2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs FS 11/22 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs FS 11/22

peg

Medalist
Moore-Towers plans to compete for TWO more Olympic cycles, according to my understanding -- whereas Moscovitch sees himself competing for "only" one more.

M-T opted to find a new partner who would be in for the long haul with her.

Yes, that's right. Kirsten wants to do two more Olympics, whereas Dylan would only commit to one. So she went and found a younger partner.

I kind of hope that this quad, Dylan and Lubov leave MT/M 2.0 in the dust, and then after he retires, then she can have her turn ;)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Yes, that's right. Kristen wants to do two more Olympics, whereas Dylan would only commit to one. So she went and found a younger partner.

I kind of hope that this quad, Dylan and Lubov leave MT/M 2.0 in the dust, and then after he retires, then she can have her turn ;)

Seeing as how I/M already beat MT/M2.0 in just their first international competition this weekend, with much less time together, I think this scenario is completely possible!

Luba and Dylan are incredible together. Can't wait to see how they grow together.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Seeing as how I/M already beat MT/M2.0 in just their first international competition this weekend, with much less time together, I think this scenario is completely possible!

Luba and Dylan are incredible together. Can't wait to see how they grow together.

I/M and M-T/M were not competing head to head, so "beat" is not the right word.

And don't forget that Moore-Towers lost training time b/c of her injury.

Best to both pairs.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist

Well, you can't directly compare scores from different competitions.... but yes, I do think it's possible.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well, you can't directly compare scores from different competitions.... but yes, I do think it's possible.

No you can't compare scores, but you can compare the skating, and I think I/M look better overall and more polished than Mt/M2.0. Nationals will be interesting.

peg

Medalist
No you can't compare scores, but you can compare the skating, and I think I/M look better overall and more polished than Mt/M2.0. Nationals will be interesting.

I didn't see their Warsaw Cup skate, but I'm glad they looked good. :)
Yes, Nationals will be interesting.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Why do world records in FS exist if you can't compare competitions against each other?

Last edited:

skatemouse

On the Ice
Moore-Towers plans to compete for TWO more Olympic cycles, according to my understanding -- whereas Moscovitch sees himself competing for "only" one more.

M-T opted to find a new partner who would be in for the long haul with her.

The problem can be that none of us knows our future. Injuries, life in general. It is better not to plan life out at 8 years in advance. Yes do what is best for you but not based on what is to come in 8 years? If you have a good thing going don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just a thought.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In any case, Kirsten will be the one who will ultimately be responsible and bear the winnings/consequences for any decision she makes. I'm sad they spilt, but again, I'm glad that it allowed the opportunity for another skater to come back to competition.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
The problem can be that none of us knows our future. Injuries, life in general. It is better not to plan life out at 8 years in advance. Yes do what is best for you but not based on what is to come in 8 years? If you have a good thing going don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just a thought.

Exactly. She could have been winning grand prix this season with Dylan instead of finishing in 6th-7th place. There is probably more to her decision than wanting to compete longer than Dylan...

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Exactly. She could have been winning grand prix this season with Dylan instead of finishing in 6th-7th place. There is probably more to her decision than wanting to compete longer than Dylan...

There was some drama earlier this year on K-M/M1.0's FB with Kristen's mom going on some rant about not knowing the full details about their falling out when someone complained about a "premature breakup". No one will ever truly know I guess.

I'm just curious to see them compete against each other in the same competition, which will be Canadian nationals. :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In any case, Kirsten will be the one who will ultimately be responsible and bear the winnings/consequences for any decision she makes. ....

Thx for being the voice of reason, Mrs. P.

Do not understand the criticism from others of M-T and her prerogative to take a longer-term view.

For those fixated on the shorter term: I would not blame M-T if the lack of clear-cut success with Moscovitch against Duhamel/Radford was at the back of her mind when she made her decision to move on.

There was some drama earlier this year on K-M/M1.0's FB with Kristen's mom going on some rant about not knowing the full details about their falling out when someone complained about a "premature breakup". No one will ever truly know I guess.

I'm just curious to see them compete against each other in the same competition, which will be Canadian nationals. :popcorn:

IIRC, the break-up of the partnership was amicable on a personal level, although M-T's decision to walk away on a professional level surprised Moscovitch.

So your usage of "falling out" seems wrong to me. Your post did not put quotes around those words -- so I assume they are not directly from Mama M-T.

Anyway, agree that none of us will ever know the full details.

And agree that Nats will be interesting. Hope that M-T will have no further interruptions to training for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't understand all the hatred for Kirsten or her decisions. I still haven't caught up on their LP here, but they turned in a solid SP at Skate Canada, and lost most of their points due to getting the death spiral invalidated.

I much prefer watching her with Dylan, but it's hardly time to declare the new M-T/M a bust. And frankly, though I liked M-T/M v.1, it didn't look like the judges did. Maybe she felt like that partnership had hit a wall.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Do not understand the criticism from others of M-T and her prerogative to take a longer-term view.

