2015 NHK Ladies Free Skate | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Ladies Free Skate

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I don't want to get into too much complaining about the scores, but I really feel the need to say Mirai has been scored way too low IMO. The 3F-3T looked fine to me, and the technical panel seemed to be harsher to her than to Mao, Ashley and Satoko. Except for Satoko, I also felt she had the best performance of the event. I hope she manages to keep this form and slowly builds up her reputation again. Glad she smiled and looked happy and proud though in the K'n'C.

karlowens2

On the Ice
So, Ashley missed opening combo in both programs. She must bullet proof this. Can't afford at GPF and Worlds to do this and have chance at podium.

Hicks has such power and spring in those jumps. If she could get them a little more under control she would come up significantly in the standings. She's statuesque - not an advantage in figuire skating scoring. She could capitalize on this as a warrior typle. Turn it into an advantage. With those powerful jumps she looks like a bigger version of Midori Ito. Is she woking on 3A?

Last edited:

Plumededragon

Medalist
We have seen skaters being so-so in GP, and doing big in GPF... hey, remember Yuzu last year? With his accident? (thank goodness nothing like this happened this year).

Satoko really has strong mental and has improved in speed and expression. Yes, her jumps are still small, but you guys see how fast she rotates them. Hell, if she was jumping higher... well, someone will have to say "Welcome to the Quad Squad, Satoko!" :laugh2: But honestly, Satoko jumping quads would be the craziest thing to see, I'd LOVE it, lol!
She'll need to improve her technique for higher jumps, and it's been reported before that she IS working on that, but I doubt we'll see that for this season, as it can take quite some time... maybe next year? Well, who knows. I may be wrong and maybe we'll see better jump in GPF or Nat's. We'll see.

Congrats Tiny Princess! Well deserved victory! :cheer:

And Mao, please rest well! We want you on top health asap.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I have not seen the FS yet but I just adore Courtney's programs this year especially her LP.
She is one of my favourite skaters right now.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Okay.... yay Satoko for winning, I hope Mao's fine, I don't think I'll ever warm up to Hicks, and sad for Wagner and Artemieva... and at least Pogo moved up a bit?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
sorry..... but it were the worst GP (ladies) event so far
Hope GPF will be better.

My thoughts exactly. And TEB situation only makes it worse..They could have given top overall skaters a chance at other competition or something. So Chan is in, Liza is out. Wonderful:-/

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
7. Zijun - I was honestly a bit shocked at her score. She did deserve a couple of URs, but I did not expect the overall score to be that low. Earning a 49 in TES for a performance with no falls or step-outs must be pretty hard to accept.

Yeahh funny thing is Zijun and Maria's score are the 2 lowest FS out of 12 skaters here who just happen to ALSO have the least PCS awarded as well. Consider they are typically among the more artistic skaters with good programs with lovely presentation. It just goes to show PCS is a mystery still and somehow the overall PCS inflation last season separate the ladies field alittle bit too much for the competition to be competitive if they want to compete on PCS as well. Satoko's PCS used to be around Zijun's and Mirai's level , is she really more than 10 points better today, and Zijun really that worse than before? Is Satoko today really 4 points better than at wc 2014 Miss Saigon? I thought Zijun did great, UR aside, I guess I just don't know what to say... i guess the idea Courtney wins NHK will be too much of a nightmare for the hosts? :coffee:!!

Good for Satoko to win, but the protocol always looks funny to me.

I also want to congratulate Courtney, that is a great result for her.

Last edited:

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Ugh how disappointing. Mao should really keep her **** together or else there is no way she's beating medvedeva and radionova. Just disappointing

IleK

On the Ice
Sooo ...

with the Americans doing well in North America,

the Russians doing well in Russia,

and the Japanese doing well in Japan ...

what expectations do we have for Boston?

:think:

Well, I definetely expect a medal for Ashley. And Gracie would surely have something to say about it. So, as you said, the americans should do good in Boston. They can do it because they already proved it. If only Ashley would skate like she did at SC and Gracie at SA. I think I never saw Ashley skate a worse LP, I totally didn't expect this, she was always in a good mood and very determined when coming from behind. Today she was not herself at all but even so I liked her program, more than I liked it last year.
If it wasn't for Ashley's meltdown, the americans would have made their best GP together. 3 americans in top 5 and no russians. There is still something I don't get it. If Ashley didn't put the 2T after the second 2A because she wasn't sure if to put there the 3T or not, than why didn't she put it somewhere else, after her 3Loop for example. That was really a stupid and costly mistake. She could have gotten the bronze medal because Mao was even more not herself today and if this competition wasn't in Japan I am not sure she would have been placed 3rd (I am sad because it is the first time in a long time Ashley didn't medal in her both GP). Anyway, they are both in the GPF so it is ok.

Courtney was a surprise but as an underdogs cheerleader I am happy for her. Maybe this year she will make the worlds team, I would like to see what she can do on the world stage because Polina already had her chances.

I am also happy for Mirai and I think it's the first time in a long time she really enjoys her skating and her 3F-3T looked very close to being ratified.

Not a big fan of Satoko, she is so nice and artistic and consistent but... something is missing. For me, of course. But congrats and the GPF should be very interesting with 2 US ladies, 2 russians and 2 japanese ladies, in Barcelona, so, on a neutral ground.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai robbed again! Only one visible error (2-foot on second jump in combo)and she scores below skaters with step-outs, pops and falls.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Well, I definetely expect a medal for Ashley. And Gracie would surely have something to say about it. So, as you said, the americand should do good in Boston. They can do it because they already proved it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I don't think Ashley and Gracie "proved it" so far. They had several good showings in the GP over the last seasons, but usually fell short at the big stages. They have a track record for being almost there, but not making it in the end. Now they'll have the added pressure of skating worlds at home, which IMO makes both of them wildcards - pretty much independently of how they'll do at GPF/Nats/4CC.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm thrilled for Courtney and Satoko. They ruined my predictions, but I don't mind! Sorry that both Ashley and Mao didn't perform at their very best, but I expect they will do better at GPF.

Will have to check out the skates later.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Good Morning Everyone, Shocked is the only word that comes to mind right now. Courtney Hicks defeats Asada and Wagner. I have to wonder if even SHE, thought that was possible. With all the US Diva's we have right now, she wasn't even on my radar until I saw her SP yesterday. She's gonna hate me but, her new name in my head is T.J. as she reminds me so much of the Tonya Harding I saw in 1991. A fast, exciting skater who knocked Kristi Yamaguchi off the top step of the podium in Oakland.

Last edited:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Everyone before the ladies event: :party2: :yahoo:
Everyone after the ladies event: :confused: :sad4: :con3:

whatif

Medalist
This competition managed to do the impossible. Succeeded in being worse than Bordeaux. Just awful.

Mao is the same old Mao, same Ashley. Myahara with jumps in need of microscope. Things are looking good for Russians, yet again.