2014-2015 Programs by Discipline | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 Programs by Discipline

Alba

Record Breaker
As much as I dislike Phantom, as well as I love Bolero (mostly thanks to Ravel), I would rather listen to 4 versions of Phantom than 4 versions of Bolero. As you know, at least Phantom has various sessions for the skaters to choose. On the other hand, Bolero is just monotonous. :bang: How can we stand 4 versions with repetitive phrase "la la la la la la...." of Bolero, in the same competition?:unsure:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm with you.

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm with you.
Yes. I mean, seriously, do you know the story of Bolero debut? Ravel smiled widely when an audience screamed something like: "This (Bolero) is madness, it is madness." She understood the piece very well. Ravel said so. :laugh: how can one stands 4 versions of Bolero since they all sound the same??

Anyways, from Yuzuru's thread. The final music cut will be different for sure. But the editor used the most common session:

The kind uploader in Dailymotion edited the several news clips of Yuzu's Phantom into a new video accompanied by music. Thus we may preview his program more smooth. Thank @yusu01207 and enjoy everyone!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23356e_yuzuru-hanyu-%E6%96%B0%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD-%E7%B7%B4%E7%BF%92%E3%81%BE%E3%81%A8%E3%82%81_sport

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes. I mean, seriously, do you know the story of Bolero debut? Ravel smiled widely when an audience screamed something like: "This (Bolero) is madness, it is madness." She understood the piece very well. Ravel said so. :laugh:

:laugh:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What they SHOULD DO is "The Phantom Bolero strikes Carmen back"
Surprised no one thought of it. Hanyu... if anyone can do it 'NYU CAN!!! 4S all the way baby OGM! I Believin' NYU!

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I have never seen a Phantom program that I liked but some promising skaters are trying this tired music so maybe there's a first time for everything and I'll actually like one of the programs (but I doubt it).

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Back in CY 2000, Daniel was doing his prelim free skate to Johnny Quest and Hanna-Barbara's Lawyer send us a letter stating we could not use it
He was about 8 and had been watching johnny quest for a couple of years
I still have the letter.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for the hint, golden 411. I am mostly working on a tablet these days and editing is a bit trickier for me.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I got the info from the FSRussia.ru forum - they have a thread just like this one talking about the new programs and there was quite a bit of commentary about him using Bolero. I guess we will see if it's true in a couple weeks, at the test skate.

Bolero is my most hated of all warhorses. I wasn't into skating when Plushy used it, and it's definitely not one my favorites of his, but that was many years ago & there have countless more Bolero programs since then. If it was played out then...it's even more played out now. Like Meoima said, it's just monotonous and there isn't really much you can do to spice it up (particularly for a singles skater). At least with Carmen or Phantom, you can really get into character and sell it.

Anyway, I'll try to keep an open mind...I'm mostly indifferent to Kovtun and that probably won't change.
I find the Bolero music... I dunno, kinda weird. I'd prefer POTO or Scheherazade or Carmen if I absolutely had to choose. Of course T/D did a legendary Bolero, but it's a certain kind of magic that can't be copied. I'm not a fan of Plushy's Bolero... the choreography as weird, on top of me finding the music itself kinda weird, and the whole thing was just... :unsure:

I think it works okay in Liza's SP, purely because she wasn't skating a typical Bolero (I know there were complaints that she seemed to be skating to something else entirely, but doing a classic Bolero would've invited unfortunate Kostner comparisons, in addition to being tedious). Kovtun doing Bolero amuses me though. :popcorn: I can't think of a piece that's less fitting for him, and at the very least we might get some laughs. Will he try to skate sexy? :think:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back in CY 2000, Daniel was doing his prelim free skate to Johnny Quest and Hanna-Barbara's Lawyer send us a letter stating we could not use it
He was about 8 and had been watching johnny quest for a couple of years
I still have the letter.
I'm a lawyer, and that's just sad. :slink: Kind of like Prince's people, who run around taking his music down from the internet postings of Jason's SP (don't know about Mae Berenice). Prince should be thrilled that anyone under 50 thinks he is relevant. I say that as somebody over 50.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes it is sad. It is like whomever owns the rights to John Lennon's So This Is Christmas song. Four years ago, they took down a YouTube video of my 11 year old grandson playing the acoustic guitar and singing the song.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It is like whomever owns the rights to John Lennon's So This Is Christmas song. ...

Michael Jackson famously had bought all the Beatles rights ... and AFAIK, they still belong to MJ's estate.
Quick Google search indicates that the rights eventually will return to Sir Paul McCartney.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but I don't recall whether Jackson bought the rights to Lennon's solo songs produced after he left the Beatles, or whether Yoko Ono retains ownership of those.

elee63

Final Flight
Holy crap, is he serious? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. :cry: He'll probably win anyway because he'll still have enough firepower even if he falls multiple times... but I don't want him to become the new Patrick Chan. Why not 4Lo, 4T, plus current layout, if he's so gung-ho about adding difficulty?

POTO isn't a stellar choice (too many of them, people...), but next to the jump layout, it almost looks sane. I hope it's a darker program than what he's been skating so far.

Isn't the loop a jump that's prone to getting mark UR? That's just a conjecture, and sure, a URed loop might be better than a fall on the 4salchow. Who knows.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, but I don't recall whether Jackson bought the rights to Lennon's solo songs produced after he left the Beatles, or whether Yoko Ono retains ownership of those.

Oooops ... sorry for my mistake, Doris. I think you are right -- unlikely that Lennon's own stuff was lumped in with MJ's purchase of the Beatles catalogue.

p.s. I have deleted the obsolete portion of my post before that one. Thx again for wrangling all the piecemeal updates in this thread into the convenient reference lists on Page 1.