was brand new to Ice Dance and she was a lot more experienced (despite being so much younger), they gelled very quickly and were very successful from the word go. It was such a shame that they split, because he hasn't been able to find the same magic with the partners that he has worked with since.

But, we all know that Sofia is good, so hopefully this partnership will work out for him.

CaroLiza_fan

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Pity. Nikita turns 20 in October, and so will be aging out of Juniors soon. And Spain already has two very good Senior partnerships in Hurtado/ Khaliavin and Smart / Díaz . So, unless he and Sofia become very good very quickly, they are going to be sitting on the bench for years until one or both of the other partnerships retire or split.
20 in october means he has 2 more jr seasons. Plus i expect both H/K and Adrian Diaz to retire at the end of next year. we shall see if smart tries to find a new partner. but the path is clear for them in Spain. Cyprus only has one spot for Jr worlds which will go to K/K. more opportunities in Spain for them.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Vanessa James and Eric Radford has just been announced

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Vanessa James and Eric Radford has just been announced

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

What great news to hear heading towards the summer break!

Good to see two great skaters back in action.

I take it they'll be representing Canada. Well, Vanessa was born there, so if she doesn't have a passport already, she should have no bother getting one.

Still would have loved to see her return to Team GB. But, hey, the main thing is that she's back.

And with Meagan doing the family thing, it's great that Eric has found a way to return to the ice. As a musician himself, he is so good at the interpretation and choreographing side of things.

They may be veterans, but they still have it in them.

Oh, I can't wait!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Ziotic

Medalist
:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

What great news to hear heading towards the summer break!

Good to see two great skaters back in action.

I take it they'll be representing Canada. Well, Vanessa was born there, so if she doesn't have a passport already, she should have no bother getting one.

Still would have loved to see her return to Team GB. But, hey, the main thing is that she's back.

And with Meagan doing the family thing, it's great that Eric has found a way to return to the ice. As a musician himself, he is so good at the interpretation and choreographing side of things.

They may be veterans, but they still have it in them.

Oh, I can't wait!!!

CaroLiza_fan
Meagan has expressly stated that she wishes Eric well, but that she was blind sided by this decision and was fully expecting them to do shows for the next while.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Meagan has expressly stated that she wishes Eric well, but that she was blind sided by this decision and was fully expecting them to do shows for the next while.

Ooooh. That puts a different perspective on things. I didn't realise they were still doing shows together. Having had to stop when she got pregnant, I just assumed Meagan hadn't restarted after having the wean. Hey, children that age are a handful, and don't really leave you much time to train.

Mmmm.

Well, I'm sure every retired male Pairs skater in Canada will be queueing up to become Meagan's show partner! :laugh: And, failing that, she's a pretty decent Singles skater... ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Sackie

Medalist
James/Radford is good news but kind of feel sorry for Evelyn and Trent who have been showing improvement over the last 2 years as CAN #2 and now probably won't get to go to the Olympics. Hope this doesn't cause them to quit.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Slightly off topic but ... I'm sorry but where do these "Meaghan doing a family thing" beliefs come from? Replying to a q&a in insta stories along the lines "yeah I want to have another kid or adopt one" doesn't equal to "I'm never ever gonna do shows. Who needs that income anyway. I'm gonna habe a kid right now"
She's been doing shows while pregnant. She returned to the ice a few months after giving birth to relearn jumps because in 2020 she was suppossed to skate with Eric in ice shows in Japan.
After ice rinks opened again, she immediately began training again.
She was coaching, is teaching a ton of seminars, commentates... she hardly qualifies as a housewife and stay at home mom (yeah under these circumstances you do some of these jobs at home but that's not the point).

theblade

On the Ice
Re: Meaghan, Eric, Vanessa. From my perspective, ongoing current events impacted things considerably. (Although Eric and Meaghan really needed to have a longer chat before the announcement; common courtesy and all. Given her understandable feelings and very public reaction, perhaps this is part of why he didn't speak with her, although that was the only and right thing to do. She doesn't have a stranglehold on him, but they do have a shared history and the loss of future potential income warrants the hard conversations some men - a higher ratio in pairs/ice dance, it seems - are loathe to do.)

Due to ongoing, ever-changing restrictions, openings and other issues - and Canada has had some serious training differences in lockdowns between provinces, from what I understand - you can thank the political reaction to this pandemic for part of what transpired.

Do *not* underestimate how Eric and Meaghan's prospects have changed for the short-term. If Eric and Vanessa have a year or two in them, there are no guarantees that show skating is still lucrative for the rest of 2021 or even 2022. And Eric/Meaghan live in different provinces.

I don't say this lightly. My kid had a successful tryout at a Canadian facility in February 2020 - aaaaaaaaaand then the rest of 2020 happened. So having distance between two skaters (even "only" inter-provincial) can be a huge issue.

The impact the ongoing restrictions are having on young teams getting together and pairing up is serious. We have gone through four years of tryouts and Ghostbusters comes to mind ("I have seen ***** that'll turn you...").

Entirely understanding Meaghan's perspective (as a former skater and parent of a skater), but if Eric wants to be in Montreal and not Oakville? I've been to both cities, and get that, too. Still, the convo that should've happened didn't.

This sport will break your heart. Even if you still manage World titles and Olympic medals.

Edit: turns out there was a recent conversation. Eric has given context to Meaghan's online comments:

If he's competing and she isn't, "well, there's that." So, she's not competing, living in a different province, and has a kid, and a skating school with her husband. Vanessa is in town, wants to compete. Those are the general facts. Nuances in a situation - especially in current times - are something else.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She's been doing shows while pregnant.
Meghan did shows when she was in the early stages of her pregnancy. She talked about how difficult it was, as even small weight gains messed up her balance.

The Rock the Rink tour was a major one that lasted from Oct 5 to Nov 23 2019. Meghan's daughter was born Oct 25, 2019. There is no doubt that Meghan's pregnancy prevented her from doing that particular tour. As I recall, when the RTR tour was announced, and D/R were not announced as part of the cast, Meghan announced that she couldn't do it "because of another commitment." It was only later that her pregnancy was announced, and people who remembered the earlier announcement nodded and said "ah!"