2016 Autumn Classic Ladies Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2016 Autumn Classic Ladies Free Skate

Icenetwork

Rinkside
I hoped mirai used the original choreography from skate Detroit. I don't like this choreography as much.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree that it's better now than later. You could also tell that Mirai totally knew that she UR'ed a lot in that performance with her reaction and how tense she looked in the KnC. The short was so clean, she looked visibly tight during this program and it carried over into tighter jumps.

I sadly agree. Both she and Tom knew at the end of the skate that the nerve monsters came out of the ice and grabbed her, forcing out the bad habits she overcame in the short program. And who amoung us have not faced those monsters? The main thing for me was she faced the monsters in the short and beat them. Best wishes to her and Gracie this season in fighting off the monsters lurking in the ice!
(Good comp. I loved Alaine's dress and music and performance and I can say the same for Rika too. Sorry I missed the POTO performance.:sad21: )

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm still pleasantly surprised that Alaine won the free. Good for her, she could use a good confidence boosting! Keep the momentum going into the GP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Report from the venue 1/4

Warning : I am not an expert, just a fan. I will tell you my tales the way I lived them. I am not attempting to do any propaganda : only a few of my faves were there today anyways. There are a few skaters that unfortunately I may be more demanding on, from seeing how well they can do from watching online streaming etc... So my reports, which I will put in each thread, will only be about what I saw, what I perceived and how I felt today. I may be a bit cautious about a skater or ecstatic about another because of today's performance but it doesn't mean that my mind is set forever. Just thought I would precise this, because I simply want to entertain those who feel like reading those, not get into fan wars... actually, at the event, there was ONLY love!!!! It was so good to be surrounded by so much LOVE for figure skating!

Well.. now you know it... if you didn't, I live in the beautiful city of Montreal, Canada. Home of great training centers for Ice Dance and pairs, biggest city in French speaking ie poutine eating Canada.

I have no idea when was the last time we got an event here, but I haven't lived here forever, so it's the first chance I do have to attend a live international competition.

First, I had to go through about 17 stops on the subway... and oh my god... a never ending bus ride to middle of nowhere suburbia.... 4everchan is a downtown guy, usually walking everywhere... so about 90 minutes of transit later, I was desperate to see some skating.

When I arrived I had missed the first few ladies. Sorry Canadian girls. Next time, do better in the SP so I get to see if I arrive late.

The first complete program I saw was Anastasia's from Armenia. From having seen a couple jumps from previous skaters, I noticed something really special with her. She sort of floats in the air when jumping. She's very light. It's extremely beautiful. However, compared to the other ladies, she appears like she is lacking power. I liked her. I hope she keeps improving.

Next was Joshi It was good to see her right after as it confirmed how Anastasia is smoother but much less powerful. Joshi is a tall and athletic girl. It wasn't her best but she has a striking look on the ice.

Francesca from the USA was done. She came right away and sat with her mom, a couple people away. She spent the rest of the day watching. I think she does have potential but it's tough to get out of the USA and she's not quite there yet.

Mariko came onto the ice. Her selection of Adios Nonino was very interesting as it presents a different vibe than the one we usually get. Her costume was gorgeous. However, she had all sort of issues.... One thing that nobody else but her did, at least, to my perception, on her 3Lz, she picked and the noise was SOOOOO loud... like a sledge hammer... nobody else did such a thing... I wonder if anyone can tell me what that was... I was like OUCH when I heard it. Her jumps were leaning a lot in the air. In the end I felt like the choreo didn't address the rhythmic parts of the tango, just the lyrical part so I was disappointed. Her layback was beautiful though.

Spotted at that point : Michael Slipchuk

Alaine came on the ice.I was so nervous. She's the only one all night that I got nervous for. Probably because I hoped she did better after her SP. Oh... and the nerves I usually get for a skater watching from home are NOTHING compared to live. HAHA... In any case, the blue of her dress is very nice. She looked focused in the warmup so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. What was nice about her program compared to some others is that she was really well-timed with the music. Highlights in movements were dead on with musical highlights. Of course, you all saw her jump with power and confidence. It reminded me of her performance at Nationals. Regarding her spins. Well, I was just a bit above ice level and I have to say that from that angle, they look really cool. So for those calling it the peeing dog spin... it doesn't look like that at all !

