2023-24 Russian Nationals Men's Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Men's Short Program

katymay

Medalist
I think Dikidzhi is just as cocky as Malinin. I hope to see them compete against each other in the near future.
They have alot of the same skill set and distractions. Will be interesting in the future if Vlad can also get the quad axel.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh wow, now he's already getting hailed as a Malinin rival? Really I don't get the hype about that guy.
Wow! That's a lot of pressure! Hope Vlad doesn't end up too intimidated! On the other hand he might like that kind of thing :laugh:

I did enjoy his program so fingers crossed he has good FS too.

Isk

On the Ice
Yes, of course, bombing the Short was much more impactful under the 6.0 system, but to act like the phrase doesn't still apply under the IJS in at least 90% of the cases isn't right either.
In theory you can trow in seven quads in the FP and still win the competition under IJS after bombing the SP. Under 6.0 no matter what you do in the FP, you couldn't win mathematically after bombing badly enough. Also "you can't win with SP" used to mean that anyone among the top three after the SP could win the competition by winning the FP. So winning the short and placing 2nd or 3rd (or 4th) the free was usually not good enough. So, under 6.0, important thing was to be in top 3 after the short, and then to go for a win in the FP. Under IJS, if you win the SP with a comfortable enough lead, you don't need to win the FP to win the competition. So, under 6.0 this phrase had a subtle connotation that if you bomb the SP, you have no chance whatsoever, whereas if you win it, you usually still have to win the FP to ensure gold. Under IJS this phrase lost this subtle connotation, and became kind of a fact statement rather than aphorism. We need to come up wit a new phrase. :)

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Just for comparison, Zhenya's first Nats a few years ago. It was also held in Chelyabinsk.

Чр21.png

Pity about the q-call but I'm glad he won't be skating last tomorrow. Zhenya did his maximum in non-jumping elements and presentation. Last year he did the jumps, but nerves affected everything else.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Maybe the fact that she can now travel to competitions (she couldn't before due to bad health) has affected Zhenya too?

Honestly I wouldn't say too much right now, the free skate is still to come... But today was great, it was a very complete performance from start to finish.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I really, really can't with Dikidzhi... if Zhenya does not win this please let it be Gumennik or Aliev... (I think the others are out of contention.)

Pairluv

Final Flight
Where do you get that information?

I watched an interview with him after one of the stages and he seemed humble.
Cocky in the sense of confidence and competitiveness on the ice. That's half the battle in skating. It doesn't matter how skillful the skater is if they don't have competitive nerves. See Kevin Amyoz for a perfect example of one who does not. Or Kolyada. Or so many others. But, Vlad needs to work on raising his PCS scores. If he does, he's competitive with the top men in the world and hopefully he'll get the opportunity to skate on the same ice.

icewhite

Record Breaker
But Dikidzhi's 4Lz was just awesome. Best quad of the day.

Oof, I don't care that much about tough jumps anyway... I mean some of my favourite skaters are guys like Aymoz and Kolyada... but even if one does... the rest of his landings were pretty shaky. Not terrible, but absolutely not deserving those GOE. And although I found him much better, with a lot more fire and pace than before, the program is still rather simple. I don't know about his planned jump content for the free, but his FS bv so far was not suuuper high. Like, I'm not a great fan of Malinin, but I can see that his jump content is absolutely incredible. I don't even see that with Vlad.

Reactions: Isk