2015 NHK Ladies Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Ladies Free Skate

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Sorry for the hater mood, but Asada's falls are more graceful than Hicks' FS :gaah: ok, I'm done with this :laugh:

Good luck at the GPF for all the ladies who qualified! Let's see clean programs there! :peace:
I'm sorry for Liza but considering her form this season, maybe it's better like this. I hope she'll come back stronger :) I'm still looking forward for the battle of 3A

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Protocol time: Mao messed up both her flips which is worrisome - it usually is such a stable jump for her. Good things: 3Lz with only a "!" :hap10: and the 2A-3T ratified again. Overall this season she had ratified two clean 3A, one 3F-3L and a 3Lz with only "!" and no "e". She needs to put it together now as she prove she can do it. Now I really believe she can be the first skater to land all 6 triples in one program now that she has can sort of do a true lutz, considering that Liza took out her 3Loop. I don't know why but I am feeling optimistic about her chances - maybe not this season, but I think at some point she'll do it

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Now Mao can say she is a two-time grand prix bronze medalist! Her last bronze medal was back in 2006 Skate America. :dance2:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Hopefully this means Japanese media starts showering Satoko with some more support! Councidentally, 1st and 3rd for both Men's and Ladies' are Japanese. Nice! This might be the only GP event without a Russian lady on the podium?

Mao seems disappointed, but knowing her it's probably more disappointed by herself. It's okay, Mao. <3

Congrats to all the ladies, and hopefully Ashley, Mao and Satoko do better at GPF! :)

Mao, cheer up! You have your first ratified 3Lz since 2008-2009 season in an ISU event! Go and celebrate:hap10:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Sooo ...

with the Americans doing well in North America,

the Russians doing well in Russia,

and the Japanese doing well in Japan ...

what expectations do we have for Boston?

:think:

petitebrie

On the Ice
Come through Satoko! She is really growing into her programmes so far, and I think this is one of the more well-choreographed pieces this season. There’s always something to look at and it’s very finely tuned with the music.

I agree with those who compared Hicks to Tonya Harding in the SP thread. She is so powerful, it's like she completes the rotation a foot or so up in the air!

paperhearts

Final Flight
Satoko was absolutely beautiful both yesterday and today-- she might not be at the top with big jumps, etc, but she seems to be doing her best. She's a bit like Rika in that they both lack one thing most look for in a champion, so they're taking the route by staying consistent. :) Japanese Nats will be more interesting than last season, surely. Congrats Satoko!

Courtney, despite mistakes, was okay and I do think she deserved to be on the podium. Well done! Hopefully she pushes herself to do even better at Nats.

Mao was off, probably sick, but still considering she is in her comeback season, that's not too bad. I honestly thought she would continue her unbeaten record from the last 2 seasons she's competed at the GP but eh, hopefully she does better at GPF. I've got full faith in her, I know she can do it. :)

Good to also see Anna pull up from last place-- hopefully it gets her confidence back up a bit. :) Mirai was also great! Good to see her skate so well this comp. Zijun, too, hopefully keeps the momentum up to Worlds.

Quite anticlimactic after the men's, though... Regardless, congrats once more! Unofficially 2 Japanese, 2 American, and 2 Russians in the GPF.

EDIT: Also, I checked. This is the only GP event with no Russian lady on the podium.

Last edited:

paperhearts

Final Flight
Mao, cheer up! You have your first ratified 3Lz since 2008-2009 season in an ISU event! Go and celebrate:hap10:

Really? Yes! That's great news! :hap93: Finally! Goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can change what others consider impossible. Congrats!

karlowens2

On the Ice
Boy, looking at the judges detail, No 10+ scores. Haven't seen scores this low in an international event snce I don't know when. In LP not so much falling to execute. Aside from Myahara all top skaters had carrot-double carrots. The price of carrots just shot up on the world market!

It's all so weird I'm not going to fret. Unusual for Ashley to mess up Moulin - but it's out of her system how?