STANDING OVATION
: she is ecstatic and does a happy dance in the pre-KNC

Next was Rika. Unfortunately, despite a gorgeous costume, a gutsy performance, it was incredibly flat and dry. Her music is SO powerful, but she didn't connect to it. Her shoulders were down (BTW it looks less hunched back LIVE than on TV) and her face was pretty dead. Very underwhelming.

I was excited to see Lil Bet... Yup, it's no joke. She is by far the tiniest girl on the ice. What I noticed right away is her arms. She uses them very beautifully. She has a sense of where she is and how it looks to the audience. Her jumps are okay. However, she often goes on a tilt in the air and then it gets back straight so often today, I had the impression that she was going to crash, but then she would land... It was not her greatest skate. We didn't see a 4S attempt. In the pre KnC, Brian Orser who is a very very handsome man I must say, was extremely supportive. She faked a smile and they went to the KnC.

At that point, the crowd finds out that Alaine is still in first with 2 skaters to go... there's a little roar of happiness.

The award for most gorgeous dress goes to Na Hyun I was so happy to hear some Asian music. Honestly, music was a huge disappointment at this event! But not in her case. Her 3L-3L was exciting to watch but it looked UR to me from afar (haven't looked at protocols yet). I didn't like how she goes into the jumps. It wasn't like the other skaters. It wasn't smooth and elegant. Very laboured. Slow spins and footwork, lots of work to get to the top levels IMHO but also lots of potential. Nobody seemed surprised when her score was announced.

And finally, Mirai. For those of you a bit overwhelmed by this long post, I promise the others will be shorter. I took less and less notes as we went by! HAHA

Mirai had a wonderful warm up. She looked good and confident. But then, right at the beginning, we saw a difference in her skating. She was now stiffer. She fought a lot... but it looked like she would get many calls and she rightfully did. I thought her ABBA music selection was great. I was hoping for something entertaining. I have always disliked how people call her names like deadface but I have to say that a little smile would have gone a long way. I am sure she is thinking about her elements in the early season but here's an idea : why don't you think that smiling is also an element and add it on ;) It her music gets muted on youtube, do not fret. You can watch this program with ANY music. It was like she didn't care for it at all. I have always liked Mirai quite a lot and will continue to like her. Her donut to sit to I spin was KURAYZEE awesome... But damn, I was really hoping for a much better performance.

As I said, the only great skate today was Alaine's. Too bad her SP didn't bring her more points. (After an unusual fall in there on the lutz, she had to tag a 3T after the loop which was gutsy but costly as it wasn't really nice.... so she was penalized doubly. )

This is my recap for the ladies.... I was very focused on the skating.... now the ADD will start... will include the SPOTTED and more side stories in other posts ;)

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
^I am going to have to find Rika's skate again and watch it, or wait for the GP circuit. I liked it. And quite a number of Japanese ladies have had trouble showing emotion in their faces over the years....then there is Ashley Wagner...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^I am going to have to find Rika's skate again and watch it, or wait for the GP circuit. I liked it. And quite a number of Japanese ladies have had trouble showing emotion in their faces over the years....then there is Ashley Wagner...

As I said, this was today for Rika. I loved her Riverdance last year and she showed lots of joy when skating it. Today's program in its current performance was extremely underwhelming. I don't want my comment to be stereotyped to Japanese women because there were people who didn't emote anything today, and some who did, regardless of nation. It's very early in the season and I am sure that things will get easier for skaters and that the performance levels will increase. Yet, for some, it was already there. Are they readier? Is it more natural for them? I have no clue.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ref: showing facial expression and dealing with concentration at the same time. I am thinking it is a hard skill for her to master. She used to have it in her youth but she has been concentrating so hard on the tech side when on the ice that the expression part is supressed. Makes me sad but in this day and age, tech trumphs all....Let 'er fly, Mirai!