I think Kirsten had every right to switch partners or to try what she thought was a good long term strategy. I think people are just commenting on (1) the fact that she looks bitterly disappointed to not be putting out the level of performances and getting the scores and results she was getting last year and (2) that dumping your partner because you want to go to an Olympics that is EIGHT years away is inherently risky- a career ending injury could happen long before then, teams that are currently novices/juniors in Canada now could end up lighting up the world and passing a 27-30 year old Kirsten, Marinaro could decide that it's not working for him or change his mind about skating for 8 more uears. It's just an eternity in skating and she seemed to say that she wants 2 more Olympics like it's a given instead of an extremely uphill climb for any skater. I don't think it's overly critical to say that it might not be. At the same time, it's silly to write off MT/M 2.0 this season. They're just starting. It's only the rarest of teams in the right field that's a factor immediately.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think Kirsten had every right to switch partners or to try what she thought was a good long term strategy. I think people are just commenting on (1) the fact that she looks bitterly disappointed to not be putting out the level of performances and getting the scores and results she was getting last year and (2) that dumping your partner because you want to go to an Olympics that is EIGHT years away is inherently risky- a career ending injury could happen long before then, teams that are currently novices/juniors in Canada now could end up lighting up the world and passing a 27-30 year old Kirsten, Marinaro could decide that it's not working for him or change his mind about skating for 8 more uears. It's just an eternity in skating and she seemed to say that she wants 2 more Olympics like it's a given instead of an extremely uphill climb for any skater. I don't think it's overly critical to say that it might not be. At the same time, it's silly to write off MT/M 2.0 this season. They're just starting. It's only the rarest of teams in the right field that's a factor immediately.

I for one give Moore-Towers enough credit for basic intelligence to assume that she realizes that 2022 would not be a "given" for her or for any athlete.
But I have no problem with her being unafraid to think eight years ahead.

I would remind her critics that four years also is quite a length of time, and it also is not a "given" that remaining with Moscovitch until 2018 would have ensured any World or Olympic medals -- or even another Canadian title. (As I said above, I think Duhamel/Radford were very bothersome thorns in M-T/Moscovitch's sides.)
To borrow your language:
Sticking with "your partner because you want to go to an Olympics that is" four "years away is inherently risky- a career ending injury could happen long before then, teams that are currently novices/juniors in Canada now could end up lighting up the world and passing a" 22-26 year old Kirsten and 30-34 year old Dylan; Moscovitch" could decide that it's not working for him or change his mind about skating for" four "more [y]ears."​
Presumably she weighed the pros and cons on all sides before making her decision.

Moore-Towers herself already has been injured this season. Impossible to know how M-T/Moscovitch would have fared in GPs this year had they remained together.

Last edited:

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I for one give Moore-Towers enough credit for basic intelligence to assume that she realizes that 2022 would not be a "given" for her or for any athlete.
But I have no problem with her being unafraid to think eight years ahead.

I would remind her critics that four years also is quite a length of time, and it also is not a "given" that remaining with Moscovitch until 2018 would have ensured any World or Olympic medals -- or even another Canadian title. (As I said above, I think Duhamel/Radford were very bothersome thorns in M-T/Moscovitch's sides.)To borrow your language:
Sticking with "your partner because you want to go to an Olympics that is" four "years away is inherently risky- a career ending injury could happen long before then, teams that are currently novices/juniors in Canada now could end up lighting up the world and passing a" 22-26 year old Kirsten and 30-34 year old Dylan; Moscovitch" could decide that it's not working for him or change his mind about skating for" four "more [y]ears."​
Presumably she weighed the pros and cons on all sides before making her decision.

Moore-Towers herself already has been injured this season. Impossible to know how M-T/Moscovitch would have fared in GPs this year had they remained together.

Well Duhamel/Radford are still there, and it's not with a new partner that she will beat them in the near future. And there are no guarantees that MT/M2.0 will even make the world team this year. Séguin/Bilodeau got higher marks than them with junior programs, and Dylan and Lubov and Purich/Wolfe are coming along well and got similar marks at their events.

Anyway it was her decision and she will have to live with the fall out, good or bad. It will be quite a battle for those 3 world spots at Nationals.

peg

Medalist
I
I have no doubt that she gave this a lot of thought and it wasn't a rash decision. I just feel badly for Dylan because he had little choice in the matter. And so I wish him more success in the upcoming quad. But I like her too, so I wish her great success in the quad after that :)

fairly4

Medalist
Okay who impressed me was the team who finished last, why for some reason I can't think of I watched them. Ziegler/Keifer from Austria.

they are fluid and young, hopefully they will continue to grow.

Congrats to all medalist. Good job to all.

I have a question, at what time, point does a partner not trust the partner. Because it seem like Ziegler/Keifer was out of sync or maybe
Ziegler questions him . the look on her face after the death spiral, we couldn't figure out if he dropped her, or she pulled up suddenly.
but if works out kinks in our view they could become good and whole lot better .

Also didn't James like the scores or her partner-she said something and he made a face on James/Cipres.

great job all.
Stoblova/Klimov--great skate
great job