Last edited:

leafygreens

Final Flight
Show of hands: who thought Courtney would beat Mao and Ashley, and Ashley wouldn't be on the podium? :laugh::shocked:

andyjo24

Medalist
I'm sorry if that's not allowed but maybe someone who skates or knows someone who does can answer this. Do the girls actually wear a sports bra, or is the bra sort of sewn into the dress?(I'm a girl, so I hope that question is ok..)

Seriously somebody tell me how Hicks is over Wagner and Asada?

It's because she knows how to rotate her jumps. Asada and Wagner did not rotate today.

randomfan

Record Breaker
That was very unexpected. My predictions are destroyed again, but knowing that nobody expected this, it makes me feel better. :biggrin::devil:

1. Satoko - Like I said, her mental toughness is unbelievable. Simply amazing. I seriously love this program and it's my current favourite program of the season. And it was so great to see her perform it well in her home country. Only a small stumble on the first combo, but other than that the program was simply magical. Satoko won this by 19.99 points, which means that the leader did extremely well. I'm so happy to be seeing her at the GPF!
2. Courtney - I was shocked at first that she was ahead of both Mao and Ashley. But now that I look at the protocols, I do kind of understand why. Mao was very off today in all of her elements (including the step sequence - yes a surprise) and Ashley's downgrades were very costly. Courtney made mistakes too, but she managed to rotate everything and not get ! calls, which the other two did have. Nevertheless, I'd like to congratulate Courtney, but honestly she was really lucky here.
3. Mao - Is she sick? She looked a bit ill during the whole time she was on the camera. Anyways, yeah, everything was pretty off. Even the judges discovered it and made her step sequence a level 3. Rather than talking about her showing for this program, I'd just like to say that I hope she rests a lot before the GPF so that she could show all of us that she is not done yet. I'm still cheering, Mao! :cheer:
4. Ashley - After doing so well in SC, I never even dreamed that Ashley would be off the podium. After yesterday's short, I predicted that she was going to do pretty decently, at least enough for a podium finish. But as soon as I saw her miss the 3-3 today, my instincts told me that she will probably make another costly mistake in the second half. I hope that she rests well until the GPF as well.
5. Mirai - I'm so happy for her! Once again she skates well, and in the same event. Again the GOE was unacceptable, but this time it was only for the spins IMO. What they gave for everything else was about right. But what's important is that she had such a great showing here! I would have placed her higher if I could, but regardless, I really enjoyed her at this event.
6. Haven't watched Kaetlyn yet...I'll watch her soon.
7. Zijun - I was honestly a bit shocked at her score. She did deserve a couple of URs, but I did not expect the overall score to be that low. Earning a 49 in TES for a performance with no falls or step-outs must be pretty hard to accept.
8. Again, I haven't watched Alena's free yet...but judging from the results, I'm not sure if I should anymore...
9. Anna - I watched her during the break, and although it was still a flawed performance, it was good seeing her at least redeem herself by a bit. Anna will not be going to the final, so I hope she takes this break to rest and prepare for nationals. It would be great to see her on the world team again!

So now I think the qualifiers are as follows:
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Gracie Gold
3/4. Elena Radionova/Satoko Miyahara (I don't know who wins the tiebreaker)
5. Mao Asada
6. Ashley Wagner

I hope everyone rests well and brings their best selves to the GPF!

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Missed the event, just looked at the results. To say I am surprised, is an understatement. :laugh:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Boy, looking at the judges detail, No 10+ scores. Haven't seen scores this low in an international event snce I don't know when. In LP not so much falling to execute. Aside from Myahara all top skaters had carrot-double carrots. The price of carrots just shot up on the world market!

It's all so weird I'm not going to fret. Unusual for Ashley to mess up Moulin - but it's out of her system how?

Hick's didn't go farming with them, she left carrot-less :handw:

And Satoko had her 2A<

Last edited:

leafygreens

Final Flight
Ashley hasn't been off a GP podium since 2011. Maybe there's hope for her at GPF. She entered last year in 6th, and was 6th after SP and still got 3rd overall.