True. That's why my favorites are Ashley, Adam, Javier, Jason, Misha, Gaby/Guilliame. .... who give equal value to expression and performance while striving and improving the technical.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I was underwhelmed by the overall FS performances yesterday while Rika's program still looks to me most interesting one regardless of lacking her usual sparkles (perhaps jet leg? or the hosed PC in the SP may make her discouraged). I can be in a minority, but I was totally unimpressed by Alaine's FS. I don't like the unfamiliar music to probably some Middle Eastern theme but she didn't even feel the music and the jump rotations looked questionable and landings were iffy, so I don't agree with her score. While Rika's postures come always under criticism, Alaine's wildness in her skate is distracting at least for me. Among the current pool of Canadians ladies, Gabby remains as my favorite (Kaetlyn is not back yet in form unfortunately).

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As I said, this was today for Rika. I loved her Riverdance last year and she showed lots of joy when skating it. Today's program in its current performance was extremely underwhelming. I don't want my comment to be stereotyped to Japanese women because there were people who didn't emote anything today, and some who did, regardless of nation. It's very early in the season and I am sure that things will get easier for skaters and that the performance levels will increase. Yet, for some, it was already there. Are they readier? Is it more natural for them? I have no clue.

I was very happy to have my wife see Rika's riverdance live at Spokane this Spring. I have noted it is much easier for skaters to smile during shows and galas, but Rika did a great job with Riverdance. (disclaimer: we like Irish music). I am certainly not a racist but I do find the cultural differences in skating interesting...For instance, while we have seen many great pairs from China, there are few pairs and dance couples from Japan, which I am told by Japanese fans that in the past this was a cultural thing.
At any rate, I have liked Rika ever since I saw her live in Canada and hope to see her again.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
True. That's why my favorites are Ashley, Adam, Javier, Jason, Misha, Gaby/Guilliame. .... who give equal value to expression and performance while striving and improving the technical.

I have to wonder if it is a gift. Javier and Ashley and Jason for sure have it. Expression can come from the soul or you have to be a very good actor, as ice dancers have to be. Anyway, I really enjoy those that can put it out there.
Imagine Javier's world winning FS without facial expression!

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I have to wonder if it is a gift. Javier and Ashley and Jason for sure have it. Expression can come from the soul or you have to be a very good actor, as ice dancers have to be. Anyway, I really enjoy those that can put it out there.
Imagine Javier's world winning FS without facial expression!

But he has the same facial expression for years, i mean, no wonder, he is skating the same program for years now :think:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Haven't watched it yet but seems Mirai is still struggling with URs oh dear. I hope she can keep working on that before the GP events. Huge congrats to Mirai for winning just the same! I hope keeps it up in the SP and improves overall in that program and the FS as the season progresses! :biggrin:

TGee

Record Breaker
Alaine's Canel Spin!!!! :bow:

https://youtu.be/lkyyCoAOxiA?t=1m55s

Am I the only one loving that position?

I'm certainty of the "it's so interesting" camp" !!

4everchan says it looked cool in person, and he seemed surprised by some of the negatives on social media.

I'm reminded of Toller Cranston who really pushed spins through his use of alternating extended and contracted positions. Folks thought those changing positions looked wild and darn odd once upon a time....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Haven't watched it yet but seems Mirai is still struggling with URs oh dear. I hope she can keep working on that before the GP events. Huge congrats to Mirai for winning just the same! I hope keeps it up in the SP and improves overall in that program and the FS as the season progresses! :biggrin:

I just watched her at nats 2016 in the FS while eating dinner and she was great. Nerves are very tough to fight. I suppose I cant send her some of my chill pills??? No? Oh well....you go, Mirai!

(Funny story. There we were, my wife and I watching the last two flights in Ladies FS US Nats 2016 tonight on the DVR and yes I was tired and ill but for the life of me, I couldnt remember who had won! Then, when Gracie won, all the memories came back...talking to her at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast the next day, the excitement of the FS, everything from St. Paul. Old age isnt for sissies.)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Finally catching up with ladies and I have to say I was a bit sad to see them getting UR calls. But if this will help them be better in the future, then I hope they take it as constructive criticism.

Chloe's programs this season are to two beautiful pieces of music. I think she did a good job interpreting her music.

Both Larkyn Austman (POTO girl) and Michelle Long (Nessun Dorma girl) can skate beautifully but if their technical issues are not resolved then they likely will not be getting international assignments. However if Veronik Mallet is injured then we may be seeing Michelle at Skate Canada. 4everchan you mentioned you almost ran her over. Was she looking ok?

