Nice Article About Elizabeth Manley | Golden Skate

Nice Article About Elizabeth Manley

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think I read this article months ago. But it's interesting to bring up Liz when people are engaged on another thread about Katarina Witt and of course Debi Thomas, whose rivalry got all the attention in 1988 Olympics but it was Elizabeth Manley who stole the show, winning the Free Skate and the Silver medal. :thumbsup:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think I read this article months ago. But it's interesting to bring up Liz when people are engaged on another thread about Katarina Witt and of course Debi Thomas, whose rivalry got all the attention in 1988 Olympics but it was Elizabeth Manley who stole the show, winning the Free Skate and the Silver medal. :thumbsup:

Actually Midori was there too and also got a bigger ovation than either Kati or Debi.

She skated the best in the LP despite the way the judges scored them.

She sure did! It was wonderful, after the tension of watching Katarina and Debi, to see such pure exuberance out of Liz. And for her to have the skate of her life at an Olympics on home soil...can it get better than that. Between her and Wilson/McCall, and Orser doing such a beautiful job (just because Boitano slipped in a hairsbreadth ahead of him doesn't take away from the magnificence of Orser's performance), it was a glorious moment for Canada.

silverpond

On the Ice
Elizabeth's freeskate at Calgary was amazing! It was the best competitive performance of her life, and she did it in front of her countrymen/women. I still remember the white cowboy hat that was tossed onto the ice after her long program, and how she put the hat on, raced into her coach's arms, and pumped her fists in triumph. She won the free skate and narrowly lost the gold medal to Katarina Witt.

Did anyone read her book, "Thumbs Up"? Manley wrote that her press conference following her short program was poorly attended, but the press conference following her long program was a media circus. Many people had no clue who she was, how this "half-pint nobody from Canada" (her quote) managed to steal the show and outskate both Witt and Thomas.

She also wrote that the following day, when she was walking into the arena with her coach to practice for the exhibition, several of the maintenance workers recognized her, dropped their brooms and mops, and applauded. She said she was very moved.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am such a huge Liz Manley fan. Thanks for this. I will always remember Liz at the Calgary Olympics. As she says she was the underdog and no one expected her to even make the top flight of skaters let alone win a medal!! What a wonderful moment she brought to the hearts of Canadians when she wound up with the Silver medal. I am so happy to hear that she is married and doing so well. Liz has always been a fighter, despite all her ups and downs in life. No wonder she skated away with the Silver at Calgary. The girl has "spirit."

:biggrin:

silverpond

On the Ice
I am such a huge Liz Manley fan. Thanks for this. I will always remember Liz at the Calgary Olympics. As she says she was the underdog and no one expected her to even make the top flight of skaters let alone win a medal!! What a wonderful moment she brought to the hearts of Canadians when she wound up with the Silver medal. I am so happy to hear that she is married and doing so well. Liz has always been a fighter, despite all her ups and downs in life. No wonder she skated away with the Silver at Calgary. The girl has "spirit."

:biggrin:

My pleasure, Ladskater. I, too, always admired Elizabeth's technical ability and her determination to compete well. Her silver medal win at Calgary was fantastic, and it could not have gone to a more deserving skater. You go, girl!

heyang

Record Breaker
Great to hear that life is getting better for her. Losing both parents to protracted illness was probably just exhausting to her in all ways.

The 'show' ounds like it could be great....

"Having left the professional show circuit four years ago, Manley-Theobald has been asked to skate in a major show in Atlantic City on Dec. 3.

Billed as The Legends of Women’s Skating, the event is to be turned into a two-hour special to be shown on NBC on New Year’s Day.'