Joshi is so athletic. Her programs are always high energy. I thought her music choice was interesting. Was she trying to make a statement in support of feminism? Powerful music to skate to.

I had heard Mariko was training in Montreal. It was nice to see her with Bruno Marcotte in the kiss and cry. Not the smoothest outing but hopefully she improves as the season goes on.

Rika :( She's so much fun to watch doing lively programs. Her Cirque SP and Riverdance from last season. Even the Let's Get Loud EX with the puffy dress. Kudos for trying something else, but I hope she goes back to something a bit up tempo for the Olympic season. The Japanese ladies are so strong though that I hope she still has a chance to fight for a major championship spot.

Elizabet looks improved from last season. Going to echo some comments that she chooses music more suited to her style. She'll be happy about this medal after the disastrous US Classic outing.

You all have covered my thoughts on Mirai. Thankfully the US has 3 spots at Worlds. Will be a fun season with Ashley, Gracie, Polina, Mirai, and the other strong ladies vying for a podium spot at Nationals.

Alaine :love: That step sequence was awesome. If you think she wasn't skating to the music, you need to watch that step sequence again. And yay for one 'unusual spin'! She is clearly enjoying this program and I can see David Wilson's stamp on it. The music is not Middle Eastern, but from the soundtrack of the HBO series "Rome". It says so on the 1st page of thread too, thanks to dorispulaski. The most interesting thing for me was that her mark here was almost exactly the same as her mark at Minto Summer Skate (ACI 129.50, MSS 129.65), though she switched the 3S and 3Lo. Glad that she's done this kind of skate in an international event so it's not just a Nationals thing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Finally catching up with ladies and I have to say I was a bit sad to see them getting UR calls. But if this will help them be better in the future, then I hope they take it as constructive criticism.

Chloe's programs this season are to two beautiful pieces of music. I think she did a good job interpreting her music.

Both Larkyn Austman (POTO girl) and Michelle Long (Nessun Dorma girl) can skate beautifully but if their technical issues are not resolved then they likely will not be getting international assignments. However if Veronik Mallet is injured then we may be seeing Michelle at Skate Canada. 4everchan you mentioned you almost ran her over. Was she looking ok?

Joshi is so athletic. Her programs are always high energy. I thought her music choice was interesting. Was she trying to make a statement in support of feminism? Powerful music to skate to.

I had heard Mariko was training in Montreal. It was nice to see her with Bruno Marcotte in the kiss and cry. Not the smoothest outing but hopefully she improves as the season goes on.

Rika :( She's so much fun to watch doing lively programs. Her Cirque SP and Riverdance from last season. Even the Let's Get Loud EX with the puffy dress. Kudos for trying something else, but I hope she goes back to something a bit up tempo for the Olympic season. The Japanese ladies are so strong though that I hope she still has a chance to fight for a major championship spot.

Elizabet looks improved from last season. Going to echo some comments that she chooses music more suited to her style. She'll be happy about this medal after the disastrous US Classic outing.

You all have covered my thoughts on Mirai. Thankfully the US has 3 spots at Worlds. Will be a fun season with Ashley, Gracie, Polina, Mirai, and the other strong ladies vying for a podium spot at Nationals.

Alaine :love: That step sequence was awesome. If you think she wasn't skating to the music, you need to watch that step sequence again. And yay for one 'unusual spin'! She is clearly enjoying this program and I can see David Wilson's stamp on it. The music is not Middle Eastern, but from the soundtrack of the HBO series "Rome". It says so on the 1st page of thread too, thanks to dorispulaski. The most interesting thing for me was that her mark here was almost exactly the same as her mark at Minto Summer Skate (ACI 129.50, MSS 129.65), though she switched the 3S and 3Lo. Glad that she's done this kind of skate in an international event so it's not just a Nationals thing.

I didn't know Veronik was injured and wouldn't have been able to tell from looking at her yesterday.

She's quite attractive even though I walked by so fast I noticed her sparkly eyes and beautiful hair ;)

She is not Nikolaj Sorensen ;) but yeah:) she looked fine.

I unfortunately didn't see the two other Canadian ladies live. I guess I should be a true keener and watch their videos but I sort of think that with the top 3, even with Veronik out, it will be tough for any girls to get sent to events without the proper jump content.